Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:18 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Question for the wood burning stove pros out here. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really enjoy stacking, splitting and burning wood. Maybe in 15 years when my body has more miles on it I wont be as big of a fan, but for now its great.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:03 am

mcyclonegt wrote:
Sorry I missed that part. It a bad choice on the pellet stove.

The only downside I could find for the pellet stove is reliance on electricity to run it... but there are several easy ways around that. Car battery and an inverter, generator, etc. Did you have a bad experience with pellets?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been to every corner of the forest and for the life of me I can't find anywhere you can harvest and split pellets? Anyone else know where to harvest pellets? Ive never even seen a pellet tree.

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:27 pm

Old Growth wrote:
I have been to every corner of the forest and for the life of me I can't find anywhere you can harvest and split pellets? Anyone else know where to harvest pellets? Ive never even seen a pellet tree.

Follow the rabbits and goats around... you'll find them... pick them up and put them in your basket.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:40 pm

I'm sensing there is no love lost between the wood burning crowd and the pellet burning crowd...

Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:31 pm

I was just adding to the jab... I myself was happy to just go turn the gas valve, push the igniter and have a fire going in 30 seconds last night - doesn't get any easier than that. In all honesty, I wish I had a wood stove -- keep seeing lots of pallets available locally - good free wood. Dad used to get a semi load of pallets dropped off and it was my job to cut them down - pretty quick work with an electric chainsaw - minimal effort for good dry wood, although it did burn quickly, but it burned hot.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although splitting, and stacking wood is a workout I really enjoy it. My Grandma always said getting firewood warms you twice. Not only the time you burn it, but also the time you stack it.

I contemplated a pellet stove, but I have a really good hookup on semi split firewood so I went with wood burning.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good choice on the pellet stove, in my broken hand opinion...
Aside from 8 years in the service, I've cut, burned up a couple of saws, hours on end with wood, miles driven back an forth chasing wood, stacked, stung by bee's, chased spiders, wore out too many vacuums to count cleaning carpet and got to the point of having to duct tape my hand to the splitting maul after 30+ years of using a wood stove as sole heat source.
After buying the pellet stove 4 years ago, I haven't missed any of the above, and still able to burn with no smoke out of the stack. Have two gen sets, so no worries on loosing power.
Last year almost two tons burned over entire season, an we keep it fairly warm in the house for the lazy hound dogs, so less than a $100 a month (Oct to April)
Yep, love my pellet stove and will never go back.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FullCaliber wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:
Sorry I missed that part. It a bad choice on the pellet stove.

The only downside I could find for the pellet stove is reliance on electricity to run it... but there are several easy ways around that. Car battery and an inverter, generator, etc. Did you have a bad experience with pellets?

I really need to proof read. I meant to say not a bad choice. I do have a pellet stove that was in a rental that has a bad control board. They are 400 bucks. So it sits. Know anybody that needs one? I love burning wood, but with a new baby I just don't have the time.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to have a Biz Stove (zero clearance wood insert) but after 20 years of splitting, stacking and hauling wood I got tired of the work and mess. In 2007 I bought a Quadrafire Santa Fe insert and now instead of burning 4-5 cords of wood I burn less than 2 tons of pellets. It cost me $400 a year to heat my house and pellets are so much easier. Great choice of pellet stoves!
Now all you need is a generator to power the stove when the power goes out...
I did that and went even further by hard wiring it (separate fuse box that hooks into the regular box) and I have satellite TV. The generator keeps my food cold, hot water hot, lights on and I get to watch TV!!!
For a few hundred you can get a wireless thermostat so your stove acts like a furnace - worth every cent!
We even have a stove Tech on Waguns who works for Fireside in Kent... He's taught me more about my stove than I learned maintaining it for 10 years. I'll have to ask him if I can release his handle....
Smart choice, you wont regret it
PS - use quality pellets!!!! I use Bear Mountain that go on sale from Coastal every year in May and again in late June or early July.

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:48 pm

I'm pretty sure I made the right choice... now I'm just stuck waiting for it to get here! :popcorn:

I have a ton of Goldenfire pellets coming along with the stove. They were "free" with the purchase so they will get a good testing this winter. The more I continue to read and talk to people about pellet stoves the happier I am with my choice. I'll update the post with a picture and general review in a month or so for those who care.
A generator is on my soon-to-buy list. My house came wired for one so now I just need to make a choice on one of those...

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy or build a pellet making machine.

Make friends with a couple cabinet shops. Sawmills. Whatever.

Or just collect used coffee grounds from a couple dozen starbucks.

Make your own pellets.

Free heat. No chainsaw or splitting maul needed.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2