Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Kent shooting: breaking 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
Mediumrarechicken wrote:
So why did the atf set this up at a lowes and not somewhere safer for the public? Seems pretty damn stupid to do a "gun sale" with someone that they know did something illegal or has something illegal. If they set the person up why don't they just get a warrant? Fuck the atf!!! Yes I know you dumb fucks can see this.

Yup. This is fucked. Don't endanger the public. What if one of us sees guns come out and draws to protect ourselves/our family and the ATF ends up shooting a lawfully armed citizen because they decided to turn a Lowe's parking lot into the OK fucking corral? Unbelievable disregard for public safety! Ban ATF's!

Not to be argumentative or anything, but name a good place for a potential gun fight in the city. MRC says take them at home with a warrant. They are probably assumed to be pretty well armed (like they are selling guns or something). Do they live in an apartment building? Condo? Townhouse? What happens when someone on the inside opens up with a 7.62 x 39 or .308 on the inside because they decided to take them at home? How many people are endangered now when each round stops two houses or apartments away? If they are jacked up hardcore tweeker criminals, you do not know what the hell will go down.

It may not have been the best idea to use the Lowe's parking lot. But I will bet the bad guys called the location. I will also bet that it was not in the main populated area near the entrance. Like maybe over by the dead appliance drop zone or something. Usually if you are going to rip someone off, you do not do it in the pick up zone in the front of the building.

I will reserve judgement until a few more details come in. But that's just me.

All in all, so far this has a happy ending.

P.S. Hasn't the thought of drawing into the middle of LEO involved situation ever crossed your mind before? I am dying to hear your solution on that one.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:25 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

skey wrote:
Not to be argumentative or anything, but name a good place for a potential gun fight in the city.

Ed Murray's house. Kashama Sawant's house. Most anywhere on capital hill. Any "safe injection" site. To name a few. :bigsmile:

No no no, I'm joking. You make a fair point I was just thinking somewhere like a business park that is closed after certain hours. Lowes is generally open late and definitely a popular destination Fridays and into the weekend as folks prepare for their weekend projects. I know there are some concessions they have to make to keep the facade of a "legit deal" with people operating illegally. I just feel like they could have exercised a little more discretion in choosing a location for an illegal weapons sting to take place.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:33 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

skey wrote:

P.S. Hasn't the thought of drawing into the middle of LEO involved situation ever crossed your mind before? I am dying to hear your solution on that one.

LEO involved situation? This is undercover meeting with gun dealers. You think someone was wearing a badge and a jacket with a big "POLICE" written on it? How would anyone know this was a LEO involved situation? Another potential danger of having this sting take place in such a populated location.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
skey wrote:
Not to be argumentative or anything, but name a good place for a potential gun fight in the city.

Ed Murray's house. Kashama Sawant's house. Most anywhere on capital hill. Any "safe injection" site. To name a few. :bigsmile:

No no no, I'm joking. You make a fair point I was just thinking somewhere like a business park that is closed after certain hours. Lowes is generally open late and definitely a popular destination Fridays and into the weekend as folks prepare for their weekend projects. I know there are some concessions they have to make to keep the facade of a "legit deal" with people operating illegally. I just feel like they could have exercised a little more discretion in choosing a location for an illegal weapons sting to take place.

Usually it is best to let the bad guys select the location and cover from above with an aircraft. It makes them feel that they have the home court advantage. At least that is what I understand from folks I know who do that sort of thing for a living. There are federal aircraft here suited for the task and that is probably who took the lead from above.

The guys who have to plan for all the variables are actually pretty darn good at what they do. With few exceptions, you don't here of a lot of civilians getting hurt and that is nationally. It is pretty hard for me to pitch a bitch. That sucks, because I am always looking for a good reason to bitch about something.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:46 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

skey wrote:
sinus211 wrote:
skey wrote:

Usually it is best to let the bad guys select the location and cover from above with an aircraft. It makes them feel that they have the home court advantage. At least that is what I understand from folks I know who do that sort of thing for a living. There are federal aircraft here suited for the task and that is probably who took the lead from above.

The guys who have to plan for all the variables are actually pretty darn good at what they do. With few exceptions, you don't here of a lot of civilians getting hurt and that is nationally. It is pretty hard for me to pitch a bitch. That sucks, because I am always looking for a good reason to bitch about something.

Your rationale is clear and completely understandable. They're professionals, let professionals work. But....

If this had been the Lynnwood Lowes and you were in the parking lot with your children when gunfire broke out, would you still feel like "they're professionals, let them work?" Or would you feel like "WTF, my kids could have been hurt?"

It's easier to take the relaxed approach when it's far from home. When it happens right in front of you, I feel like the narrative changes a bit.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
skey wrote:

LEO involved situation? This is undercover meeting with gun dealers. You think someone was wearing a badge and a jacket with a big "POLICE" written on it? How would anyone know this was a LEO involved situation? Another potential danger of having this sting take place in such a populated location.

