Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:57 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 2009 Honda CRV Redline 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 2009 Honda CRV. When it's in park, and you push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there, what happens?

The engine redlines. Does it have a safety feature to cut gas to protect itself?

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:33 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a 2012 Honda CR-V. When it's in park and I push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there, here's what it does:

Spoiler: show
I have no freaking idea. I've never been crazy enough to try that. icon_eek

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah well somebody did it to my car. It appeared to backfire about 7 times, spitting out giant puffs of smoke. I'm curious if that was the glorious Honda engine with only 70k miles exploding and being damaged, or the car defending itself, or what. I drove it 200 miles after this, and it appeared to be fine. Anything to check out?

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That was just your Vtec kicking in bro. The backfires were from the fact all rice power had nowhere to go.

I'm sure your car is fine, but I get paid to work in a rail yard not a car shop.

Which is the better: a good friend, a good heart, a good eye, a good neighbor, a good wife, or the understanding of consequences? It is none of these. A warm and senitive soul which knows the worth of fellowship and the price of the individual dignity, this is best.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes its called a Rev limiter

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:36 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Your car should have a rev limiter. Say it's 6500rpm. The engine will hit 6500rpm, bounce back down to about 6000rpm and rapidly repeat until you take your foot off the gas. Is your engine blown? Does it still drive without blowing blue smoke or overheating?

Doing this won't generally blow an engine immediately, hence the rev limiter, but it sure as hell isn't a good idea. What happened?

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
I have a 2009 Honda CRV. When it's in park, and you push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there, what happens?

The engine redlines. Does it have a safety feature to cut gas to protect itself?

I'm curious what prompted you to try this.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
Your car should have a rev limiter. Say it's 6500rpm. The engine will hit 6500rpm, bounce back down to about 6000rpm and rapidly repeat until you take your foot off the gas. Is your engine blown? Does it still drive without blowing blue smoke or overheating?

Doing this won't generally blow an engine immediately, hence the rev limiter, but it sure as hell isn't a good idea. What happened?

Okay thanks for the info. When the rev limiter kicks in, what causes all the smoke to come out the exhaust and the loud noise?

Yes it ran without overheating. Not sure about blue smoke, didn't notice anything. I'll let it idle and check.

As to what happened, let's just say some people that appear normal, are actually retarded.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

Okay thanks for the info. When the rev limiter kicks in, what causes all the smoke to come out the exhaust and the loud noise?

Yes it ran without overheating. Not sure about blue smoke, didn't notice anything. I'll let it idle and check.

As to what happened, let's just say some people that appear normal, are actually retarded.

The smoke and assorted shit coming out of the tailpipe is usually mostly carbon and crud build up, which accumulates when you drive like a granny and gets blown out the back when you kick it in the ass (an oversimplification, but you get the idea). If it's blue, then yes, you could have a problem. Ditto a lot of white smoke, except that's usually a bigger concern for cars with a power adder. Black/gray is normal. The noise is probably just the engine hitting the rev limiter, which can be loud and irregular and generally unpleasant.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:21 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

mislabeled wrote:
snozzberries wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

The smoke and assorted shit coming out of the tailpipe is usually mostly carbon and crud build up, which accumulates when you drive like a granny and gets blown out the back when you kick it in the ass (an oversimplification, but you get the idea). If it's blue, then yes, you could have a problem. Ditto a lot of white smoke, except that's usually a bigger concern for cars with a power adder. Black/gray is normal. The noise is probably just the engine hitting the rev limiter, which can be loud and irregular and generally unpleasant.

:yes: When an engine raps that hard it's usually a pretty noisy experience.

Smoking out the tailpipe will happen under load (acceleration) if the engine is damaged. Blue smoke comes from burning oil. Probably just check the oil level today and then a month from now (assuming you don't notice any major problems before then). If you're burning oil you'll probably be a quart or more low the second time you check.

Personally I wouldn't be too worried. Most engines can take a little abuse without major damage. It's repeated abuse that causes problems. Slap this fucker over the head and never let them in your driver seat again.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info everybody.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah I wouldn't be worried. High horsepower engines bouncing of the Rev limiter isn't good for the oil pump gears. But for an inline 4 with low compression, you're fine. You could fop that pretty much all day with no issues

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:03 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Rev Limiters :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yeah what ever....

The limiter is the spring pressure not being strong enough to keep the valve on the seat. Noise you're hearing IS INTAKE AND EXHAUST PRESSURE GOING THE WRONG FREAKING WAY.

You guys are Nuts...

The computer will override some cars that are inadvertently revved up past 2000rpm and not in gear...like when a chick climbs in her Caddy with heals on and engine is running, pressing the gas by mistake....Its in SOME cars and its gotta be a Drive By Wire car though. GM and Ford do this.

But a Rev Limiter????

That's some funny shit.

Ask the buddy of mine at the end of the street what happened when his kid held the throttle down on his wifes 2005 Camry showing all the other knckle heads at High School how his moms Camry had a red line of 6200...

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually it's in most cars. Fuel is cut and timing is pulled. You're right about one thing, all drive by wire cars have electronically limited rpm, the 2009 crv has drive by wire.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All the shit blowing out the back is close to an Italian Tune Up. A no load Italian tune up!! :thumbsup2: :ROFLMAO:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tuneup

My 1996 Volvo had a rev limiter, my 2014 WRX has a rev limiter, all three Hondas in my driveway, Accord, Audesy and CR-V have rev limiters. The only one that pisses me off if the WRX. I still got room to rev and that bastart kicks in! :ROFLMAO:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next