Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:44 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Nephew Looking For Work- South End 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RockHopper wrote:
My little bro is in the local hodcarriers union. He's been layed off 3 times this year already. $38 an hr doesn't amount to much when you spend most of your time cooling your heels in a union hall.

I cant speak for the hodcarriers , but if youre a Laborer, a Carpenter or an Ironworker in W.WA and out of work its because you suck and have a well earned reputation for sucking, or you want some time off and are collecting the max $625/week unemployment and doing other stuff with your time.

I havent had any down time in the last 4 years. And thats with quitting 3 jobs last fall. Been working 45-55 hrs a week on average since Nov. And it looks like Ill be moving into a foreman's position which adds another 10 hrs a week of OT.

Is he out hustling jobs, or just sitting around waiting for a dispatch from his hall? In 8 years I've been dispatched a total of 1 time, my very first job. In the Carpenters, just like any other job, you go knock on doors and ask if they're hiring, unless you like being on unemployment . Currently that isnt the situation, the guys on the out of work list are getting dispatched fairly regularly. Makes it hard to take 2 weeks off to go on vacation. :ROFLMAO:

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

waglocker wrote:
What is a hodcarrier?

A laborer who stocks block/brick for masons, I assume they mix mortar also but not 100%.

Might erect and tear down scaffold for the masons also.

I have very little interaction with them on the jobs I'm on, 40 story high rise currently. Theyre in the parking garage levels putting up block walls around utility rooms , low walls between parking level ramps and such and tend to be done in a couple months whereas the job is over a year long for the formwork Carpenters doing the decks/columns/concrete walls/ elevator and stair cores etc.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond, much appreciated :thumbsup2:

I will go over some of these ideas with him, and see what might work.

I will PM anyone who was kind enough to offer something personal to them (their company, etc.), if that's what he chooses to follow up on.

Thanks again to everyone who responded :cheers2:

Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2