Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:27 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 What is going on with my Puppy? Any vets on the board? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PTmorgan wrote:

Second thought: When he is sitting still, he is weaving - ataxic. That's more of a central nervous system thing. Watch your puppy's eyes. See if his eyes are twitching to the side, if he is making steady eye contact, turning his head side to side smoothly. Does he get more weaving when he turns his head?

That's the kicker... I was able to get him into the vet and be seen while he was having an Episode and during these he makes full eye contact and there is no twitch. The first vet I went to said he was having every symptom of having a toxin in his bloodstream, although nothing showed up.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
I know there is a reluctance to dispense antibiotics if they can't identify the issue, but have they put him on any powerful anti biotics. Perhaps he has some infection that they can't figure out but needs to be dealt with?

Perhaps get him tested for any allergies?

Look for any other environmental issues that could cause this. You already addressed plants, but is he getting into anything indoors or outside? In the garage? Pesticides, grass fertilizer, car coolant, etc.

Is a neighbor poisoning him slowly?

Eating lead paint chips off an old structure? Drinking bad water? Maybe his plastic food bowls are leaching toxins?

Watch him constantly and see that he doesn't get into anything.

Yep, forgot to add this...
We used to use carpet powder on our floors, vet told us to stop immediately, for obvious reasons....
Crap I felt stupid not thinking a dog sniffs, licks and plays on the carpet that is poisoned with smell good carpet powder....
Also zinc. My oldest got sick about 10 years ago. Lethargic an puking. Just on a whim the vet did an x-ray.
She had a button battery in her intestine. While it passed after a couple of days, it's highly toxic to dogs and we just had to wait it out using some nausea meds and iv fluid.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
I know there is a reluctance to dispense antibiotics if they can't identify the issue, but have they put him on any powerful anti biotics. Perhaps he has some infection that they can't figure out but needs to be dealt with?

Perhaps get him tested for any allergies? Not yet

Look for any other environmental issues that could cause this. You already addressed plants, but is he getting into anything indoors or outside? In the garage? Pesticides, grass fertilizer, car coolant, etc. Cars are parked in the garage which is unattached from my house on the back of my property and he has no access to it.

Is a neighbor poisoning him slowly? No, I have two neighbors that border my yard and Im good friends with them, and both have dogs.

Eating lead paint chips off an old structure? Drinking bad water? Maybe his plastic food bowls are leaching toxins? Shares metal bowls for food and water with my other dogs, and she has no issues. I just had new siding put on my house which has not been chewed on, and my garage is metal.

Watch him constantly and see that he doesn't get into anything.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:45 am

Any access to chocolate?

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lefty wrote:
Any access to chocolate?

Nope

Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:51 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Poor little Pooper.....

Hate to see them suffer like that.

Weird ,,,, he looks like my Mom did. She had Parkinsons.

I thought of Something not so serious.....but has anyone checked his ears?

When I blew out an eardrum I felt like he looks.

Infection in the inner ear?

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They checked his ears on all 3 visits and everything looked clear.

I have a call into a different vet and I'm going to opt for a complete set of blood work to be taken. Fuck my old vet, those fucks still haven't returned my call from this morning.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:18 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

L_O_G wrote:
They checked his ears on all 3 visits and everything looked clear.

I have a call into a different vet and I'm going to opt for a complete set of blood work to be taken. Fuck my old vet, those fucks still haven't returned my call from this morning.

I'm thinking more an inner ear infection..the other side of the drum...that what would give him the imbalance issue. Is he puking?

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No puking, no diarrhea, no lack of appetite, drinks water and all his shits are normal.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hardwood or tile floor cleaners like Swiffer and others can be toxic to animals. Known to cause all sorts of problems esp when dogs lick the floors or eat off the floors.

Maybe recalled dog food? Check all your foods to ensure not recalled.

Also, be aware of human foods poisonous to dogs.

Onions, garlic, avocados, chocolate, grapes and more. So if he gets human food scraps that have these items, it can create problems. So pizza leftovers, pasta, mexican food, etc. may have many ingredients that are toxic to dogs.

Last edited by leadcounsel on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want a great Vet recommendation it may be a bit of a drive - but I have two.

Summit 24 hour vet is good to have available. Excellent care. In Tacoma off I5 around exit 30.
http://www.summitvets.com/

And my local vet is fantastic. Tahoma Vet off 224th in Spanaway/Bethel station area.
http://www.tahomavet.com/

I know vet bills are mounting but this could be life threatening if you don't figure it out.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Food isn't recalled and we don't use any type of chemicals, soaps or detergents on the floors. The wife uses a Steam Shark on the hard floors and normal Dyson on carpet, no powders, air fresheners or cleaners.

I have circled over my house, yard and surrounding areas for the past few weeks trying to figure out what the hell he could be getting into. It could be something simple that he is allergic to, so it looks like allergy tests will need to be done as well

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:08 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

My kids dog got into mushrooms in the grass quite a few years ago...to young and too much of a dingdong to know better.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any tick bites on him?

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/inf ... _paralysis

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:

Havent checked to be honest. I will be though.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next