Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 MPLS police in spotlight AGAIN after questionable shooting 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
Well, this incident tells me a lot of things.

* Liberals end game is to destroy and gut law enforcement as part of the overall destruction of the nation, and infiltration of all ranks.

* The anti-cop agenda has gained ground. The promoted violence against cops has got them on edge. The high quality candidates are no longer interested in applying and I'm guessing this officer was a poor candidate, as a result.

* Looks like this was an ND or AD, probably from a jumpy cop or a poorly trained one or a poor candidate for law enforcement.

* I'll withhold real criticisms until more information is released, but on the surface it looks like a very bad shooting. Has nothing to do with race. But shooting across your partner through a car door in a enclosed car is a poor decision and would only be done in an urgent - as in, I see a gun pointed at us - situation. Certainly seems not to be that way based on reporting.

I agree with your general assessment, but for different reasons.

I think people are being misled about the number of bad cops/bad incidents, to the effect that they feel that more are bad than good, when it's the opposite by a very high margin.

You need to find a middle ground .

Prosecuting cops to push the racial agenda ala freddy grey is swinging the pendulum way too far..but not prosecuting NDs, ADs, negligence, etc leads to the population not trusting LE because the pendulum is not swinging at all but held in place by authoritarianism. 'Oops, my bad!' should not be acceptable for anyone.

His lawyers statement of it 'being hard for cops today' leads me to believe he's Gonna try and play the 'I thought she had a weapon and I had a split second to react' card.. .. That shit gets old. We all have a split second to react, but it seems that some animals are more equal than others when it comes to judging those reactions, or at least the consequences, rather the lack thereof, of those actions.

Community policing, removal of qualified immunity, is what's needed.. Oh... And Robocop.. Because.. Fuck yeah.. It's Robocop..

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
However, you jump to conclusions that are not supported - like the allegation of a coverup with the cameras. As I understand it, they were in their patrol vehicle and it wouldn't be policy for them to be running at that point. I've read that they are activated when the officer exits the vehicle, or the overhead lights are engaged, or similar. You automatically jump to "cover up" whereas a reasonable interpretation is that they just weren't activated.

I'll agree that's a jump, it's more likely they just weren't turned on. Still a violation of policy and very suspect, IMO.

Understand that life experiences change perspectives and perception. Perception is reality. PG county harassed a well known reporter, messed up her shoulder and wrist, pulled cameraman out of the car at gunpoint, etc, over a dozen vehicles... Illegally stopped, detained them, and when a FOIA (state equivalent) request was submitted, it was reported that all dozen plus cameras were either 'not on or malfunctioned'... How convenient.. Why were they pulled out of their car? They were doing a story on corruption of county officials, including police.. Luckily the news crew camera caught everything.. But guess what happened to those officers and that agency? Nothing. Not even a reprimand. IA said all officers acted appropriately. Kinda hard to prove that something exists when the person controlling it says it doesn't.... Which is why I think it suspect that 0 of 3 cameras were running...

Yeah, odds are they were only violating policy by not having them on, but I think we need to have a firm expectation. We have the technology to record 8 hours plus, looping and overwriting if nothing happens.. No reason why they can't be run all the time. If the cam goes off and a complaint is filed, terminate for violation of policy.

This guy already had 3 complaints in 2 years ,but that's another issue altogether ...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Read yesterday that a "loud sound" startled the officers as the woman approached the vehicle. Seems like the narrative is leaning towards a ND:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/18/officials-australian-woman-shot-after-cops-heard-loud-sound.html

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This story refines the account and time-line of the "loud noise" and subsequent shooting.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/07/18/Investigators-Cop-who-shot-unarmed-woman-refuses-to-be-interviewed/7271500428741/?utm_source=sec&utm_campaign=sl&utm_medium=19

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this was a white cop and a black victim, that city would be burning

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
If this was a white cop and a black victim, that city would be burning

Do you have a point?

:bigsmile:

(of course you are spot on, plus if that woman was black........well you know, press and all)

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
“Officer Noor has declined to be interviewed by BCA agents at this time. Officer Noor’s attorney did not provide clarification on when, if ever, an interview would be possible,’ the BCA wrote in a press release Tuesday.

Telling.

Great, so let's add 'someone was shooting fireworks a couple blocks away' as justification for murder. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out..

I have a feeling Noor will resign and no charges will be filed.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yawn

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
L_O_G wrote:
For every one of these incidents there are 1000's of good deeds done by PD's all over the Nation that happen with zero news coverage. This is sad and extremely tragic no doubt. But when all we hear is how bad the police are on a daily basis, it paints an unfair picture of those who are doing fantastic jobs on the daily.

That's the kind of attitude that will prevent you from ever working for CNN or ABC/CBS/NBC. :cussing:

Assuming he would ever want to work for those news agencies.

I see this unfortunate death as part of a much larger problem. Police are now hitting the streets and seeing EVERY person as a possible threat regardless of the situation. People who have demonstrated no threatening attitudes, moves, or even appearance are now handcuffed for "officer safety". The attitude of police officers toward the general public is atrocious with many referring to anyone not "on the job" as just another asshole I they have to babysit.

Yes, officers have met untimely ends when suddenly attacked but how many times has that been a distraught woman in a bathrobe who just reported a crime?