Nope, I didn't think anyone was labeled "COPS". But like I said, since you carry, haven't you given that some thought? How would you react. You have your family, and you directly engage a threat that may not be a direct threat. Are they a threat, or are they shooting at each other? You have your family, and they are shooting at each other. I would presume you would get your family down. Do you expose yourself and position to engage? If not, why would you get shot?

Don't get me wrong, when bullets fly shit can and does happen, but if it is happening in a city....where is the good place?

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
skey wrote:
sinus211 wrote:
skey wrote:

Your rationale is clear and completely understandable. They're professionals, let professionals work. But....

If this had been the Lynnwood Lowes and you were in the parking lot with your children when gunfire broke out, would you still feel like "they're professionals, let them work?" Or would you feel like "WTF, my kids could have been hurt?"

It's easier to take the relaxed approach when it's far from home. When it happens right in front of you, I feel like the narrative changes a bit.

Of course. Anyone with half a brain would be like WTF. Even I would at 1/4 brain. Did it happen right in front of people? I haven't seen that yet.
But it would be the same thing if all hell broke loose at their residence. The difference is that the kid is reading on Mom's lap near the front of the apartment when the bullets fly.

Again, since we do not know how everything unfolded regarding the location, I will reserve judgement. We still do not even know what portion of the parking lot this happen in which is a big factor IMHO. There might be some pictures but I have not seen them.

I am not a LEO apologist by any means, but I will give the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
Ya for some reason Im thinking this is just a taaaaad bit more than two normal guys trading guns post 594.

They were probably selling Ghost guns with 30 caliber magazine clips.

They should have had the sting at Walmart, because well we all know

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I missed another opportunity to try out some of my new toys. aholes

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The photos and news reports indicate it happened in the Lowes parking lot out by the highway, I believe it's Pacific. Heavily traveled.

As discussed above, while not a great place for a shootout, is there really a realistic great place? The criminals might likely have picked the location, and would get spooked if the "buyers" suggested a vacant lot near the edge of town, or the docs down on the Sound with no witnesses.

The agents sorta have to act like normal buyers, e.g. wanting a busy well traveled area as has been discussed on this forum pre I594. To avoid getting robbed ironically, you pick a public parking lot.

A news report I watched said that the agents showed restraint in a gun battle by not firing when the backdrop was unsafe (a bus, heavy traffic, etc.).

No innocents were killed and the 2 perps were taken down. No agents hurt. I read this a well played.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't see a problem with LE choosing where they did, as long as they observed proper firearm rules ie know your target and what's beyond it.

Also, 594 would have prevented this...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
L_O_G wrote:
Im at that Lowes probably three times a week, and that area is a complete shithole. People openly selling drugs, girls looking for dates walking around the short term hotels, its entirely fucked. I wouldn't be surprised if the guys lived right around there and wanted to keep close to home. The guys setting up the deal might not have had a choice.

side note: This is right where the new Dicks restaurant is going. :AR15firing:

Kent was turning into a shithole when I moved here in 1979.
First white trash flushed this community down the toilet and then minorities gave it a Coup de gras.
It was such a wonderful bedroom community in the 60's and 70's.... :(

These cities/communities are 'recoverable', a big police presence and conservative politicians can turn a community around.
And tough judges.

Pretty much why I wanted to get out of Bonney Lake. It'll be Kent in 10-15 years. It's already South Auburn.

All it takes is one win by the liberals to undo all the good that the tough-on-crime conservative did. Just look at New York City. It's well on its way back to the pre-Rudy G. days.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:00 pm

hkcavalier wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:
L_O_G wrote:
Im at that Lowes probably three times a week, and that area is a complete shithole. People openly selling drugs, girls looking for dates walking around the short term hotels, its entirely fucked. I wouldn't be surprised if the guys lived right around there and wanted to keep close to home. The guys setting up the deal might not have had a choice.

side note: This is right where the new Dicks restaurant is going. :AR15firing:

Kent was turning into a shithole when I moved here in 1979.
First white trash flushed this community down the toilet and then minorities gave it a Coup de gras.
It was such a wonderful bedroom community in the 60's and 70's.... :(

These cities/communities are 'recoverable', a big police presence and conservative politicians can turn a community around.
And tough judges.

Pretty much why I wanted to get out of Bonney Lake. It'll be Kent in 10-15 years. It's already South Auburn.

All it takes is one win by the liberals to undo all the good that the tough-on-crime conservative did. Just look at New York City. It's well on its way back to the pre-Rudy G. days.

Yeah the war on drugs worked really good........

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was a block or two away from this incident last night (at the Kent Eagles club), had no idea (we had a live band last night). When we left the road was closed, now I know why....

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:28 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I do not begrudge them the location... for one thing, we don't know all the details. The choice may not have been theirs, but for various possible reasons they could not decline.
More importantly to me, I accept that life is dangerous. Dangerous does not mean bad in my view.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next