Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:31 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 New Distracted Driving Law 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wetpaperbag wrote:
http://www.king5.com/news/what-the-new-distracted-driving-law-actually-enforces/458096803

I get the idea behind the law, and I've seen a load of people who do all kinds of things while driving. Too many folks try and text or check social media status, or surf the web while driving. However, this is going to be a tough thing to be proving, and I kinda feel this is going to be a money grab from the state.

Personally I don't text and drive, but I have no problem talking on the phone while driving and equate it to talking to someone in the car. Although when someone is in the car I feel more people turn to look at the person talking. Which takes your eyes off the road more so than talking on a phone. So what's next, no talking while driving too?

This is not the way it works out though. While you may occasionally turn and look, in practice, this isn't how it usually is. Also, the second person in the car is eyes on the road as well. two people talking in the car is much safer for these reasons.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
So Uber drivers will have to develop psychic powers to get riders to their destination

This is a good point. I predict highly selective enforcement

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I eat behind the wheel way more than I mess with my phone :facepalm2: :popcorn: :crybaby: :frust:

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Paper maps can't possibly be less distracting than a GPS. Are they going to ban those, too?

I appreciate and support the underlying spirit of the new law, but its implementation is a joke. No one did a thing when texting was illegal, why will one more law make the difference?

Rhetorical question. Carry on.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:27 am

You better make sure your car is in first when stopped at a light and a cop is behind you. Mess up and try to start in 3rd and boom "well yoiu didn't take off when the light turned green....you were distracted"

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
You better make sure your car is in first when stopped at a light and a cop is behind you. Mess up and try to start in 3rd and boom "well yoiu didn't take off when the light turned green....you were distracted"

Always use the scene right out of Tommy Boy:

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:24 pm

When is it time to talk about the 15" Dell permanently parked at the 2 o'clock position in every patrol vehicle? How is that not a distraction while us plebes can't sip a cup of Joe?

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:38 pm

the925life wrote:
When is it time to talk about the 15" Dell permanently parked at the 2 o'clock position in every patrol vehicle? How is that not a distraction while us plebes can't sip a cup of Joe?

Or the radar, siren/lights, cellphone, radio, the lights blocking their view...

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just glad I'm exempt from virtually all of it...

Funny thing is, I wasn't from the last go around, but modification of the exemptions to the law give me an easy out...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
the925life wrote:

Or the radar, siren/lights, cellphone, radio, the lights blocking their view...

Radar is low enough to not block the view. Radio is in console or HHC and left on a channel and rarely changed unless changing areas or involved in an incident, lights don't block view when installed properly..

and... MDCs? It's not like cops are running over people, because they're sending emails...... Well...uhhh... oops?

TPD doubled down and instead of saying the officer should have his eyes on the road, said 'doesn't matter, we're exempt from distracted driving laws'.... Stay classy, Tacoma...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:08 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Bluetooth headsets are not a new invention, nor are they any more expensive than all the other "necessities" some people think they need.

Don't text while driving, get a headset, leave your phone on the center console/ seat, and DRIVE. Last time I used Google Maps, it had a voice.

It should not require a law to get folks to do so, but then again, common sense isn't so common.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jonathan Brown wrote:
Law enforcement is exempt from the law.

That's bullshit.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
Jonathan Brown wrote:
Law enforcement is exempt from the law.

That's bullshit.

Maybe so but it's been that way ever since "technology" started showing up in cars and people started focusing more on it than on driving.

There IS a difference, whether or not people like it, between people who just diddle with their phones while driving and people who are trained to multi-task while driving.

Should officers be using their cell phones while driving? Probably not. Fact remains that many departments don't have enough officers on the road to allow for them to park and take care of phone calls. They have to "multi-task" and handle phone calls while driving to their next complaint.

I can't recall ever seeing a police officer talking on his phone while responding to an emergency but talking on the radio is pretty much expected. Anyway, it really doesn't matter if we think it's bullshit, that's the way it is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can I still diddle myself while driving?

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:

Maybe so but it's been that way ever since "technology" started showing up in cars and people started focusing more on it than on driving.

There IS a difference, whether or not people like it, between people who just diddle with their phones while driving and people who are trained to multi-task while driving.

Should officers be using their cell phones while driving? Probably not. Fact remains that many departments don't have enough officers on the road to allow for them to park and take care of phone calls. They have to "multi-task" and handle phone calls while driving to their next complaint.

I can't recall ever seeing a police officer talking on his phone while responding to an emergency but talking on the radio is pretty much expected. Anyway, it really doesn't matter if we think it's bullshit, that's the way it is.

It might not be possible to train someone to multi-task and people who think they're good multi-taskers might be fooling themselves. They may become more proficient at switching from one task to another through practice, but humans aren't very good at doing multiple things at once. At least that's what some brain researchers said in this NPR story -- http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95256794 It's several years old but I doubt our brains have changed much in the interim.

If anything, shouldn't LEOs have less need to multi-task while driving, not more? After all, they have a radio with dispatchers directing them and feeding them information. That can be accomplished just by keying the mic.

zombie66 wrote:
Can I still diddle myself while driving?

We haven't even established that someone else can diddle you while you're driving.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next