Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Oregon ranchers fuming as "Rainbow Family" intent to set up 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.capitalpress.com/Oregon/2017 ... -in-oregon

Allowing thousands of make-shift campers on sensitive habitat doesn’t sit well with ranchers who must follow strict grazing rules.

The U.S. Forest Service acknowledged there isn’t much it can do about a “Rainbow Family” gathering expected to bring thousands of counter-culture types to the Malheur National Forest in Eastern Oregon over the next two weeks.

The organizers don’t have a permit, and the Forest Service’s response to that has angered area residents such as rancher Loren Stout, who lives near the gathering spot and has a federal grazing permit on land adjacent to it.

He said the Forest Service would punish ranchers if they ignored permit requirements and tapped a spring for drinking water like the Rainbow Family has done. Stout said it took him two years to get a National Environmental Policy Act permit to drill an exploratory mining hole.

“People are furious over this,” Stout said. “Not because it’s a friggin’ bunch of hippies, it’s the different standards.”

An estimated 500 to 700 people have already set up camp at Flagtail Meadow off of Forest Road 24, near the towns of Seneca and John Day. The 46th annual National Rainbow Gathering could draw 15,000 to 20,000 July 1-7,and is being held without a permit required of anyone else who would want to stage such an event on federal forest land.

Ryan Nehl, deputy Forest Service supervisor on the Malheur and the agency administrator for the event, planned to take a permit form to organizers at the gathering spot June 21.

“I don’t have a lot of faith they will sign it,” Nehl said. In that case, the Forest Service will impose an operational plan for the gathering to follow, and could take action if those conditions are violated.

But Nehl said the Forest Service will not attempt to stop the gathering.

“It’s a risk-based decision,” he said. “To try and kick them off the land would present a danger to employees and the public.”

The event is put on by the Rainbow Family of Living Light, a loosely-organized group that annually picks a spot for its gathering and invites like-minded people to attend for multiple days of music, camping, dancing and communal hanging out. The gatherings have been held since the 1970s.

On a Facebook page set up for this year’s event https://www.facebook.com/groups/246284825703234/, one person posted, “If we were in control we would all have free energy, everyone would be housed and fed and we’d be having song circles every day.”

“What is the pants policy at this event?” another poster asked. He was assured that nudity should be expected.

In other postings, people urged fellow “family” members not to upset locals by panhandling or “gas jugging,” meaning to beg for gasoline. Others caution against “spanging,” a slang reference to asking for spare change. A stabbing among Rainbow members during a meeting in the Umatilla National Forest earlier in June has area residents worried about what the larger gathering will bring.

A community meeting was scheduled June 23, in John Day to let residents ask questions of Forest Service and law enforcement personnel. The meeting is from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. in the Juniper Hall Conference Room of the Malheur National Forest Headquarters, 431 Patterson Bridge Road.

The Forest Service mobilized an incident command team that includes 30 agency law enforcement officers from around the country, and has marked areas such as creeks that campers should stay out of. Oregon State Police, BLM officers, Grant County sheriff’s deputies and John Day police are available to help the incident team, Nehl said.

Meanwhile, rancher Stout said the Forest Service is “trying to put grazers out of business” but lets the Rainbow bunch do what they want. He said the gathering spot is a major Native American archaeological site and the area has eight springs that could be damaged.

He said the “takeover of federal ground” is no different than the Bundy group’s occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge headquarters. “I hate to say that,” Stout said.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:07 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Probably leave behind 50 truckloads of garbage and human waste plus 2,000 drugged out panhandlers.

"The U.S. Forest Service said that as of Tuesday, it had made two arrests, and handed out 31 warnings and three violation notices."

VICE: The dark side of the Rainbow gathering.
"attracting a seedier crowd that uses all the anachronistic peace-loving as cover for drug abuse, theft, and violent crime."
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/gq8d ... -gathering

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:16 am

Napalm. Should work wonders.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:19 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

This movement lived in Olympia for 10 years. A guy names Gideon Isreal used his 42-Acre property, called Rainbow Valley, in the 90's for "Peace Gatherings", where little mini-woodstocks were held numerous times a year. Lots of drugs, lots of garbage, lots of issues. Private security was hired to patrol the events, but their main job was to make sure the cops stayed OUT.

Eventually TCSO seized the property because of narcotics and it was turned into a wetland.

Basically, it's a place where people want to go, get high as fuck, find their inner self and leave. Guaranteed the land will be trashed too.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:44 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reminds of the stories about the rural raves in England back in the day.

If the cops could stop it before it started, great. If it got going, they usually didn't have the means to stop it.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mobile safe injection site?

