Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:42 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Hello Military Active, Veterans & Retirees. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As has been mentioned, only booze and no-tax gun transfers are good deals. Everything else is hit and miss, and rarely worth the hassle of getting on base. And I have ID!

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back when I was active, (before dirt was invented.), guns weren't even available.

But alcohol and cigarettes were tons cheaper.

Pretty much everything at the PX was a lot cheaper than any local store, as well.

Even going to see a movie was less than half price.

Sad to hear it has changed.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:12 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I heard the military exchanges cut back the discounts on alcohol, but WA has the highest liquor tax in the nation so it has to be cheaper that what you can get in stores.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The concessionaires have to pay an AAFES tax either like 19 or 29% so they like business.

AAFES and the commissary (DCA) must be able to stand on their two feet now and be competitive (and not get subsidized so heavily), therefore they have to raise rates.

We don't need government grocery stores anymore in most places so it is good they go. And with "dual" bases, e.g. JBLM, we don't need two of everything, two commissaries, PX/BX so it is good at least one goes.

Added:
Dollar movies, buck a lane bowling, NCO and O-clubs were great in their day, but they were heavily subsidized and that mostly went away after Desert Storm. Was great while it lasted. If you are overseas and want some recreation without going outside base, it was the way to go. But times are tough and there is too much competition from the outside.

Sandwiches in the commissaries are a great deal. I don't know how they make money.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
I heard the military exchanges cut back the discounts on alcohol, but WA has the highest liquor tax in the nation so it has to be cheaper that what you can get in stores.

Canadian Mist on post=$14
Off post=$26

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It depends on where you are located. The commissary is by far cheaper than buying groceries in town here. The one exception is when Safeway runs their loss leader on some meats (i.e. CAB NY Steak every other blue moon for 4.99lb, can't beat that on base). Milk is much cheaper, cereal, canned goods, fresh veggies, all less expensive than Safeway here.

The NEX is hit or miss, Wally-world has some stuff cheaper, and Amazon is always an option. Alcohol is much cheaper on base, but if you have a Costco near by they are better at times. $8.50 for a hair cut.

As far as I can remember, prices of tobacco products have been increased to try to get servicemen to quit, but they are still a little cheaper than off base, just not as much as they used to be.

As for recreational stuff goes, bowling, paintball, movies, golf, ski rental, boat rental, etc are a bigger push for the military again. They want their "Single Sailors" to do something other than drink and get in trouble. Movies here are up a little $5 adult, $3 for kids. The concession stand is dirt cheap compared to going in town to watch a movie. For a short while after the 9/11 build up these things were neglected and in some cases closed down as funds were scarce, the military in whole found that by closing these things the delinquency of the younger single military members rose, so they are back into funding and upgrading these things.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:34 am

golddigger14s wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
Stupid question:

If I'm on base can I walk in and buy something without showing ID?

I've been on base a few times to work on things but always assumed I couldn't buy anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must have active, or retiree ID.
New rules allow veterans to buy online.

I'm just talking about buying a snack or lunch. Do they check on everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but why would you want to pay more? Foot long Subway $8 on post, $6 off post
Where are the $6 foot longs? I got a sweet onion last night at the Tumwater Pilot Subway for $8.49.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:49 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Not all franchisees honor the advertised price.
Up here the $5 Little Ceasar's hot and ready is $7.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:08 am

Meat is usually quite a bit cheaper at the commissary than at local safeways and fred meyers. At least according to the family members who work at those stores and deal with pricing and buying.

Part of the problem with selection has always been the grocery and department stores. They have fought tooth and nail to not allow a lot of stuff to be sold CONUS. Their biggest loss was when AAFEX and the NEX were finally allowed to sell big screen TVs in the late 90s or early 2000s. I bet some Congressmen lost a lot of their donations from walmart and costco over that!

Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only thing I ever noticed savings on at the PX was booze and tobacco.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2