Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:48 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Philosopher Backs Trump’s Transgender Ban in Military 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was trying to read the thread about this the other day and I think it got deleted. Can we try again? Everybody please remain civil.

I found an interesting article on a website some of you might despise that I thought brought up some good points.
Philosopher Backs Trump’s Transgender Ban in Military: ‘Biology Is Not Bigotry’

The Philosopher appears to address the topic from a physical & mental health perspective:

Quote:
The U.S. military is extremely strict in its requirements for the physical and mental health of enlisting soldiers, and disqualifies individuals for a host of reasons, including ulcers, chronic conjunctivitis, genital herpes, heart arrhythmia, anosmia, Tourett’s, dyslexia, anorexia, agoraphobia, hypochondria, self-mutilation and suicidal behavior.

Regarding that final point, Anderson points out that “41 percent of people who identify as transgender will attempt suicide at some point in their lives, compared to 4.6 percent of the general population. And people who have had transition surgery are 19 times more likely than average to die by suicide.”

Obama’s policy change, he said, “ignored the reality that placing individuals who might be at increased risk for suicide or other psychological injury in the most stressful situation imaginable—the battlefield—is reckless.”

Can we talk about this, leaving out the topic of Transgenderism? What if there was another group where 41% of them attempted suicide and were 19 times more likely to die by suicide? Would you want them in the Military?

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:12 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

"There will be no modifications to the current policy until the President's direction has been received by the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary has issued implementation guidelines."Gen Joseph Dunford, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking at this in a broader context, and not even considering the topic of gender, aren't veterans already committing suicide at a rate higher than the non-vet population? Perhaps it would be good to examine military service itself more closely to discover why that's happening before we try to focus in on specific demographics within the ranks. Is there a veteran out there who does NOT think suicide among vets is already an issue?

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:40 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

snozzberries wrote:
I found an interesting article on a website some of you might despise that I thought brought up some good points.
Philosopher Backs Trump’s Transgender Ban in Military: ‘Biology Is Not Bigotry’
Quote:
The U.S. military is extremely strict in its requirements for the physical and mental health of enlisting soldiers, and disqualifies individuals for a host of reasons, including ulcers, chronic conjunctivitis, genital herpes, heart arrhythmia, anosmia, Tourett’s, dyslexia, anorexia, agoraphobia, hypochondria, self-mutilation and suicidal behavior.<snip>

Uh, No.

PMB's rule of thumb regarding aberrant behavior: There are whack jobs in every grouping of 2 or more people.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help me understand, since when is a tweet from the CIC a lawful *order*? Does no one in the govt or DOD understand how cyber-vulnerable this service is?
If the Trump account tweets "go jump off a cliff" are you really expecting anyone to do so?

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
"There will be no modifications to the current policy until the President's direction has been received by the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary has issued implementation guidelines."Gen Joseph Dunford, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

This.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]