Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 New Distracted Driving Law 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:

Maybe so but it's been that way ever since "technology" started showing up in cars and people started focusing more on it than on driving.

There IS a difference, whether or not people like it, between people who just diddle with their phones while driving and people who are trained to multi-task while driving.

Should officers be using their cell phones while driving? Probably not. Fact remains that many departments don't have enough officers on the road to allow for them to park and take care of phone calls. They have to "multi-task" and handle phone calls while driving to their next complaint.

I can't recall ever seeing a police officer talking on his phone while responding to an emergency but talking on the radio is pretty much expected. Anyway, it really doesn't matter if we think it's bullshit, that's the way it is.

It might not be possible to train someone to multi-task and people who think they're good multi-taskers might be fooling themselves. They may become more proficient at switching from one task to another through practice, but humans aren't very good at doing multiple things at once. At least that's what some brain researchers said in this NPR story -- http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95256794 It's several years old but I doubt our brains have changed much in the interim.

If anything, shouldn't LEOs have less need to multi-task while driving, not more? After all, they have a radio with dispatchers directing them and feeding them information. That can be accomplished just by keying the mic.

zombie66 wrote:
Can I still diddle myself while driving?

We haven't even established that someone else can diddle you while you're driving.

Ok, I guess Ill hold off for now.......

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zombie66 wrote:

Josh said he'd do it for you.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:51 pm

I am just in hick town Yakima but I get stuck behind idiots that can barely chew gum and walk let alone talk on their cell phones and drive an automatic. Every damned light they slow traffic down. The law is not stringent enough. Yes i have a cell phone but I pull off the road to make a call and the rest of the time my phone is off.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
zombie66 wrote:

Josh said he'd do it for you.

I know the equipment, and me so horney.

Divided we fall.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also heard a rumor that you would do "anything" for a bag of dried Kale Chips.....

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hartcreek wrote:
I am just in hick town Yakima but I get stuck behind idiots that can barely chew gum and walk let alone talk on their cell phones and drive an automatic. Every damned light they slow traffic down. The law is not stringent enough. Yes i have a cell phone but I pull off the road to make a call and the rest of the time my phone is off.

The one that bugs me the most is the driver (for some reason always a middle aged woman) who drives down the middle lane on a 3 lane freeway at 35-40 mph. I can honk the shit out of my horn for the butt-wipe at the intersection but for the slowpoke texter on the freeway, I have to focus on changing lanes around her.

Sooner or later someone will just run over her but I'd rather it be some Canadian Truck Driver that doesn't give a shit about our traffic laws than me. Harsh but two hazards will be removed. The flattened texter obviously and the trucker who will probably be barred entry from Canada (only to be replaced by an equally irresponsible Canadian truck driver. You have to live North of Seattle to appreciate the hazard the Canadian truckers pose on our freeways.

BTW, did I miss the official declaration that made today "Drive line an Asshole day"? I left my house this morning to run some errands. From the first street I came to all the way to the end of my "run", no less than a half dozen drivers either didn't stop when entering the main street from side streets or ran lights that had been red for at least several seconds BEFORE they entered the intersection. Weird!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zombie66 wrote:
I also heard a rumor that you would do "anything" for a bag of dried Kale Chips.....

Just the tip for a kale chip.

Divided we fall.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zombie66 wrote:

I don't think you're big enough to be considered 'hand held'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
zombie66 wrote:

I don't think you're big enough to be considered 'hand held'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little feet...little...

...is what I've heard.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They say you cannot hold your phone, at all, in the car. Not even at the stop light.
Soooo... can the wife hold it up to your ear for you?
Can I hold a toy cell and pretend to be talking on it?

Distracted driving? What if I look at my gas gauge or speedometer?

I eagerly await the first lawsuit. :bigsmile:

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
How are going to respond when the LEO asks for your phone password to "gather evidence," such as your activity log?

No problem officer but I would like to see your warrant first, you know that pesky 4th amendment thingy

Also no smoking or coffee.....Who the hell is goin to post my bail for road rage now?

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this is just a way for police to racially profile. its Washingtons version of #stopandfrisk.

it should never be a primary offense. it should only be enforced if you cant drive like a normal person.

harassment plain and simple. while the NAACP just puts the strap-on on and rapes everyone not caring

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:27 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Why's everything gotta be about race?

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
Why's everything gotta be about race?

Because its an easy out.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do smart watches fit into this mix? You are holding it in a capacity? Or how about the fact that I can text from my car's in dash system? Too much he said he said.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next