One of the underlying factors is the fact that police departments are almost all short of personnel. Recruiting efforts are failing to bring in the best possible candidates so many departments are settling for marginally qualified applicants to fill their ranks. They are then inadequately trained in how to "read" the people they interact with and when the situation escalates they go for the gun.

Maybe it's time to bring in some instructors from the London Police and teach officers how to police with their minds and basic police weapons like baton, pepper spray, taser, etc. When necessary armed officers respond but only those trained in the proper use of firearms carry them. To make this work it would then require the Courts to levy penalties for assaulting a Police Officer so severe "perps" would rather go home and beat their wives than refuse a police officers orders. The penalty for beating the wife would be less.

The current model where every patrol officer is issued a pistol isn't working, especially when they haven't been properly vetted in the training/probation process. When laws change to make police officers just as accountable for killing someone as for ordinary citizens, maybe we'll see a change.

Lastly, go into any police department today and ask every officer if they know of a fellow officer they don't believe should be allowed to carry a firearm, much less be an officer, and the answers would be shocking. Every department has at least one and in larger departments the number could be staggering.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Instead of limiting the tools available to officers, which is a ridiculous approach that will only further degrade the quality of the relationship between police and the communities they serve, how about agencies make themselves a more attractive employer so they can hire the best candidates? How about mayors and city councils stop throwing their LEOs under the bus at the first sign of a political hot potato or a waning budget? How about lazy people stop expecting cops to be protectors, shrinks, and mothers, all rolled into one low-bid package? How about we give officers the support they need to find and arrest criminals -- and then (gasp) actually prosecute those motherfuckers -- instead of writing new laws that do nothing but create new criminals? And how about we make it clear to everyone involved in the hiring and training process that an unfit candidate should be shown the door, even if that means a city doesn't have equal splits across gender lines or ethnicity groups or whatever other completely irrelevant criteria some disconnected douche has put in place?

Be a better employer. Find better cops. Stop expecting them to be superhuman. Hold their feet to the fire when they don't uphold their end of the bargain.

This is really not that tough but someone's sure to get sand in their vag over it, since expectations will need to change on both ends of the spectrum.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
Instead of limiting the tools available to officers, which is a ridiculous approach that will only further degrade the quality of the relationship between police and the communities they serve, how about agencies make themselves a more attractive employer so they can hire the best candidates? How about mayors and city councils stop throwing their LEOs under the bus at the first sign of a political hot potato or a waning budget? How about lazy people stop expecting cops to be protectors, shrinks, and mothers, all rolled into one low-bid package? How about we give officers the support they need to find and arrest criminals -- and then (gasp) actually prosecute those motherfuckers -- instead of writing new laws that do nothing but create new criminals? And how about we make it clear to everyone involved in the hiring and training process that an unfit candidate should be shown the door, even if that means a city doesn't have equal splits across gender lines or ethnicity groups or whatever other completely irrelevant criteria some disconnected douche has put in place?

Be a better employer. Find better cops. Stop expecting them to be superhuman. Hold their feet to the fire when they don't uphold their end of the bargain.

This is really not that tough but someone's sure to get sand in their vag over it, since expectations will need to change on both ends of the spectrum.

:plusone:
mislabeled for mayor governor president! :thumbsup2:

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
glockgirl wrote:
It's an understatement to say that this was an unfortunate incident. For those who are making insinuating comments based on the officer's name and country of birth, please explain to me how the other officer ALSO failed to turn on his body cam. If this officer's name was Jim McWhiteypants, I doubt that his name would be mentioned in this thread at all.

As to media coverage of events like these, I'm all for transparency, but honestly, TW, it's about time to step away from your keyboard and look at LEOs in a different light. Where were the cameras when the BPD detective arrived on my doorstep the day after Roald was struck by a car, just to hand me the investigative report and to give Roald a hug? The detective well knew that the report could've been mailed, but he took time out of his day to check on Roald and make sure that I was okay, too.

That is the kind of little gestures that don't get coverage, and so if your worldview is based entirely on media coverage of purely negative incidents, you're going end up with a negative view of all LEO's.

Lots of openings for the August (I think) WSP cadet class, TW. Just saying.

That's it!

I'm changing my name to McWhiteypants!!!

Not to be confused with Boaty McBoatface.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/web/boaty-mcboatface/

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:49 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

or

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and speaking of body-cams:

http://www.dailywire.com/news/18752/baltimore-cop-apparently-planted-drugs-his-own-hank-berrien?utm_source=dwemail&utm_medium=email&utm_content=071917-news&utm_campaign=position5

FJB

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LC alluded to a key issue not discussed yet.

Without commenting on this specific incident, I believe it fits perfectly into this point.

We talk often about police bad shootings. Not just people, but dogs as well.

Frankly, I believe that over and over again, those that do the shooting have few or weak skill of awareness.

Look at the cop last week that jumped the fence and shot 2 friendly dogs. It seems to happen all the time.

The hiring process of cops has to include proof the potential cop must have better awareness skills and prove them.

If you can't handle a dog coming up to you with a wagging tail, and shoot it, you have proved you have no right to be a cop and carry a gun. Because you can't even read a dog's intentions. And if you can't read a dog's intentions, you certainly cannot read a human being's intentions. Reading a human being is possibly the most important skill for a cop, IMO.

I don't know enough yet about this shooting to comment, I do try to envision what circumstances would cause a cop with 2 years experience to be so wreckless about discharging his gun in his squadcar. I cannot come up with a single example.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next