Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:18 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Runner beats up wimp, throws bicycle off mountain. 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Do bicycles still have bells these days??
I'm thinking of something pink with training wheels and handlebar streamers.
Edit: Changed 'snowflake' to 'wimp' in title.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/03/28/s ... acked-him/
"Andrew says he was climbing the Loop trail on the east side of North Table Mountain and repeatedly rang his bell and alerted the trail runner he was trying to pass.
“He gets probably to this side of me almost completely past me and says, ‘I remember you.’ And before I know it he’s grabbing my throat. He basically shoved me over onto the boulder and I just went into total protection mode and tried to cover my head,” Andrew said. “After the two punches he stomped on my back kind of right around here,” Andrew said.

Then the runner allegedly threw Andrew’s bike 50 feet down the mountain off the trail.

Last edited by Guntrader on Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where is the snowflake here?

I see bells sold for bikes all the time. Mountain biker tries to get past on a trail, somebody gets cranky over sharing the trail and goes apeshit. How that makes the guy on a bike a "snowflake" is beyond me.

Maybe he should have been carrying an AR-15 pistol in .458 and let the runner have a full mag in order to assert dominance.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll add snowflake to the long list of words that have lost all meaning.

This list includes:
- literally
- safe space
- tactical

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Role reversals and man buns are hip nowadays.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:rockout: :mulletslayer:

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jdhbulseye wrote:
:rockout: :mulletslayer:

That is pretty damn cool, I don't care who you are.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bells are very handy for mountain bikers who ride in areas where bears may be nearby. No cyclist wants to come around a corner only to find a mama bear and her 2 cubs in the middle of the trail. Mama bear doesn't want this, either.

A bell is also good to have if you know that other trail users aren't likely to hear you coming (they're wearing headphones or it's a brushy environment where sound doesn't travel well) and there isn't a lot of extra room to safely pass them. Mountain trails are notorious for this, especially if they're narrow, rutted, or single track.

Colorado -- and Golden in particular -- is a prime domestic training ground for elite cyclists, both road and mountain. A number of guys who ride the Tour de France and the other big European stage races train in CO. That runner might be really bummed out to learn that, not only does he get to face charges for assault or whatever they determine this to be, but he will also have the pleasure of paying for that bike he chucked off the trail. Could be near 5 figures in replacement value.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:15 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Thanks for the info.
But wouldn't a small electric or compressed gas horn work a lot better?
The little circular bells I remember as a kid weren't very loud.

mislabeled wrote:
Bells are very handy for mountain bikers who ride in areas where bears may be nearby. No cyclist wants to come around a corner only to find a mama bear and her 2 cubs in the middle of the trail. Mama bear doesn't want this, either.

A bell is also good to have if you know that other trail users aren't likely to hear you coming (they're wearing headphones or it's a brushy environment where sound doesn't travel well) and there isn't a lot of extra room to safely pass them. Mountain trails are notorious for this, especially if they're narrow, rutted, or single track.

Colorado -- and Golden in particular -- is a prime domestic training ground for elite cyclists, both road and mountain. A number of guys who ride the Tour de France and the other big European stage races train in CO. That runner might be really bummed out to learn that, not only does he get to face charges for assault or whatever they determine this to be, but he will also have the pleasure of paying for that bike he chucked off the trail. Could be near 5 figures in replacement value.

Last edited by Guntrader on Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:

[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noCWtagaDJQ[/youtube]

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:

"Andrew says he was climbing the Loop trail on the east side of North Table Mountain and repeatedly rang his bell and alerted the trail runner he was trying to pass.
He gets probably to this side of me almost completely past me and says, ‘I remember you.’ And before I know it he’s grabbing my throat. He basically shoved me over onto the boulder and I just went into total protection mode and tried to cover my head,” Andrew said. “After the two punches he stomped on my back kind of right around here,” Andrew said.

Then the runner allegedly threw Andrew’s bike 50 feet down the mountain off the trail.

There is history between these two. It's not just the bell.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Everything in cycling is about weight, right down to the gram. That's part of the reason top-level cyclists get sick so easily -- keeping themselves skinny is a cheap way to shave weight, but their immune systems are weakened in the process and they succumb to stomach bugs like they've contracted the fucking plague. The lightest option to make noise is one of those crappy little bells, so that's what's used. It's also a very incongruous sound out in the woods and usually carries farther than you think it would.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
Guntrader wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Everything in cycling is about weight, right down to the gram. That's part of the reason top-level cyclists get sick so easily -- keeping themselves skinny is a cheap way to shave weight, but their immune systems are weakened in the process and they succumb to stomach bugs like they've contracted the fucking plague. The lightest option to make noise is one of those crappy little bells, so that's what's used. It's also a very incongruous sound out in the woods and usually carries farther than you think it would.

Makes for some shiny bear poop, too!

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
Guntrader wrote:

He gets probably to this side of me almost completely past me and says, ‘I remember you.’ And before I know it he’s grabbing my throat. He basically shoved me over onto the boulder and I just went into total protection mode and tried to cover my head,” Andrew said. “After the two punches he stomped on my back kind of right around here,” Andrew said.

There is history between these two. It's not just the bell.

That's what I was thinking too.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:56 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

From reading the story it sounds like the bicyclist shook his head at the runner when he was finally able to pass and the runner didn't appreciate the head shake. They ran into each other later at the top of the trail. Hence "I remember you." That's when the altercation occurred. This is just the cyclist's side of the story though.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
From reading the story it sounds like the bicyclist shook his head at the runner when he was finally able to pass and the runner didn't appreciate the head shake. They ran into each other later at the top of the trail. Hence "I remember you." That's when the altercation occurred. This is just the cyclist's side of the story though.

I wasn't there, of course, so this is pure speculation.

But it sounds like the ages old story.

Bicyclist feels superior to runner, and acts like it. Shakes his head at the runner, because the runner was 'uppity', and didn't magically disappear out of the way of the cyclist.

Runner notes this.

Later the cyclist comes up behind the runner again, and rings and rings and rings that bell at the uppity runner. We know the rest.

Do justice. Love mercy.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next