Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 7:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Millenials are less likely to support gun control 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

...than general population, yet they are more liberal than general population.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mil ... nk-n610546

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw this a couple of days ago - weird article quoting two control activists and only one pro-2a person given the findings of the surveys.

With that said, some discussions on Reddit summarized it nicely...America has been at war for 15 years (half or 3/4 of a millennial's life), it's hard to argue that we need to ban the AR15/AK47 when many millennials have been using that same gun to "spread democracy" (or have a friend/sibling who did) or used said gun in a video game for the last ten years.

They tend to see through that bullshit more easily.

Also...the Internet.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it could also be added that history and civics classes are taking a very far back seat compared to math and reading due to the state/federal testing focus. Nothing says you can't use history texts to teach reading, especially more then ever when the tests, and standards, have a heavier emphasis on nonfiction samples. However, most student history books are boring to read for students and teach for most teachers, so the topics become dreaded. And if a parent didn't like a subject in school you know damn good and well they bitched about it to their child about how much they hated a subject and it leaves a negative impression on the student. I think over the years history was the learning whipping post and has become not liked or looked forward to. Which means kids growing up are out of touch to things such as constitutional rights, and the fights it took to get those rights and why they are important today.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wetpaperbag wrote:
I think it could also be added that history and civics classes are taking a very far back seat compared to math and reading due to the state/federal testing focus. Nothing says you can't use history texts to teach reading, especially more then ever when the tests, and standards, have a heavier emphasis on nonfiction samples. However, most student history books are boring to read for students and teach for most teachers, so the topics become dreaded. And if a parent didn't like a subject in school you know damn good and well they bitched about it to their child about how much they hated a subject and it leaves a negative impression on the student. I think over the years history was the learning whipping post and has become not liked or looked forward to. Which means kids growing up are out of touch to things such as constitutional rights, and the fights it took to get those rights and why they are important today.

Huh?

The article says today's young adults (the very last few years of the millennials are in high school, most of them are out of college) support the 2A...so I'm unsure what you mean by saying they are out of touch with the constitution.

Also, supporting gay rights - which is also popular amongst millennials - is also fairly inline with the constitution. Seems to me, they have their shit together.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess that's what I get for skimming the article and misreading the thread subject line.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Read an article or study (can't remember which) that was linking video games to my generation being into firearms.

They play COD or Battlefield and want to buy the guns they used in the game.

Me? First generation in America from a Communist country, left Moscow in the early 90s during the peak of the "wild" capitalism. Old man was always carrying an illegal Tok or Mak back then based on what his "friends" could get him. Then we came here, moved to a little village called the Tri Cities and he saw a 60 year old man at the gym putting on his belt with a 1911 on it.

"You are police officer?"
"No."
"You are Army man?"
"No."
"Is this toy pistol?"
"No."
"How?"
"Welcome to America."

As soon as he saved up enough money (we were but poor legal refugees back then) he went and bought an HK USP .45.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I play billiards every Mon, Wed, Fri am at the local senior center. We recently had a new person show up. Kostya emigrated from the Ukrain and was surprised to see the number of seniors that carried. He had similar questions. Damn, that guy can shoot pool.

I Believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies."
William Tyler Page 1917

Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most millennials are liberal minded. As they get a little older they'll be indoctrinated into the Democratic Party's way of thinking. I have no doubt if we end up with our first female felon POTUS, she will be spending untold fortunes of our tax money on PR programs made to turn people against guns. The soft headed impressionable youngsters will be a top priority of that campaign.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ruso I think you are on point bringing up the article about a lot of our generation bring exposed to guns via video games. Think the pro 2a sentiment is also a byproduct of millennials being the generation told growing up that so many things are bad in such a black and white sense, only to find out that it's bs when you get older. We were told via sex Ed and things like the D.A.R.E. program in school that if you have sex you'll immediately get a girl pregnant/get aids or that one joint will turn you into a raging drug addict. Now that politicians are backing off on pot being a society destroying evil it makes a few more people realize that maybe the claims these same people are making about guns being unstoppable rampage devices are also a crock of shit.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RusoArmo wrote:
Read an article or study (can't remember which) that was linking video games to my generation being into firearms.

Me? First generation in America from a Communist country, left Moscow in the early 90s during the peak of the "wild" capitalism. Old man was always carrying an illegal Tok or Mak back then based on what his "friends" could get him. Then we came here, moved to a little village called the Tri Cities and he saw a 60 year old man at the gym putting on his belt with a 1911 on it.

"No."
"You are Army man?"
"No."
"Is this toy pistol?"
"No."
"How?"
"Welcome to America."

As soon as he saved up enough money (we were but poor legal refugees back then) he went and bought an HK USP .45.

That is a great story!
My first exposure to garands was in the medal of honor video game. now I have 4 of them :thumbsup2:

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

badclam wrote:
Most millennials are liberal minded. As they get a little older they'll be indoctrinated into the Democratic Party's way of thinking. I have no doubt if we end up with our first female felon POTUS, she will be spending untold fortunes of our tax money on PR programs made to turn people against guns. The soft headed impressionable youngsters will be a top priority of that campaign.

You mean the ones that supported Bernie and got screwed by Hillary and her BFF DWS? Maybe these "impressionable youngsters" are pissed enough to vote for anyone BUT Hillary and that means she could really come up short when the votes are counted the night of November 8. Remember, Bernie got almost half the "legitimate" delegates (forget the Super-Delegates) and Hillary was stupid enough to turn her back on him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:10 pm

As Hillary election has demonstrated, there is nothing liberal about modern Democratic party. Millenials, however, are indeed liberal. As in, really liberal. Not democratic party liberal.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RusoArmo wrote:

"No."
"You are Army man?"
"No."
"Is this toy pistol?"
"No."
"How?"
"Welcome to America."

WINNING! LOL :patriot:

Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:42 pm

solyanik wrote:
As Hillary election has demonstrated, there is nothing liberal about modern Democratic party. Millenials, however, are indeed liberal. As in, really liberal. Not democratic party liberal.

This is a good point and spot on. They are not Liberal, rather they seem to be liberal. We notice the extremes, the total gimme free shit ones, but they aren't the majority.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:39 pm

RusoArmo wrote:

Some things I've heard... A guy on the phone telling his buddy that it was like a real life Call of Duty in the store. Teens with their parents, and early 20s talking about how they saw this gun or that one in a game. It's not uncommon.

Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next