Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Console Stereos 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is nothing special, just a cheap import from the early 70's. I love them though. Cabinets, and components...back when stereos were physically built to sound good, and not just digitally "imitate" it. 15" subs, thick mids, and actual horn tweets; all wrapped in a solid wood cabinet.
Ugly as hell, but really good at annoying the neighbors. Anybody else appreciate these?

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got one passed down from my dad. I remember when he got it in probably 90-91. It wasnt the very top of the line, but from what I remember was a damn respectable unit. Its been moved way too much, and is big and an eye sore, but surr cranks out the tunes in my shop. My friends managed to hook up an aux cable to it to play their phones and such during beer pong matches or whatnot. Apparently I'm the only one in my generation still on CDs.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:24 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
I got one passed down from my dad. I remember when he got it in probably 90-91. It wasnt the very top of the line, but from what I remember was a damn respectable unit. Its been moved way too much, and is big and an eye sore, but surr cranks out the tunes in my shop. My friends managed to hook up an aux cable to it to play their phones and such during beer pong matches or whatnot. Apparently I'm the only one in my generation still on CDs.

CD's and Keystone Light...

Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All mine has is a tuner, but I do use my phone a lot.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have some old stereo equipment that was handed down from my dad....all single units...amp,equilizer,record player,cassete player and a couple of big wood speakers. I have not listened to it in years and at one point tried to sell it all but found no one into older stereo stuff :rockout:

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They seem to be making a resurgence as collectors pieces. I don't really like how much space they take up, but the sound quality can be truly spectacular. Especially if you listen to classic rock, or metal. I've considered refinishing mine, but there is a certain charm to all the scratches and blemishes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:53 am

I have a 70's sansui receiver and some really good speakers that my dad bough in the early 90's. I'm looking for some bigger speakers from the 70's to refinish, I'm thinking of doing zebra wood veneer and colored acoustic cloth on the grills.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
I have a 70's sansui receiver and some really good speakers that my dad bough in the early 90's. I'm looking for some bigger speakers from the 70's to refinish, I'm thinking of doing zebra wood veneer and colored acoustic cloth on the grills.

:cheers2:
That sounds awesome. I see 70's boxes at value village pretty often. (Great deals on toddler clothes too... :wink05: ) No idea of condition, but something decent could still be built from the cabinets. Maybe I'll look into that option myself, thanks for the idea. If you work on that, I'd love to see some before and after pics.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
Jagerbomber35 wrote:

CD's and Keystone Light...

Huh, says someone who has listened to my sweet sweet tunes, drank my Keystone Light, and played at my beer pong table. Funny, didnt hear you complaining at the time.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you like old stereo equipment you should check this place out in north seattle,

http://www.hawthornestereo.com/used/

Also you might want to talk to Jonathan Brown he's really into that stuff too, he has a thread on the TOS all about vintage audio.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 1960 Zenith console with tuner in the living room. Picked it up from an estate sale years ago. Still sounds great!

Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vinyl is making a comeback, so these consoles will be the new hipster way to play......

Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tubes or GTFO. You people and your new fangled "transistors " make me sick.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I fondly recall the wait time in my old '55 Chevy for the radio to warm up ! Not such fond memories of the vacuum windshield wipers that would crap out on an uphill run until you let off the gas for an instant !

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still have all my old '60s/70s Marantz gear. Classic stuff.

+82 positive feedback on SGN

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next