General Chit-Chat, comments etc
Post a reply

Re: ISIS takes 13 hostage in Aussi (live feed link)

Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:52 am

If KM and Rivit wan't go discuss their own stubbornness, do it elsewhere. Better yet, add them to your FOE list and never hear from them again.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:59 am

Thanks for that. This guy sounds like a piece of work....

This can't go on much longer. I don't see how one guy with a pump-action shotgun, presumably running without sleep or bathroom breaks, could sustain this if the hostages inside have any balls whatsoever.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:02 am

Rivitman wrote:
So there were very very few guns to be given up. (giving up the rights was a bigger sacrifice)
There were impediments beforehand. We have some of the same precursor impediments, especially in some states.

There were very few impediments in some states. It was a mixed bag. The NFA was a massive step, not incrementalism.

Our state pistol registry being one, and the de-facto total registry post 594.

How does a registry (which doesn't really exist right now, because no one is being charged with not having a gun registered) impede you from fighting off terrorists?

Hmm, those videos of truck sized mounds of guns being destroyed was an illusion I suppose.

The point I am making is the country was largely disarmed already by its own choice. Probably fewer than 3% of people owned guns, and those that did were farmers with long guns. There were very few sporting gun owners. This is BEFORE the NFA. Compare this to the US with 310 million guns. We are no in danger of being disarmed as a nation.

As to violent crime, Australia has seen it do noting but go up since the NFA.

I agree with that, the NFA is a bad thing.

You said it, not me. To assert I implied it is idiotic. But I will assert that lack of 'Christian terrorism' is telling.

Timothy McVeigh?
Eric Rudolph?

Spare me the ageism. Political correctness, a symptom of the disease is long standing in the British Empire. It is fairly recent here. There is actual serious effort being made to force a name change on a pro football team here. We are forced to say stupid thing's like "N-WORD" even if the word that represents is used in correct historical context. We 'celebrate' certain groups degenerate sexuality, yet do everything we can to eliminate the word 'Christmas" from the lexicon.

I'm talking about bigotry and hatred, not PC about "bad words".

You obviously think all Muslims are planning to take over the US or something. You cannot distinguish between extremists and normal people, regardless of their religion.

And it turns out this nut job, while he has a nice flag and all, is not really affiliated with any group.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:08 am

Hostage videos are appearing on Liveleak:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ea1_1418646267

Apparently there are bombs planted in the city......

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:11 am

MadPick wrote:Thanks for that. This guy sounds like a piece of work....

This can't go on much longer. I don't see how one guy with a pump-action shotgun, presumably running without sleep or bathroom breaks, could sustain this if the hostages inside have any balls whatsoever.

Well that's why I think a few of them (5 now?) have been able to run out.

The reason this is a big headline is not because they think he is a terrorist, but because it is right in downtown Sydney, which is generally crawling with police. I can't remember the last siege there.

Here is some good coverage on correcting prior reports:
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/martin-place- ... 27jsc.html

A little more on the nut job:
http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/1 ... -man-monis

Now, I know terrorists are nut jobs too, but they're also organized. This guy is affiliated with and supported by..... no one.

Back to the Australia's lack of guns, I was with another Aussie (the guy in my avatar) in Wyoming he made a great comment. He said "when you're out somewhere here, it is a comforting thought knowing a lot of people are armed and that if someone steps out of line that is going to be corrected."

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:35 am

"Siege is over: police

NSW Police have confirmed the siege is over.

Shots have been fired, but police will not confirm details of injuries or casualties."

Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:46 am

1 police officer injured, 4 hostages on stretchers, 2 people needing CPR is as much as I've been able to glean from the Twitterverse.
Probably not accurate either.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:40 am

ANZAC wrote:Back to the Australia's lack of guns, I was with another Aussie (the guy in my avatar) in Wyoming he made a great comment. He said "when you're out somewhere here, it is a comforting thought knowing a lot of people are armed and that if someone steps out of line that is going to be corrected."

