Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:45 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Cali Bamboo Flooring 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just wanted to say thanks to Olympia173 for starting this thread.

We are in the process of renovating our home and looking at floors. Reading this thread was very informative.

I will have to send Sinus a PM with additional questions.

Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
Sinus is a wealth of flooring knowledge. Thanks.

I'm am amateur at installing floors. I can comment on the short term installation of the actual bamboo that you're intending to install, but no experience with the click lock stuff.

I installed ~800 sq. feet of the bamboo planks, I think they were 5/8 or 3/4 inch thick. I had a dog. I can attest that they mar very easily. It's a soft material. It did look nice if you can overlook the marring.

I liked bamboo for the ecology of it - it's a grass and very affordable and grows quicker.

If you need something that won't easily mar, I can attest to Brazilian hardwoods like cherry. I installed that parts of my current house and with two dogs and over several years not a scratch.

Must have been some crap Bamboo flooring....one of my dogs is 110 lbs and the other 75lbs. Been over a year, not a single dog nail mark.
Engineered strand Bamboo is very hard, much harder than Oak.
Ask Mike, he will tell you the same thing.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bet all yous guys that want bamboo flooring have SS appliances and granite counter tops.... :facepalm2:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jeffbur wrote:
I just wanted to say thanks to Olympia173 for starting this thread.

We are in the process of renovating our home and looking at floors. Reading this thread was very informative.

I will have to send Sinus a PM with additional questions.

Thanks, Jeffbur. The forum always seems to have an answer to my questions, and in this instance Sinus and others were very helpful. Good luck with your renovations. My wife and I are doing the same.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
I bet all yous guys that want bamboo flooring have SS appliances and granite counter tops.... :facepalm2:

Yep, Stainless appliances....and Quartz countertops. :bigsmile:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

I'm not sure what's wrong with stainless appliances or granite counter tops. Am I missing something?

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:57 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Olympia173 wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

I'm not sure what's wrong with stainless appliances or granite counter tops. Am I missing something?

Agreed, I am all stainless and Quartz as well. Oh yhea, and real hardwood too.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Massivedesign wrote:
real hardwood too.

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:12 am

Olympia173 wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

Im assuming that he has 30 year old linoleum, laminate counters and an off white toaster oven, and that's his way of trying to make fun of people that like a house with nice things

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
Olympia173 wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

Im assuming that he has 30 year old linoleum, laminate counters and an off white toaster oven, and that's his way of trying to make fun of people that like a house with nice things

Don't forget the white, Frigidaire over/under fridge/freezer combo. With ice trays.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Olympia173 wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Caveman Jim wrote:

He's just poking fun at the latest trend(s) in kitchen upgrades. Stainless, Bamboo and granite/quartz are all the rage.

They do look good...but will be "dated" in a few years...just like my varnished Alder cabinets and 80's orange countertops are! Not to mention Harvest Gold bathtub and toilet. :ROFLMAO: Time marches on, in a few years some young couple will be looking at your purchases and snickering about "old people decor" thumbsup

-- Travis A Kisner

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, i re-did my upstairs bathroom about 8 years ago....and i look at it now and think, WTF was i thinking Blue and White??
That will be changing soon. So after a new Kitchen, new floors, new paint and trim, the Wife wants a new house now....and i am retiring in 4 years at 58.
Not a good plan Honey... :facepalm2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been trying to convince the better half to allow me to install old oil soaked wood flooring in my gun room for past 2 years during this remodel.
Been dragging my feet hoping to wear her down over time and making it the last project to be done, she's still winning....
Have many fond memories of the flooring growing up when I went with dad to Copeland Lumber, Arlington hardware, Coast to Coast store, Western Auto etc in my hometown.
She's definitely not into it! Not like it's a living space or something she'll spend any time in, but she makes the rules, or misery.

Sun May 24, 2020 5:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3