Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 LAPD shoot/kill teen, aiming for dog... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jesus Christ....

Link

Remember what I was saying about 'officer safety' trumping everyone else's...?

Well, here's the outcome....

Dead kid.

But... It's cool though... the officers were right because....

Quote:
Under the department’s use-of-force policy, deputies are allowed to fire at animals if they “reasonably believe” that they’re about to be killed or be seriously injured by the animal.

So, how does one prevent shit like this from happening? Seriously. If they're just gonna hide behind the 'we followed department policy' BS...???

But of course, it wouldn't be good without some conflicting statements and victim blaming...

Quote:
Bergner said the dog was a full grown male that weighed 60- to 65-pounds and was five to seven feet away when the deputies opened fire. There was evidence that bullets struck the ground six to eight feet away from them, Bergner said. The teen emerged from behind a building about 40 feet away, he said.

So, the teen came around the side of the building, unseen, from 40ft away, and got hit by a ricochet...

Quote:
According to the memo, the two deputies shot at the pit bull “while the dog owner simultaneously tried to jump onto the dog to stop it from attacking deputy personnel.” The teen died later at Antelope Valley Hospital.

But wait, now the officers are saying the kid jumped in front of the bullet..... But... He was 40ft away...

So, a kid cleared 40ft in half a second with guns blazing?
:thumbsdown: :facepalm2:

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I smell a civil suit.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jesus Christ....

Lets not spin this like the officers missed their target or were reckless with their shots. Directly from the article:

According to the memo, the two deputies shot at the pit bull “while the dog owner simultaneously tried to jump onto the dog to stop it from attacking deputy personnel.” The teen died later at Antelope Valley Hospital.

Its always easy to armchair QB what shoulda, coulda been done better. But at 3:40am in the dark, with a 65lb pit bull charging a second time after already biting an office moments earlier I can see where the chaos came into play.

The kid should not have died, but him jumping on the dog with hopes of stopping it while the officers are about to fire takes the blame away from the officers IMO.

I get you have a dislike for LE in general, but look at the entire picture here with this one. Its not like they shot the kid for having this dog, they ACCIDENTIALLY shot him while he was jumping on the dog.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:44 am

That shit is going to get expensive. I can hear the lawyers from here.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the only people who profit from anything like this are bloodsucking lawyers.
I feel bad for the family.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
Jesus Christ....

The kid should not have died, but him jumping on the dog with hopes of stopping it while the officers are about to fire takes the blame away from the officers IMO.

So.. You missed the part about the conflicting statements....40ft away but shot while trying to jump on the dog?

Now we have to know when officers are about to shoot? WTF? So now citizens need to be mind readers to not get shot by police? Did you really just say that?

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:

I get you have a dislike for LE in general, but look at the entire picture here with this one. Its not like they shot the kid for having this dog, they ACCIDENTIALLY shot him while he was jumping on the dog.

I don't have a problem with law enforcement in general, as I've stated millions of times before, 99% of the cops out there are good people, they go to work, they want to make their Community a better place, etc. The reason that situations like these are so egregious s, is because they are abnormal, but, they are becoming more common, which is a problem.

And again, just because it's an accident, doesn't mean it's ok. This is not an accident, it's negligence. If I accidentally shot my neighbor, trying to fend off a dog that had already bit me, I would be going to jail. I would not be able to say, well, I followed all of my own policies and procedures, so, you can't sue me.

Which brings me right back to the point I made in another thread. They don't f****** man up. They don't admit that they made a mistake. They sit there, and hide behind their badge, and say oh well we followed all the proper departmental policies and procedures, so, what we did was okay. That's utter b*******.

If your departmental policy, gets innocent people shot, then maybe you should change the fucking policy.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

apparently one officer struck by the ricochet too.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two words: leash law. Was the dog on a leash or tied up?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wetpaperbag wrote:

From the article it sounds like at first it wasn't, then once it bit the officer they tied it up but he got free again

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Jesus Christ....

