Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:06 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Trailer modifications. 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I picked up a few M105 trailers for use "as is" on the tree farm, and had planned on modifying at least one for "domestic" use down on the house property.
They come from the military like this:
I picked that from a Google image search because it shows a lean. They are TALL trailers with those 9.00-20 split rims.
Here is an even worse lean...
The lunette comes like this :
But with heat, penetrant, various tools and going into Beast Mode you can pop the lunette out of its taper fit and flip it over to get a couple more inches.
Years ago I bought a long drop stinger, reversed it and mounted the pintle hitch to it so my trailers tow level. I guess it looks funny or interesting, as I have a lot of guys come up to talk with me about the trailer when I am out working with it, especially if I have the hoops and canopy on. I can't see past the trailer without RV mirrors on if I have the canopy up.
Recently I offered an M105(a1 maybe) in trade for a firearm that included possible trades for some offroad items, then came the thread mocking asshats who offer "strange things" for firearms... :rofl9: You fuckers.
I won't have time to do two of the big time modifications that I have had on the back burner for years this summer, but hoping by next winter to dig into them.
The first would be to swap the axle out. This will accomplish a couple of important things: lower the trailer to "normal" height for a civilian tow vehicle and drop a LOT of weight off. The extra weight in the MONSTER axle with air brakes, big heavy wheels/tires and the landing gear, or support jack.
It will look more like this:
Another added benefit is that the rim pattern and tires can match the tow vehicle... But honestly, I don't see that as an advantage as much as a requirement. Those 9.00-20s have never given me a flat in a couple of decades. I've added air a few times, but they are tank-tough so far.
But... If something were to puncture one, what a bitch to change that tire. So I concede that the tire swap is a bonus. :-(

The second fun project coming up next winter is to turn one of the M105s into a camper. I am vacillating on whether to keep the tall tires for that- I like the added height for camping. Make that pack of bears have to climb for a while before they get their snack of screaming wigglers in sleeping bags.

Mon May 22, 2017 9:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one in not so good shape you can have for free if you can get to it.

Mon May 22, 2017 9:37 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

golddigger14s wrote:

How I picture PMB right about now...

Mon May 22, 2017 9:47 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Massivedesign wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

How I picture PMB right about now...

No way.
Chuck has described his trailer location before - and it sounds like it would be a helluva fun project to get a WaGuns Trailer Retrieval Party organized and PIF our labor for someone who wants it.
I think Chuck said it was down a steep ravine? There are helicopter/crane lift points built all around the M105... Maybe Airmandan can arrange a lift for us? :thumbsup2:
Attachment:
helicopter lift.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 22, 2017 9:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:

Mon May 22, 2017 10:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No steep ravine, but a chainsaw would be very handy. :bigsmile:

Mon May 22, 2017 11:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How far off the road?

I can reach about 60' with my boom truck.

Mon May 22, 2017 6:27 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Get independent parking brakes.
Because if you brake heavily with a loaded trailer with that downward angle your front tires will be in the air and that's the only way you'll be able to steer.

Mon May 22, 2017 6:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Because if you brake heavily with a loaded trailer with that downward angle your front tires will be in the air and that's the only way you'll be able to steer.

Meh... steering is overrated.

Mon May 22, 2017 8:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
How far off the road?

I can reach about 60' with my boom truck.

Not sure about the distance, it's the vegetation thickness. Pretty sure more than 60'. Been awhile since I've been out there.

Mon May 22, 2017 8:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I modified a bunch of these a few years back for farm use back in Texas. I was making truck bed trailers but they were overloading them with cotton seed. I removed all but 5 of those monster springs and cut the u bolt in half along the threads. Then welded them side by side to the right length. Then cut the mil hubs off leaving the axle housing. Took a 14 bolt full floater and cut the tubes at the differential. Blew about six 1 inch holes in the mil tube in various places. Slid the 14 bolt tubes inside until I got the axle width desired, then welded the shit out of everything. Took the drive axles and cut the shaft off so I had just the flange. Put one one, lift the other side about a 2x4 off the ground after tires. Fill axle with gear lube until it runs out. Place other flange, and done. Well then deal with the hitch. I think I did six. Probably still being drug around in the field.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Mon May 22, 2017 9:04 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Guntrader wrote:

PMB wrote:
<snip>I picked that from a Google image search because it shows a lean. They are TALL trailers with those 9.00-20 split rims. Here is an even worse lean... <snip>
<snip> Years ago I bought a long drop stinger, reversed it and mounted the pintle hitch to it so my trailers tow level.<snip>

Mon May 22, 2017 9:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Screw the trailers, you guys can have those.....
I want that damn cruiser!

Tue May 23, 2017 5:31 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

mcyclonegt wrote:
I modified a bunch of these a few years back for farm use back in Texas. I was making truck bed trailers but they were overloading them with cotton seed. I removed all but 5 of those monster springs and cut the u bolt in half along the threads. Then welded them side by side to the right length. Then cut the mil hubs off leaving the axle housing. Took a 14 bolt full floater and cut the tubes at the differential. Blew about six 1 inch holes in the mil tube in various places. Slid the 14 bolt tubes inside until I got the axle width desired, then welded the shit out of everything. Took the drive axles and cut the shaft off so I had just the flange. Put one on, lift the other side about a 2x4 off the ground after tires. Fill axle with gear lube until it runs out. Place other flange, and done. Well then deal with the hitch. I think I did six. Probably still being drug around in the field.

Now that is excellent info... I wasn't super enthusiastic about my intended axle swap. Just enthusiastic.
Your plan could push me over to the super enthusiastic territory, which might cause me to put off finishing the house for a day or two to do that work.
When are you going to come down and visit? Every time I head up north you say "Working today. Off tomorrow." :bigsmile:

Tue May 23, 2017 5:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah I got stuck on the not so good schedule. I either work Friday Saturday or Sunday Monday. Never have both off. I am going to make it a point make one of the next few shows. I'm in need of a fix.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Tue May 23, 2017 8:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next