You were with Robert Taylor? You know him? Seriously? Really? I LOVE Longmire! Best show in a long time. The character is so "old West" and Taylor plays it perfectly. He is da bomb! :inlove:

How much filming do they do in Wyoming? I read most of it was actually filmed in New Mexico.

err, ah...yeah...let me step back from my acting-like-a-teenager-with-a-crush episode...sorry about that...

Back to your regularly scheduled bitchin' and arguin' about people control and religion.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:49 am

Kode wrote:
ANZAC wrote:Back to the Australia's lack of guns, I was with another Aussie (the guy in my avatar) in Wyoming he made a great comment. He said "when you're out somewhere here, it is a comforting thought knowing a lot of people are armed and that if someone steps out of line that is going to be corrected."

You were with Robert Taylor? You know him? Seriously? Really? I LOVE Longmire! Best show in a long time. The character is so "old West" and Taylor plays it perfectly. He is da bomb! :inlove:

He's a good guy. We're the same age, similar upbringing, although he spent a lot of time in Western Australia where my mother grew up.
I'm a little taller and fatter than him. He's a pretty good shot with a shotgun (clays). The interesting thing is he uses his American accent all the time while on American soil even when not filming, but uses his Aussie accent at home. He lives in Melbourne but has a place at Bondi Beach in Sydney.
But it is funny talking with him because he'll use Australian words with an American accent (like me).

We're not in regular contact, he's just terrible with email. In fact he's just like Walt, he still uses a flip phone.

How much filming do they do in Wyoming? I read most of it was actually filmed in New Mexico.

They film in NM - studios are in Santa Fe but they go all over. He was in Wyoming for a promotional thing.
Craig Johnson (the author of the books) is a good guy too and his wife Judy is great.

News is now reporting 2 dead in Sydney. I assume one is the nut job.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:55 am

L_O_G wrote:Hostage videos are appearing on Liveleak:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ea1_1418646267

Apparently there are bombs planted in the city......

No bombs, stop believing the media.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:02 am

Rivitman wrote:Islam, on the other hand, is evil from the outset. It is evil from top to bottom and shot through completely with evil.

Here is how Aussies respond to people like you who can't distinguish between a few bad people and a religion:

http://mic.com/articles/106442/australi ... e-with-you

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:26 am

ANZAC wrote:
Rivitman wrote:Islam, on the other hand, is evil from the outset. It is evil from top to bottom and shot through completely with evil.

Here is how Aussies respond to people like you who can't distinguish between a few bad people and a religion:

http://mic.com/articles/106442/australi ... e-with-you

Awww, isn't that nice. Do it with a smile, mate. I doubt all muslims are crazies with dreams of suicide vests and virgins in the afterlife. But that doesn't mean I trust them farther than I can throw them. I do believe a lot of them are subversive towards Western culture in general, and I question why it is so important for them to be amongst us if they feel we are so backwards and subservient to them.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:39 am

waglocker wrote: I do believe a lot of them are subversive towards Western culture in general, and I question why it is so important for them to be amongst us if they feel we are so backwards and subservient to them.

Do you really think most Muslims think that?

99% of them are here (and in Australia) to make a living, feed their families and in some cases escape oppression.
Have you spoken with one? Or two?

I can distinguish between the Christians down the street at the church, and Timothy McVeigh, the Westboro Baptist Church etc.

The bigotry already displayed in this thread is astounding. I understand it if you were born in the 20's or early. My mother talks the same way, it was how she was brought up.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:09 am

One or two?

Actually, quite a few, with a rifle in my hands in their own country. Maybe that taints my view to the acceptable liberal view on life, but IDGAF. They seemed arrogant and smug , just like the liberals here in the U.S. that are content labeling right-sided people as gun owning nut jobs who worship an ancient document known as the Constitution.

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:56 am

waglocker wrote:One or two?

Actually, quite a few, with a rifle in my hands in their own country. Maybe that taints my view to the acceptable liberal view on life, but IDGAF. They seemed arrogant and smug , just like the liberals here in the U.S. that are content labeling right-sided people as gun owning nut jobs who worship an ancient document known as the Constitution.

Did they say they wanted to move to the US? Which country were you in?

Do you think they related to you in a different way because you were wearing a uniform?

(and thanks for your service)
Post a reply