Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Time for a new bed.  
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread is relevant to my interests, as I am also pondering a new mattress....

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soaring Heart wool topped futon... but I can sleep on a hard wood floor...

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have a Costco pillow top King that's pretty good. The final answer was when we added a separate memory foam topper. For us, a couple on our 50s and early 60s, it is the perfect bed.
But, Every Body is different... Try to find a deal where a return is practical. It would be very bad to be stuck with a bed that doesn't fit your style...

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everybody in this thread is wrong. I'm right. :thumbsup2:

Buy one of these: https://www.tuftandneedle.com/

Their $750 mattress is $750. They don't sell $3000 mattress's marked down to $488. They don't bullshit, they don't play games. They are straight shooters. They are awesome. I researched it heavily, and bought one. I love it.

Quote:
Tuft & Needle was founded in 2013 by two software engineers from Silicon Valley who were fed up with the lack of transparency and fairness in the mattress industry.

JT had just gotten married and he and his wife set out to buy their first piece of furniture together–a new mattress. The search began at local mattress showrooms; vast fields of mattresses neatly laid out under the buzz of fluorescent lights. Pushy salesmen pushed them to buy a fully loaded, feature-rich memory foam mattress. For $3,300 it should have been the pinnacle of comfort, but it wasn’t. To make matters worse, the return policy rendered it impossible to return. It was like car shopping. Actually it was worse than car shopping.

At work the next day, he shared his story with Daehee. The two friends from college had been working together at a company in Palo Alto, and unsurprisingly had similar experiences. There was work to be done.

We believe that business can be honest and premium products don’t need remote controls and payment plans. Especially not mattresses.

Don't buy it from Amazon, they charge sales tax. Buy it straight from Tuft & Needles website. (Don't forget to pay your use tax.)

This website has tons of info that will make your head spin: http://www.themattressunderground.com/

Consumer Reports has info on mattresses as well. If you have a library card you can typically access their full website for free. Just login to the library system, search for Consumer Reports, and access the "Electronic item".

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go to a mattress store and try all of them. Don't rush yourself and lay on the one you like for an hour.

We decided on a memory foam mattress about 7-8 years ago. We had it for about 5 and it started getting body divots and became uncomfortable.

We've had a Select Comfort about 3 years now and like it. A nice feature is that if the foam starts wearing out, you just get a new piece rather than replace the whole mattress. And you can adjust it periodically based on how you're feeling. I change my number slightly every few weeks.

The thing we both miss about memory foam is the jiggling when one of us rolls over. The foam hardly moved. The Select Comfort has a little wiggle to it. Not nearly as bad as a spring mattress but not as good as foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On a side note, the memory foam may be a bad idea. I don't want my mattress remembering what I did on it.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:24 pm

My wife and I bought a tempurpedic about 9 years ago and we've been happy with it. It feels just like the day we bought it. I just don't want to ever have to move the thing again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:16 am

I have an Icomfort. Love that thing. Super stable and doesn't jiggle, good for accurate insertion.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recommend an adjustable base also. We have ergo bases for ours. We have both sides articulate independent of the other. Downside is we have a cavern in the middle of the bed.

Really good for when you're sick and need to keep yourself more upright.

Adjustable bed's aren't just for old people anymore.

Also recommend a wool topper. Helps you sleep better: http://holylamborganics.com/collections ... ss-toppers

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:18 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Just a quick piece of advice. If you get a memory foam put the bag/mattress up on your bed then open it and let it expand into place. They are heavy and awkward as hell. Moving them once they open is a huge pain in the ass.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Serta iComfort hybrid gel/memory foam top mattress, ultra-firm, queen, bought from Sleep Country last July.

Ordered online at around 1000, the mattress and box spring (they call it something else now--it doesn't look like a traditional box spring) were both delivered at around 2130 that night, and they hauled away the old mattress and box spring for free. I was at work, nanny was with the boys, came home to new mattress, I had left clean bed linens out, expecting to make up the new bed when I came home, but the delivery guys spotted them and I came home to a fully made (with hospital corners on the flat sheet!) new bed. Can't say enough about how pleased I was with Sleep Country's service.

Hybrid gel/memory foam pillows, buy them in a two pack from Costco, throw them out and buy new ones every 4-6 months if you have any kind of allergies. The two pack is less than $25, slightly more than the cost of a two pack of regular pillows, and OMG are they comfortable.

One thing to know about these new memory foam/gel/whatever mattresses as opposed to a traditional plain innerspring mattresses is that "ultra-firm" is the new "firm"--and because the hybrid gel/memory foam conforms to your body, it does take some getting used to if you're like me and have always preferred not to drown in your mattress. I imagine that it's the same with the other grades of softness, as well.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:36 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

The best mattress I've slept on was a 10" high solid latex foam slab (they run around $2500). The Casper has that foam as a top layer for $950 (king) with a 100 night trial period, free UPS shipping AND free returns.

https://casper.com/mattresses + google for third-party reviews

Top layer: OPEN-CELL LATEX FOAM - Our hypoallergenic latex keeps you cool and adds just the right bounce.

Middle layer: RESPONSIVE MEMORY FOAM - High-density memory foam provides responsive support beneath the latex.

Bottom layer: 6.5" of DURABLE BASE SUPPORT FOAM - 6.5” of our base foam adds core support and long-lasting durability.

REMOVABLE WOVEN COVER

Looks like a can't-lose opportunity to see if it works for you. :wavey:

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll let the more experienced sleepers recommend materials, brands, firmness, etc.

I'll just say, one of the best things Mrs. K and I did *for us* was to buy a double bed.
Not King, Not Queen, Just Double.

We sleep in the same bed because we sleep together. We don't "sprawl" so much, so we both still have room to "get away", but it doesn't feel like we're sleeping in seperate beds... :4couple:

Also leaves more "room" in the "bedroom". thumbsup

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A friend of mine shopped extensively for mattresses. He ended up going with one from the Mattress Ranch. Apparently the same mattress as some of the name-brand memory foam, at a fraction of the price. But you have to get over the goofy storefront. If you want something more conventional, look for individually pocketed coils if you're sleeping with someone else in the bed.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:44 pm

Tempur-pedic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next