Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:47 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Looking for handyman/ tile guy recommendations 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have a bathroom to remodel and would like to do tile this time around. Anyone here lay tile or do handyman work?

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tile is pretty easy. Go to Home Depot and they have a saturday hour long classes on how to do it.
Save the money Chris, you can do it yourself. :thumbsup2:
Lots of great youtube view too. Take a look, you can do this!

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Laying tile isn't the concern, it's building a whole new shower and making sure the waterproofing is done roght.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:07 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Waterproof shower mat in the pan , mud, hardipanel, tape and redguard etc

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just did my shower and saved myself about 10K. I had some help from a guy that does only tile for a living and he is one of the best in Thurston county. I order a hard foam shower pan from KBRS before I met him and he was impressed with it. It ran me 1100 for a 60x70 inch pan. He does his out of mortar and has done so many its easier for him, but his quote was 1000 for a mortar one due to time and the size. The pan is the most important part. Dont cheap out. The KBRS pan is made to order, the slope is perfect and it is ready to tile. Hardibacker is the best if you are shopping at a big box store. Durock is absolute shit. Brittle and crumbly. Pain in the ass to cut, and makes a huge ass mess. As far as a sealer goes, I was told to avoid redguard. Not exactly sure why, but he said most the pros use Hydroban. May have to call around, and little goes a long way. I did my huge shower and a bathroom floor at a rental with half a 5 gallon bucket. It is a roll on liquid product. Real easy to use. When it come to mortar its hard to go wrong, but the 25 dollar bag of white mortar is easier to use than the cheap grey bag. Grout has come a long way. There is a newer product that is urethane based grout. It is amazing. No sealing, premixed and so easy to use. It is expensive, but worth it. I used Quartzlock 2. It is only available at a tile store. You will never have to clean it, no mold, mildew or staining.

This was my second shower. It turned out great. I'll find some pics to post up.

http://kbrsinc.com/

https://laticrete.com/our-products/tile ... /hydro-ban

http://surfaceartinc.com/accessories/gr ... grout.html

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Monday bump

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]