Link

But wait, now the officers are saying the kid jumped in front of the bullet..... But... He was 40ft away...

So, a kid cleared 40ft in half a second with guns blazing?
:thumbsdown: :facepalm2:

It happened today, and the article references them reading a "memo". You might have noticed that the media is sometimes not real good with their "facts". I am sure this will be clarified. If the bullets were hitting the ground (hard surface probably) at 5 to 6 Ft, something getting hit a 40 Ft is not a stretch. Was he really jumping on the dog? Perhaps an assumption. I am sure their will plenty more later. Then you will have at least 4 or 5 paragraphs to throw at the cops. Keep your powder dry.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
Wetpaperbag wrote:

From the article it sounds like at first it wasn't, then once it bit the officer they tied it up but he got free again

True. You had to have a pit bull, but did not buy the 100 lbs of responsibility that goes with it.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only the most anti-cop unreasonable person could blame the LEOs here.

Fault bad dog owners, fault dog owners who train dogs to attack cops in uniform, blame a bad dog, blame bad luck, blame dumb dog owners for not successfully restraining the dog after the initial bite...
blame people for having a loud obnoxious party where cops are called, blame really really bad luck.... I don't see how you can possibly blame cops on this one.

Excerpts from the article...

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html
By Maya Lau, Joseph Serna and Veronica Rocha

"...accidentally shot and killed a teenager in Palmdale early Thursday when their bullets bounced off the ground as they opened fire on an aggressive dog, ...

...The 17-year-old was struck in the chest by at least one “skip” round several yards from the deputies, who may not have noticed the teenager in the darkness when they fired several rounds at a charging pit bull ...

...Moments earlier, the dog had bitten one of the deputies in the knee and the teenager had restrained the animal so that it wouldn’t attack again. ....

...both the teen and the deputy had been struck by rounds that ricocheted off the ground when deputies fired at the charging animal....

...“He may have been struck by one of the skip rounds in what we’re calling an extremely, extremely unfortunate incident,” Bergner said. “Our initial impression was [the deputies] didn’t even see the individual coming around from the side of the building.”....

...deputies had gone to an apartment complex in the 38500 block of 10th Street East around 3:40 a.m. in response to a call about a loud party. As they arrived, a pit bull charged at them and bit one of the deputies in the left knee, ....

...The teenager, restrained the animal and brought it to the rear of the complex, which was around a corner, Bergner said. Meanwhile, the deputies retreated from the home to call for backup and medical units, who arrived and checked on the bitten deputy’s injuries.....

...At some point, the pit bull broke free and charged at the deputies again.

Bergner said the dog was a full-grown male that weighed 60 to 65pounds and was five to seven feet away from the deputies when they opened fire.....

...dog was struck and retreated to a carport area at the rear of the complex, the Sheriff’s Department said. Deputies decided to try to corral the dog to prevent anyone else from being attacked, but as they approached the carport they saw the boy on the ground wounded.

...Deputies provided medical aid before paramedics arrived and took him to Antelope Valley Hospital, where he died....."

Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:44 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Seems pretty clear to me that it was an unfortunate situation for all parties involved, not a case of willful negligence (or even simple negligence) nor itchy trigger finger on the part of LE.
One of the fellows on duty that night had already been bitten by the dog minutes earlier. Being bitten by a pitbull will put even an experienced dog person into fight/flight mode, and LE generally don't fly.
I am confident that I would have had my pistol out and shot it well before it got within 5-7 feet. Probably the only reason it hadn't been shot already was that the LE there showed restraint.

Life is dangerous. Life isn't fair. It doesn't matter whether you check the "I accept these terms" or not.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What happened to "know your target, and what is behind/beyond it"? Pretty sure most LEOs know you can skip rounds under a car on pavement...
shooters knew the ground was pavement, hence, not safe for the downward angle at the dog. They choose to fire, they are responsible, regardless if they are held legally liable.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:19 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next