Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Amazon salary levels 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just wanted to say thank you for the feedback from everyone.

+82 positive feedback on SGN

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife has worked at Amazon for 6+ years and yes she works a lot but the pay and benefits make it all worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To be quite honest, there are some bright, talented, and driven people here, but the turnover and low morale are quite shocking. There's a fine line between being able to enjoy life and working until I'm blue in the face.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been with Amazon for three years, was promoted to L6 last year, senior engineer, so objectively I'm performing well.

Different job roles have different salaries and stock. ie. L6 engineer will not be on the same range as an L6 customer support.

The top salary at Amazon is 160k afaik. Nobody gets more base cash than that. The rest will be in RSUs, which has no ceiling AFAIK, ie. millions if you are an L10 VP. Negotiating is going to be mostly around RSUs. Do push. Once you have an offer, there is no chance they will take the offer off the table, so go hard.

Life at Amazon depends on you and your team. Occasionally I'm pedal to the metal 100 hour weeks to get stuff out the door. My wife understands when I'm in that mode. But normally I'm doing roughly M-F 9-5. A large amount of which I do from home. And I really enjoy my work and team mates. My org has relatively low turn over and many who have been there 10+ years.

The only reason to join Amazon is if you personally like getting things done, relentlessly deliver results. If you want more balance, less stress,I'm sure the other tech companies compensate the same or better, but more importantly, if it ends up not being right for you, those RSUs vanish.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cityslicker wrote:
+1 on the Glass Door. It is one of the best resources for inside info there is when prospecting employers.

Two of my friends started Glass Door.

A prospective employer once described it to me as "ransomware".

I think some of the reviews are helpful but there are plenty from people with grudges and shill reviews from HR.
You really do have to read a lot to get a good feel.

All of my friends says Amazon is a sweatshop but it depends on which group you are in how bad it is.

Last edited by ANZAC on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
cityslicker wrote:
+1 on the Glass Door. It is one of the best resources for inside info there is when prospecting employers.

A protective employer once described it to me as "ransomware".

I think some of the reviews are helpful but there are plenty from people with grudges and shill reviews from HR.

All of my friends says Amazon is a sweatshop but it depends on which group you are in how bad it is.

You're friends with Rich Barton?

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RusoArmo wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
cityslicker wrote:

A prospective employer once described it to me as "ransomware".

You're friends with Rich Barton?

I am, though Glassdoor was started by two other guys with investments from Rich.

And no, I'm not a millionaire.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe we need a WAGuns email list at Amazon, or is there one that I don't know about?

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure about Amazon but I know Microsoft had several firearm oriented DLs

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PinSniper wrote:
Been with Amazon for three years, was promoted to L6 last year, senior engineer, so objectively I'm performing well.

Different job roles have different salaries and stock. ie. L6 engineer will not be on the same range as an L6 customer support.

The top salary at Amazon is 160k afaik. Nobody gets more base cash than that. The rest will be in RSUs, which has no ceiling AFAIK, ie. millions if you are an L10 VP. Negotiating is going to be mostly around RSUs. Do push. Once you have an offer, there is no chance they will take the offer off the table, so go hard.

Life at Amazon depends on you and your team. Occasionally I'm pedal to the metal 100 hour weeks to get stuff out the door. My wife understands when I'm in that mode. But normally I'm doing roughly M-F 9-5. A large amount of which I do from home. And I really enjoy my work and team mates. My org has relatively low turn over and many who have been there 10+ years.

The only reason to join Amazon is if you personally like getting things done, relentlessly deliver results. If you want more balance, less stress,I'm sure the other tech companies compensate the same or better, but more importantly, if it ends up not being right for you, those RSUs vanish.

Yep, pretty much a good summary of Amazon, as spoken by my brother in law's wife's--her nephew who works there (Sales and Marketing manager)

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: South Puget Sound (sounds more hoity toity than Puyallup)
100 hours per week...how do you people not drop dead from heart attacks?

Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nate wrote:

They drink heavily and engage in a ton of other self-destructive behaviors.

No joke...I've been to two funerals and seen multiple ruined marriages because of Amazon's workaholic office culture (for the record, MSFT is a runner up).

Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Raygun74 wrote:
Maybe we need a WAGuns email list at Amazon, or is there one that I don't know about?

RusoArmo wrote:
Not sure about Amazon but I know Microsoft had several firearm oriented DLs

This would be a great idea. I'm not aware of any distro lists or clubs. Frankly, I'm just tired of being surrounded by libs everywhere.

Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
Nate wrote:

No joke...I've been to two funerals and seen multiple ruined marriages because of Amazon's workaholic office culture (for the record, MSFT is a runner up).

For MSFT, it all depends on the boundaries which you set and your group.

I worked a few late nights to get some things done and my boss gently chastised me for it. And I offered to log in on a PTO day and my data architect told me not to.

And I've made it abundantly clear that I am not available between 5-8pm because that's prime family time. Nobody has complained or asked me to break that boundary at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
Benja455 wrote:
Nate wrote:

For MSFT, it all depends on the boundaries which you set and your group.

I worked a few late nights to get some things done and my boss gently chastised me for it. And I offered to log in on a PTO day and my data architect told me not to.

And I've made it abundantly clear that I am not available between 5-8pm because that's prime family time. Nobody has complained or asked me to break that boundary at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it's highly dependent on the situation. In my case, it was due to external threats, it wasn't a management fuck up, we just had to haul ass to make sure bad guys don't fuck shit up :)

Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2