Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:01 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 2009 Honda CRV Redline 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do know some offshore manufacturers have a limiter, but it's pulse width in the injectors to modulate rpm, at not only wot no load, but also speed.
Seem to recall that shutting off speed limiter, also shut down the rpm limit but don't know for sure.
Most carbed engines hit valve float before overcoming pumps ability to push fuel, electric pumps took care of that and simple regulated regulators have no ability to limit rpms, she'll go till she blows. Newer more electronically controlled vehicles are much easier to program everything. BUT!!!!not all new cars are rpm limited, an that funny ass noise you hear is the valves bouncing back up off the seat, with gasses going places it's not supposed to go and valve train thinking it time to blow...

Which begs to question a couple things.....why would one drop the go peddle without load?!?!!!! seriously! I've grenades more than just a few engines by purposely windowing a block, but not something I planned on keeping...
And it cannot be that expensive at all to put in an rpm limiter pill. I had a dozen different rev limiters I used in my race car, for different tracks that I didn't want to run past 7200 rpms going down the straight and what final drive I was using. Generally I'd get the light that it was activated just before I'd brake for a turn, IF I had the correct pill stuck in it. Think they were about $20 a piece an not expensive at all.

Now the diesel vehicles I work on, Ford an Chev, every single one of them have rev limiters, all controlled by the pcm and injector PW, at least the direct injection engines.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WaJim wrote:
Rix86 wrote:
I'm kinda surprised you think that. You seem to know your shit.
Google fuel cut Rev limit I'd guess should be plenty.

Well I guess its from the carnage I've seen in the last year and a half from the kids at the local highschool.

One late model BMW, a Toyota Camry and a Subaru WRX last year.

All EFI cars, alll blown up from over rev.

The Camry happened to be a buddy of mine...his kid was seen "on the limiter" doing a "burn out/drift" through an intersection in the rain.

That's why I question it. Pretty good test bench I'd say.

My kid is now graduated going to tech school...and those three were just kids he hung out with...there were stories of other engines expiring.

The WRX cuts the fuel injectors. And people reprogram their ECU's.

That said, WRX's can blow up with the bottom ends let go at high RPM, usually in relation to a bad braze on the oil pick-up tube and oil starvation. More Frequent in 2011, 2012, rare in 2013, have not heard of it in 2014+.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

STED9R wrote:
I do know some offshore manufacturers have a limiter, but it's pulse width in the injectors to modulate rpm, at not only wot no load, but also speed.
Seem to recall that shutting off speed limiter, also shut down the rpm limit but don't know for sure.
Most carbed engines hit valve float before overcoming pumps ability to push fuel, electric pumps took care of that and simple regulated regulators have no ability to limit rpms, she'll go till she blows. Newer more electronically controlled vehicles are much easier to program everything. BUT!!!!not all new cars are rpm limited, an that funny ass noise you hear is the valves bouncing back up off the seat, with gasses going places it's not supposed to go and valve train thinking it time to blow...

Which begs to question a couple things.....why would one drop the go peddle without load?!?!!!! seriously! I've grenades more than just a few engines by purposely windowing a block, but not something I planned on keeping...
And it cannot be that expensive at all to put in an rpm limiter pill. I had a dozen different rev limiters I used in my race car, for different tracks that I didn't want to run past 7200 rpms going down the straight and what final drive I was using. Generally I'd get the light that it was activated just before I'd brake for a turn, IF I had the correct pill stuck in it. Think they were about $20 a piece an not expensive at all.

Now the diesel vehicles I work on, Ford an Chev, every single one of them have rev limiters, all controlled by the pcm and injector PW, at least the direct injection engines.

Yeah they're all fuel cut. Spark cut would kill catalysts in a hurry.
There's some small amount of cars pulling timing beforehand, but most are just dropping fuel.
Its vastly different than valve float.
I could take a video of my tundra on the limiter, won't hurt it any.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Judging by the way most CRV drivers putt around, it probably did your engine some good to knock some carbon off.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:04 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

mancat wrote:
Judging by the way most CRV drivers putt around, it probably did your engine some good to knock some carbon off.

I resemble that remark.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mancat wrote:

My wife is the exception. She has a turbo and uses it. Scares the shit out of me. She says I worry more the older I get!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:19 am

It's fuel cut. It literally doesn t cost anything to add another action to the ecu.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix86 wrote:
STED9R wrote:

Yeah they're all fuel cut. Spark cut would kill catalysts in a hurry.
There's some small amount of cars pulling timing beforehand, but most are just dropping fuel.
Its vastly different than valve float.
I could take a video of my tundra on the limiter, won't hurt it any.

The limiter in my car was cycled cylinder plugs, would feel the neutral hp and no gain in speed, but no off sounds.
But then again, that's in a SBC spinning at 7200.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:17 am

Pablo wrote:
mancat wrote:

My wife is the exception. She has a turbo and uses it. Scares the shit out of me. She says I worry more the older I get!

Typically the most aggressive drivers I know are all women so it doesn't surprise me.

My wife used to have a friend who tailgated, sped, jerked across multi lanes of traffic to get to an exit, etc. She had a Neon SRT-4 and drove it like it was a go kart. My wife was with her once when she caught up to another driver at a stop light and threw a full soda through the other driver's open window and then sped off.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4