Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:29 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Fighting Battles, Losing the War 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I'm leaning more towards Tools of Freedom instruction, like a youth outreach program. It is important that we keep the country and town children in the pipeline of hunter safety programs, but the numbers are far too low even for that.

It seems to me that we need to contribute more individually. We're concerned about our tools and ammo, and our enjoyment of the collecting, shooting, reloading, competing...
What if instead of trying to make a profit or break even on a 2A familiarity program, we instead found a way to funnel a percentage of our income / time to really going out and reaching the youth? I am not talking about donations to large organizations, but buying ammo and paying instructors ? Asking firearms instructors to dedicate a weekend or a single day a month to providing free training to youth? Ammo paid for by us...
How about more of us spend a few weekends and a little $ and get certified as instructors, and do some of that free training ourselves?

https://firearmtraining.nra.org/become-an-instructor/

It is not that expensive, doesn't take too much time, and it not only furthers a personal aspect of our firearms hobby but makes a lasting mark on the legacy of new shooters. Here, in our own neighborhoods and in our state, which is on the verge of falling off the 2A map into a "must avoid" state like California.

Right now it seems a little bit sketchy, this idea of sending a check to an NRA instructor and asking him to teach a class a month for free... Or maybe we sponsor (pay for) a free class a month.
But if we started this on a small scale with a few of the NRA instructors already right here on WaGuns we'd have a model and experience at how this might work. Through community outreach already in the 2A, youth inviting a few of their friends, let those friends know that next weekend or next month we're doing it again, and to find someone who has never seen a gun to get their parents' permission to attend a 2A safety course.
It wouldn't be easy. It's not easy watching our state turn into a state in which law abiding good guys are disarmed by the will of the people due to lack of experience and knowledge, and fear.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NRA rifle instructor course January in Bothell.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2