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what is the name of the stream they are getting their drinking water from? Just asking....not planning on taking a dump in it or anything....I wouldn't even consider such a thing....

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:27 am
Profile WWW

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
what is the name of the stream they are getting their drinking water from? Just asking....not planning on taking a dump in it or anything....I wouldn't even consider such a thing....

A few boxes of urinal pucks. Bleach it purifies water.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just another example how law abiding and hard working citizens, have a completely different set of standards and punishment of those that CAN skirt the law and get away with it.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:

You wouldn't be the only one shitting in the river unfortunately. Why do you think they smell the way they do? I think Southern Washington and Oregon have a pretty bad dirty hippy problem. Gives us upper class hippies a bad name.

Divided we fall.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
This movement lived in Olympia for 10 years. A guy names Gideon Isreal used his 42-Acre property, called Rainbow Valley, in the 90's for "Peace Gatherings", where little mini-woodstocks were held numerous times a year. Lots of drugs, lots of garbage, lots of issues. Private security was hired to patrol the events, but their main job was to make sure the cops stayed OUT.

Eventually TCSO seized the property because of narcotics and it was turned into a wetland.

Basically, it's a place where people want to go, get high as fuck, find their inner self and leave. Guaranteed the land will be trashed too.

I wonder if they're an offshoot of the Israels in Arlington -- Love and Honesty were the heads of that clan. Every year they held a "garlic festival" that was, by far, one of the most-attended events on the calendar. One year we didn't realize it was Garlic Festival weekend and got stuck in the traffic jam, which was definitely a surprise since we were on a rural two-lane road in the approximate middle of nowhere at the time. Judging by the fact we were in line behind several county police cars, all of whom were cheerfully shown into the main driveway, I don't think anyone tried to keep the cops out. The goings-on weren't a mystery but I also don't recall a lot of complaints, so it was kind of live and let live.

To be fair, the festivals were held at the Israel family compound, property which they owned, not on federal land. They also lived there full time and any garbage left behind or other post-festival annoyances would have been their problem alone. Their compound was several hundred acres in the absolute sticks, even by Arlington standards. Bankruptcy forced the family to sell the property in the early 2000s. I can't remember who owns it now.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've attended Rainbow Gatherings in the past (this should not shock any of you). I won't attend in the future, for several reasons, but chief among them my concerns about the way the property for each gathering is treated. Now, there is a cleanup crew for Rainbow Gatherings, but there is always some garbage left behind, as well as damage that the crew can't or won't fix, such as field latrines, campfire scars, and just the simple trampling of thousands of feet. Security is a huge concern as well. While I can't remember off the top of my head the last time somebody died at Rainbow, it hasn't been terribly long, and there are always stories of assaults (sexual and otherwise) that happen. That's unacceptable, and although I have had a GREAT time at Rainbow Gatherings, I won't be back.

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

I wonder if they're an offshoot of the Israels in Arlington -- Love and Honesty were the heads of that clan. Every year they held a "garlic festival" that was, by far, one of the most-attended events on the calendar. One year we didn't realize it was Garlic Festival weekend and got stuck in the traffic jam, which was definitely a surprise since we were on a rural two-lane road in the approximate middle of nowhere at the time. Judging by the fact we were in line behind several county police cars, all of whom were cheerfully shown into the main driveway, I don't think anyone tried to keep the cops out. The goings-on weren't a mystery but I also don't recall a lot of complaints, so it was kind of live and let live.

To be fair, the festivals were held at the Israel family compound, property which they owned, not on federal land. They also lived there full time and any garbage left behind or other post-festival annoyances would have been their problem alone. Their compound was several hundred acres in the absolute sticks, even by Arlington standards. Bankruptcy forced the family to sell the property in the early 2000s. I can't remember who owns it now.

Lotsa complaints by the people that lived near them.
We were one that lived on that little rural road a few miles from them.
The theft was rampant and they had absolutely zero qualms about walking onto people's property to take something they wanted. I remember at least half a dozen times one of them would be in the hen house loading eggs in a basket and mom chasing them out while another waited in the car. The lumber and construction tools stolen out of dads shop. Lawn mowers you name it were taken.
I worked at the 76 in town. They would come in for gas, you'd pump it and they didn't have the money and would try and pay by trading. Of course as you go in to call the local police they'd drive off. Happened a few times between a couple of us until boss said that if we even think they're part of the clan, money up front.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"...So ugly he couldn't get laid at a Rainbow Family event..."

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
"...So ugly he couldn't get laid at a Rainbow Family event..."

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

That'd have to be one ugly mofo

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next