Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Tell me what I can look forward to-------- 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Need some advice from those who've "been there".

Was sitting in my family room watching my TV and reading some e-mail. Next thing I knew it felt like someone was pushing on the center of my chest with all their weight on the end of a baseball bat. Hurt like hell.

Knew it wasn't heartburn so I called 911. Ended up in the ER and it was confirmed I was having a heart attack. Two days so far in the hospital and I'm supposed to be scheduled for some bypass surgery on Monday.

Anyone else here a member of the "Zipper Scar" Club? If so, tell me what I have to look forward to as far as recovery and resuming old activities. My Surgeon says "NO SHOOTING" for 12 weeks. Bummer..

What other tips to ease recovery?

Right now I feel good. Blood thinners going in and pain gone but tests have shown I can't escape surgery.

Just curious so if anyone's been through this share either here or in PM's.

Thanks

Mike

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

not in that club (so far), good luck.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Sorry to hear that, thoughts and prayers for you.
Nothing like that has personally happened to me, knock on wood.
Have had some friends die from heart problems........
The newer laparoscopic procedures that don't involve cutting the sternum down the middle are supposed to have a much faster recovery time.

Wish you all the best.

P.S. Bacon and cigarettes are permanently off the list, from what everyone tells me after bypass surgery.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow...you take it easy and listen to the Docs Deadshot.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are going to have the new technique which doesn't involve going straight in through the sternum, then the recovery will be much faster.

I'm familiar with treating people who have had the standard approach where the surgeon goes in through the sternum. Here is an overview of this approach:

The morning after the surgery you will get up and out of bed. There will be a lot of medical lines - chest tube, IVs, etc and it can be intimidating. Don't worry - the nurses & therapists will handle all the lines. In the afternoon, you will go for your first walk in the hallways. It is amazing how well people do with this walk! The pain is there, but generally it is much less than other surgeries such as joint replacements.

You will be walking more and more - several times/day. I send my patients home on a walking program. They will walk four times/daily with increasing time. Just stop when you get tired.

I find that many people are worried about climbing the flight of stairs if they have their bed/bath up on the second floor. Generally, stairs are not a problem. If you are walking a loop around the hallways at the hospital, you should be fine.

If you have the standard approach, that means that you will have a fractured sternum (breastbone). It will be wired tightly shut. However, the bones do need to knit back together. Every time you push/pull with your arms, pressure will travel up your arm, across your clavicle, and into the sternum. This pressure into the sternum is not a good thing - it makes the broken bone wiggle and delays healing. You will hear about Sternal Precautions. This means no pushing/pulling/lifting with arms for about 6 weeks. I find that people are surprised by this, and sometimes aren't told until after the surgery. This is the biggest impediment to being active and mobile. You can't use your arms/elbows to get out of bed, up off toilets, (shoot a gun!), carry heavy things, twist to put on winter coat, etc.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:15 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Holy crap, Mike! I'm glad to hear that you're okay, man. You're in good shape, I'm sure that you'll breeze through surgery like a champ.

I guess this is a good reminder that, especially if you're home alone, you should keep your cell phone handy!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll be best friends to a thick pillow afterwards.

Nice fast speedy surgery and recovery, man.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup, been there done that. Had my Aorta replaced.

1. When they offer the spinal take it. The last thing I remember I was walking through the surgery intake doors.
2. Keep the pain meds to a minimum while you are in recovery and the following day or two. They blasted me so bad that I was seeing bugs coming out the vents in the room. Not most bueno.
3. If you have someone to help you out for first couple days that is good. You will have your moments.
4. Walk. I used the malls for walking. It was not monsooning on me (December), and I saw all the stuff I would never want to buy. :bigsmile: It is also flat so you have a consistent cardio rate vs something with hills. IMHO

Overall, just take it easy, and yes, you will have to park the 50 BMG for a few months. If you take it pretty easy you will be up to full strength pretty quickly. Let the pain be your guide. You will have a little crunchy feeling in your chest for awhile, but it will go away. Remember, they just knitted your sternum back together.

Keep your spirits up, and treat it like just another day of life. Relax.

You will be fine brother, the capabilities are amazing these days. Had mine done 7 years ago.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hang in there, Mike!

Praying for a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery :thumbsup2:

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hang tough man! All I know is that friends I know who had a heart attack, got pretty darn healthy afterward. Eat well, no smoking, exercise every day. So look forward to how well you will feel!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish you a speedy recovery.

With all my friends having heart attacks and getting diabetes lately, Im getting kinda paranoid.

I get plenty of exercise, but need to eat better/less. I have cut out all the garbage/soda/most sugar, but still need to do better.

I hear your concerns from many folks to often and it scares me.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All the best Mike. I am sure you will pull through. We need all the Pro 2nd Amendment people out there as we can muster, cannot afford to lose anyone. :cheers2:

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Prayers out to you brother! Speedy recovery!

Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear Mike. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. Will keep my fingers crossed that you'll be a candidate for the least invasive surgical technique that others have mentioned.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

damn, glad you caught it in time. Good luck and speedy recovery

Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next