Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Minnesota LEO kills licensed gun owner at traffic stop 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
STED9R wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:
I've engaged in this debate around the web for two or more days and have asked but never received any answer to a simple question. Name one legit reason his hand was anywhere near his gun, especially when ordered 3 times to not touch it. Please educate the rest of us on one legit reason.

Maybe because you have yet to objectively prove that his hand was near his gun, because there is no video or photographic evidence to back that claim up. It's pointless to provide a reason for it if we can't even establish that it happened.

Being one the is fully deaf on left side, and marginal on the right, not hearing orders and making a mistake is my biggest fear.
I've been pulled over while carrying. While I respect others opinions, I'm not in the camp to not mention I am carrying.
When I've been pulled over I don't get my paperwork in order right outta the gate as to me it looks like I'm shuffling around and hiding something.
My window is down and BOTH my hands are hanging out the window while I tell the officer I do have a weapon and I am hard of hearing.
After the initial contact, I tell them where paperwork is and there is or is not also a weapon within that place, I usually carry another in console with ins an reg, and that driver license is in same location as carry weapon.
Not once have I had a problem, or even a nervous officer.
I would not have a problem having the officer secure my carry themselves if it kept their level of tension down.
Having a step father as a retired SPD, I do have a bit of insight what they feel and think on what we would think of a normal stop.
In my opinion, a little effort and time on my part, keeps both parties not only safe, but in a much more relaxed and casual encounter.

I couldn't comment logically on the this trainwreck as my opinion both parties are in the wrong. But then again, I can't see through the officers eyes, nor read the real intentions of the driver, and neither can anyone else.

One suggestion, if I were you, I would have a laminated card to hand over as well, with your license, that says "I am nearly deaf. I will comply fully with your lawful orders." Or similar. I would have that card and license available with your hands outside the window when the officer walks up.

Actually, very good idea!
Looks like the companies laminate machine will get some use!

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IRackNBack wrote:
That's hilarious. My EXACT situation.

I've been pulled over 6-7 times in my adult life. Been carrying every single time. As soon as I stop I roll down all the windows and put my hands on the top of the wheel. I inform them I have a firearm and CPL. Only once have I been disarmed and I was 21 years old. Only twice have I been asked to provide my CPL. and only once have I been given a ticket which was also the HOV violation that happened a couple months ago. every other stop was for speeding and always a warning with a thank you. the HOV ticket I got the officer said I had watched too many movies and was a bit uptight when he walked up and saw my hands sprawled out.

As for the shooting, it's VERY VERY easy to do exactly what the officer says. Did the guy deserve to die? not my call. but it could have been very easily avoided.

STED9R wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:
One of my work out partners was a WA state patrol officer.
I brought this very question up to him years ago..."Do I tell the officer I have a weapon in the car and that I am licensed?"

"NO! DON'T tell us unless we ASK you!". Otherwise a 15 min stop will turn into a 1 hour stop because now we have to secure the weapon(s), check the weapon(s), run the S/N(s), run your CPL (Assuming you have one) and it's a hassle for you.

This goes for Minnesota as well.

Of the 4 stops in past 20 years, or more, that I've been pulled over for speeding and 1 hov violation. 3 State patrol and one Pierce Sheriff, not a single one resulted in them wanting to see weapon or search #'s.
And every single one of those stops had the officer thanking me for letting him now and not moving when he came up to window.
Every speeding stop, I was let to go on my way while I did get a ticket for hov, even after explanation I was going around car that tossed cigarette out and hit my windshield, but officer had thought it was me, but got a ticket for going into hov, he was a couple cars behind me.
But if they want to run numbers at some point in the future, I'd rather they do so then me not hearing exactly what they said or happen to see my weapon ver the top of my wallet as I pull it out. To me, a bit of inconvenience is much better than the possibility of getting shot or having a nervous officer at my window.

That's great! Glad your experience was a good one.
But you are NOT required by law to tell them unless they ask ...that's my point!
I choose not to offer information unless they ask. Then, and only then, would I comply with the law as its written.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:47 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Never volunteered that I had a firearm or CPL, never been asked either.
Even when pulled over for speeding and the trooper saw a bunch of loaded handguns in the passenger seat.
Subject never came up, but we didn't really talk either.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

STED9R wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:
One suggestion, if I were you, I would have a laminated card to hand over as well, with your license, that says "I am nearly deaf. I will comply fully with your lawful orders." Or similar. I would have that card and license available with your hands outside the window when the officer walks up.

Actually, very good idea!
Looks like the companies laminate machine will get some use!

Well........... you ain't me but.......

I'm SO doing this.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12