Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:51 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Photobucket 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been trying to download ANY album to my computer for the last twenty minutes and it almost works but no happy ending. :frust:

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have just over 500 pictures on Photobucket, but I think that every one is also stored on my computer, somewhere. I also have a Flickr account. Looks like I'm going to have to do some work and make sure that the Photobucket pics that I have posted here are also on Flickr and change the Photobucket links to Flickr links.
Then, delete all my pics on Photobucket and send them a little love note, if that's possible.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Yondering wrote:
quantsuff wrote:
Let this be a lesson to all, there is no such thing as a free internet service. If you cannot figure out what they are selling, they are selling *you.*

I don't think that was ever a question, nor is it what anyone is complaining about. Wrong lesson to learn from this IMO.

Agreed. It's always been clear to me what Photobucket was selling: Advertising. Lots of it. Lots of really irritating flashing banner ads and pop-up videos.

Yes, but now they have gone "ransomware" is the lesson. Exoect others to do the same before they go under.
"That's some real nice content you got there, be shame if somethin was to happen to it..."

Exactly why I have never stored any content on anything that seems like "the cloud", to me.

That, and the fact that on the cloud, it is out of your hands, and in the hands of people who keep proving they have no clue about security of YOUR content.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do have a few pics on PB, but have not used it for years. All of my current photos are on an external hard drive. No worries, just e mail or copy what I want.

I Believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies."
William Tyler Page 1917

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:41 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Selador wrote:
That, and the fact that on the cloud, it is out of your hands, and in the hands of people who keep proving they have no clue concern about security of YOUR content.

I think they know the hows and whys, they just don't care.

We're putting up pics of things that are common place- important to us perhaps, but hardly anyone else. I have never placed photos online without having a backup. To the contrary. I may share a photo online but I have it on my computer and a portable hdd as a matter of habit. That is one of the reasons that I don't bother to reply to all the "buy a backup hdd" comments... :facepalm2: That was never the point, not for anyone who I know.

Online photo hosting was never used as storage by my family... Just for 3rd party linking. There is some benefit of finding a photo when away from home- I used that option at SHOT Show in January. I could have just as easily called or texted my wife to MMS it to me... I did that for a photo of an induction heater later in the show.

So to me this is about our ability to have a hotlinked photo without having to pay big $. For WaGuns to have our own photo hosting the income would have to go up quite a bit, as I understand it. Any of the 3rd party photo hosting sites that allow hotlinking have the same POSSIBLE vulnerabilities that were exposed by the dirty trick that Photobucket pulled.
Sure, Photobucket is operating as a business, and they made a business decision. Unfortunately, there are bunches and bunches of articles, measurements, information that are gone forever. Articles that relied on hotlinked photos that contained measurements and layouts etc. Most people won't go back and re-do everything.
It was a dirty trick. I am not talking about cute cat photos.

I LOL at the people who think this is about the difficulty of using Imgur or Flickr. Really? Ops' smug post in the "What has made your day" thread is typical of that silliness.

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:00 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

My library is gone today...............

#fukfotobuket

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:25 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Imgur works, but I still don't like the feeling that articles or stories get gutted at the whim of a 3rd party.
For some reason I posted the pics of that young buck stealing my Ford tractor from Imgur last year.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: South Puget Sound (sounds more hoity toity than Puyallup)
Checking to see if posting a link from PB works...

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
We're putting up pics of things that are common place- important to us perhaps, but hardly anyone else. I have never placed photos online without having a backup. To the contrary. I may share a photo online but I have it on my computer and a portable hdd as a matter of habit. That is one of the reasons that I don't bother to reply to all the "buy a backup hdd" comments... :facepalm2: That was never the point, not for anyone who I know.

Online photo hosting was never used as storage by my family... Just for 3rd party linking.

Yes exactly. It was never about storing pictures, and photo storage is not why Photobucket ruined the internet. It is annoying when sanctimonious people (i.e. Prius drivers :wink05: ) here and on other forums start telling everyone how they should have stored pictures elsewhere.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This has got to be one of the most hilarious threads I have seen on here. Image

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:diggin: just trying out the photo hosting stuff.
.https://www.flickr.com/gp/157241476@N05/2ZjF86
ImageIMG_2061 by A D, on Flickr

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
I never saw/had a need for such sites. Doesn't your ISP have free web hosting? Even if they charge, it can't be that much. All over the web now is the photobroke-it carnage. This can't be good for them.

It's a little on the non-modern side, but using your personal web space works great. And your photos are your photos. I may quit my ISP, but I will have my photos.

http://pws.cablespeed.com/~pablomail//1911s.JPG

Just upload using FireFTP or maybe some webhosts have utilities now.......

Well now I'm kinda screwed. Wave says they don't do web hosting anymore. I mean I still have all my photos locally, and hey the still show up (see above). BUT I can't access anything! Uggg.....what the hell??

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:54 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

That’s some bullshit ... they shouldn’t just kill it without some warning. That would be a real Photobucket type of move. :angryfire:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
That’s some bullshit ... they shouldn’t just kill it without some warning. That would be a real Photobucket type of move. :angryfire:

On the horn with them now! The techs want to help but seem baffled. Like I am old school guy for using Firefox and using web hosting and FTP and oh my...

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5