Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:09 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2754 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 184  Next
 The OFF TOPIC thread 

Rix86 wrote:
I wonder if some people ever look at what/how they post

What's literacy?

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
Rix86 wrote:
I wonder if some people ever look at what/how they post

What's literacy?

If I could read that long word, I'd probably be able to tell you what it meant.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:38 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Burn brightly my brethren and sistren. Do not allow others to place limits on your children and grandchildren... Protect those young people as you would defend yourself. Or even more strongly.

Dylan Thomas died in 1953
Quote:
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

DO MORE.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:41 am

Went to a seminar the other nite for solar panels put on by Smart Energy - it was held at one of the better restaurants here and I figured I'd learn something about pricing and enjoy a good meal. Meal turned out to be pretty awesome (Gratzies in Bothell) but was kinda disappointed by the seminar.... they talked about solar for ~15 minutes..... then all the talk was about insulation.... classic bait and switch. Couldn't get out of there without scheduling an evaluation and quote --- went ahead and agreed just to see how much it would be - they were pushing the metallized 'bubble wrap' barrier for attic and crawl space along with blown insulation along with solar powered roof vents --- I guess thats how they justified the 'solar' aspect of the presentation. After looking at the attic(s) for maybe a total of ~10 minutes and then chatting for another 5, he gave me aquote of $3600 for all the vague work and non identified materials?!?!?! THEN.... came the hard sell tactics.... man, this guy put timeshare salesman to SHAME!!! He couldn't understand why I didn't sign immediately for $3600 worth of work!!!! 16 hours earlier I was expecting to hear about solar and now he wants me to sign off on $3600 worth of insulation.... four rounds of hi pressure tactics... I told him I don't make snap $3600 decisions --- that amount of $$$ requires research.... ALOT more than just the (minimal) info he provided. He kept asking 'what do you need to research and who are you going to talk to?' --- I explained to him that my dad actually was involved with writing specs and codes for building insulation and reflective coatings at the Department of Energy... and left there to run a cellulose insulation manufacturer... and my brother is a roofer who also installed insulation in his early years... good resources for this topic. Needless to say, the salesman left kinda pissed off...

So, talked with my brother about it.... he was actually surprised that the cost was so low and seemed like a fairly good deal, but cautioned that he was sure that they would 'find' a problem that would cost $1000 more to proceed.... ok, been there done that before, and judging by the vagueness and lacking a statement of work, it seemed very likely. Then I talked with my dad --- damn the old guys really know their shit.... he put this way.... you spend $3600 to save money on your heat bills... how much can you hope to save each month during the heating season? $15-20 would be extreme and probably unlikely, but use for arguement (would equate to ~20% on my bill).... so, $20 savings X 5 heating months per year = $100 savings per year... how many years to pay back the cost of 'saving' energy? 36 YEARS!!!! Gotta love the analytical side of the old guy --- if the payback is more than 5-6 years, its really not worth it --- 36 years, hell no.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Getting old sux. Spilled salt on my eggs this morning.... ate them anyway (it didn't seem like THAT much). Hand blew up today (finger joint pain and stiffness) and can't make a fist with my right hand. We ALL know how detrimental that will be for my Friday night.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Getting old sux. Spilled salt on my eggs this morning.... ate them anyway (it didn't seem like THAT much). Hand blew up today (finger joint pain and stiffness) and can't make a fist with my right hand. We ALL know how detrimental that will be for my Friday night.

Women are safe for an evening........

......................meanwhile, jukk's left hand lives in fear.......

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:17 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Crunch time on the house...
Paint, finish electrical, flooring, stair rails, cabinets, finish plumbing, interior doors- all supposed to be within the next 6 weeks.

Will the end of this project arrive while I am still alive and kicking? I have my doubts.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dude, don't remind me...when I retire in May, this awaits me. But at least it's over a 9 month period.

May 2018 "Backyard re-grass"
May 2018 "Pressure Wash Gutters"
June 2018 Beauty bark
July 2018 Fence
Aug 2018 "paint House Trim"
Sep 2018 Pack Garage
Oct 2018 Refinish Hardwood
Sep-Nov 2017 Paint Interior
Jan 2019 "Re-tile Laundry/Pantry/Steps in garage"
Feb 2019 Clean Carpets
Feb 2019 Window cleaning
March 2019 Clean/pack attached garage
April 2019 Garage Sale
May 2019 Move

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
Dude, don't remind me...when I retire in May, this awaits me. But at least it's over a 9 month period.

May 2018 "Backyard re-grass"
May 2018 "Pressure Wash Gutters"
June 2018 Beauty bark
July 2018 Fence
Aug 2018 "paint House Trim"
Sep 2018 Pack Garage
Oct 2018 Refinish Hardwood
Sep-Nov 2017 Paint Interior
Jan 2019 "Re-tile Laundry/Pantry/Steps in garage"
Feb 2019Clean Carpets Remove carpet
Feb 2019 Window cleaning
March 2019 Clean/pack attached garage
April 2019 Garage Sale
May 2019 Move

That's it?

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's it! for a guy closer to 60 than 50, that's a workload!
The house is 20 years old.
We had the crawl space completely redone, new furnace, new waterheater installed.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
We had the crawl space completely redone, new furnace, new waterheater installed.

No shit. When I was 25, I would rebuild a complete bathroom on a weekend. Wire and drywall a whole bottom floor in 3-4 days, etc.

60 this year. Oh hell no. I need to check the oil. Honey, can you get the teflon oil, the shitter door is squeaking.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:26 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I always admire the scenery in the show Longmire. "OMG, that is so beautiful, I'd love to live there."

Then I recently watched the show Godless. Same thing: "Holy crap that's gorgeous, that's exactly where I want to be."

Yesterday I found out that both shows are filmed in New Mexico. Hmmmmm.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:59 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
I always admire the scenery in the show Longmire. "OMG, that is so beautiful, I'd love to live there."

Then I recently watched the show Godless. Same thing: "Holy crap that's gorgeous, that's exactly where I want to be."

Fact - Albuquerque has been rated the happiest and most livable area in the US for multiple years. My friend left in 2008 after selling his condo(which he owned outright) in Bellevue that he bought in 1992. He moved there as a single guy with a long distant relationship in Washington. He moved back in 2012 due to her. He loved it there.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BadKarma wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Fact - Albuquerque has been rated the happiest and most livable area in the US for multiple years. My friend left in 2008 after selling his condo(which he owned outright) in Bellevue that he bought in 1992. He moved there as a single guy with a long distant relationship in Washington. He moved back in 2012 due to her. He loved it there.

Albuquerque is a crime ridden shithole. Closer to Santa Fe is nice, the other side of Sante Fe, Espanola is a heroin infested shithole. Look up the crime stats.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Santa ... 105.937799

But yes the scenery is very nice. Awesome really. Some nice shooting spots.

Albuquerque is fooking hot beyond hot in the summer, but the elevations around Santa Fe never ever get hot. Just drier that beef jerky.

Spent hunks of time there and relatives in Santa Fe.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:

Did my crawl space last weekend, vapor barrier against the insulation and moved all the rocks on ground to the sides of foundation an laid out new plastic. No air or electric staplers either, 5k plus staples drove in with a hand stapler.
I'm fully beat an trashed, back has bruises all over, neck muscles are shot and regretting every bit of it. Even twenty years ago it would've been a decent work out, now it's just fucking sadistic abuse......
Now second guessing promising the wife remodeling the kitchen, painting entire interior and new hardwood through half the house.
The shit you have to promise to get some expensive new gun. To old for this shit....

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2754 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 184  Next