Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 When does an Immigrant become an American? 

Do "US Citizen" and "American" have the exact same definition?
Yes 35%  35%  [ 15 ]
No 65%  65%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 43

When does an Immigrant become an American? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Um, my ancestors rode the Mayflower. That predates the USA.

Sat May 20, 2017 3:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
Not sure why but I started thinking of this the other day.

An immigrant comes to the USA. They become a US Citizen. I don't consider them to be an American.

They have kids, that are born in the USA, to parents that were born and raised elsewhere. I don't consider their kids to be Americans.

When they have kids, I consider their kids to be Americans. Only somebody born in America, can raise an American.

Why you ask? It seems to me that America is more than just some paperwork, more than our laws. More than just where you are born. Being an American is all about our Culture. If you were born and raised someplace else, you don't have our culture. If you are raised by parents that were born someplace else, they will impart their culture on you. This is part of the Melting Pot that makes America so great. Until everything mixes together, it's its own thing.

Without the melting pot, you end up with Chinatown, and Koreatown, and Little Mexico etc. People don't mix in, they remain separate. I don't consider these people to be Americans.

Thoughts? What does it mean to you to be an American?

Using your logic my wife wouldn't be an 'American'. Her father is from Sicily.

If you come to this country, work hard, become a citizen and live the American Dream then IMHO you are just as much an American as I am.

I have met plenty of immigrants that have come here and almost all of them have loved this country more than most native born people I have met. My father in law came from Sicily when he was 12, spoke no English and had to learn everything. He is prouder of being an American than he is of just about anything else. People that have lived in real shitholes have a greater appreciation for what this country is, and what they can achieve here, than most people that have been born and raised here.

'The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.'

Adolf Hitler

Mon May 22, 2017 8:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So if a person burns the American Flag are they still American?

Mon May 22, 2017 9:11 pm

So the person who makes the effort and spends the money to come here is not an American? The one that passes the test that a lot of "Americans" would fail to become a citizen isn't an American? The ones who actually take an oath to the Constitution isn't an American?
The one who comes here, joins the military, and fights for this country isn't an American? Nor are their kids? I'm only half American since my mom was from the Phillipines?
General John Shalikashvili, The Former Chairman Of The Joint Chiefs of Staff, Was An Immigrant From Poland wasn't an American? Nor was Medal of Honor awardee Staff Sergeant Laszlo Rabel who was born in Hungary? Do you have the balls to go up to Florent Groberg, a French born Medal of Honor winner that he isn't an American because he was born in france? How about SSG Hiroshi H. Miyamura who was born to Japanese immigrant parents?
But some ignorant redneck chicken fucker who had done nothing but be born to some meth whore in a trailer park is? The fatass welfare leech is more American than any of those?
Is this what you're actually saying???

How many born in America Americans have taken this oath?
Quote:
"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

Tue May 23, 2017 12:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a better question: When does a WaGuns thread about immigration become pointless and/or offensive?

Tue May 23, 2017 5:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
I have a better question: When does a WaGuns thread about immigration become pointless and/or offensive?

You forget that it's been stated that nothing offensive or racist has EVER been said on WaGuns [/sarc]

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Tue May 23, 2017 5:23 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:

Some threads... when first started.

Tue May 23, 2017 5:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Benja455 wrote:

Winner!

Tue May 23, 2017 5:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
AR15L wrote:
Benja455 wrote:

Winner!

I disagree. It's been fascinating to see the split between members. As I stated earlier, it's interesting to see how some people think a piece of paper makes you an American, and others think it's a cultural thing. The poll is the perfect question.

Tue May 23, 2017 5:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:

Wrong on 2 points. First, yours is not a better question. Second, there is nothing offensive about asking for other people's opinions on a subjective topic.

Tue May 23, 2017 6:25 am

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Benja455 wrote:

Wrong on 2 points. First, yours is not a better question. Second, there is nothing offensive about asking for other people's opinions on a subjective topic.

This. Everyone that comes here legally is "american". I think this is more on how you look at people and how they assimilated, like say a guy comes here and joins the military, learns english, and bonds with other races, ect vs someone that lives in a community that is heavily populated with people from their country, work at a market that caters to their country and they never attempt to learn the language so they can communicate with others. Pretty simple.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Tue May 23, 2017 6:41 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Benja455 wrote:

Agreed, we should be able to have a CIVIL discussion about many things. But, with everything there is a line that shouldn't be crossed and that line is defined in our CoC. If one sees a violation of the CoC, then they need to hit the report button (or in your case, moderate).

Tue May 23, 2017 7:46 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glockgirl wrote:
So I'm not an American, a U.S. citizen, because...why, again? My father was an American citizen living in Canada, and I was born (landed-born, to use the correct terminology) to a Canadian mother. Who later naturalised.

The second I took a damn breath I was a U.S. citizen, and in that same second, I was a Canadian citizen. Do you think I would not defend either of my nations of citizenship? Am I somehow less of an American--a tax-paying American citizen--because I hold dual citizenship? How about my sons? They were all born in the United States, but have dual citizenship as well due to my Canadian citizenship.

Oh, right, they're not "real" Americans because they speak French and Spanish in addition to English. Oh, and the oldest is working on Russian and Mandarin. So ohmygod they must have some sort of allegiance to...um, pick a country?

Like someone else said, you have a U.S. passport or a U.S. birth certificate or U.S. consular certificate of birth abroad, you are a citizen of the United States, you are an American, period, full stop.

Um, that is what I said just a few posts ago.

Without the sermon, however.

Tue May 23, 2017 10:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
2. Regardless of what their response is... Refusing to assimilate is defacto, refusing to be an American.

I think this is the most salient point of the entire thread.

And is the core of most of the problems we are having today with immigrants in much of America.

BTW, it is not new. It is an ongoing theme of America since immigrants started arriving and governments started caring about it, in the later 1800's.

The movie "West Side Story" won the Best Picture, Director, and many other Oscars in 1961. Two "gangs" of New York, today would be labeled "immigrants".

Tue May 23, 2017 11:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
One item of note though, an Illegal Alien can never be an American. Even if they get amnesty, they still won't be American. An American doesn't sneak into the country illegally.

Nice. Both of my parents were illegals, got amnesty, and became citizens.

So was Melania Trump. Just sayin'.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/11 ... -show.html

Tue May 23, 2017 11:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next