Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:35 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Road trip route recommendation please 

Going to Cannon Beach, OR soon, I see on Google maps that I can either take 101-S or I-5 S then cut over west via US-30 W. I'll have my wife and puppy with me, puppy is almost a year old but has never been on any long trips so I'll prefer a route to have good dog friendly places to stop for coffee and food.

Any recommendation which of these route will be better? From Google maps it seems that the I-5 S / US-30 W route will have me pass through more strip malls, would that be your recommendation?

Thanks.

Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Others may have more info. But there will be more rest stops along I-5 and those are usually pet friendly.
You might also want to ask this question of the forum to the south of us. They have many more from Oregon as here at waguns we are primarily Washington.

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:57 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd take 101. A lot more scenic. Quite a few spots to pull off the road and stretch...

If you want to take your time, go 101. If you just want to 'get there', take I5.

Astoria is a great stop... IMO..

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

101 for sure. Mellower drive

Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

101 is not only more scenic and calmer, it's usually faster. Only reason to take I5 is if you want rest stops.

Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take 30 to 202, 103, 26 and then stop at Camp 18 for lunch. Its a Logging/camp museum and the fallen loggers memorial. Awesome place to kill a little time, eat and walk the dog.
Its 20 miles before seaside. Awesome drive and beautiful scenery.

https://www.discoverourcoast.com/coast- ... cd54c.html

Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:52 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

You could always sing by the Air Museum if youve never seen Hughes Spruce Goose...

lots of good cool aircraft there...

in McMinnville

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

101 wa is not scenic, just trees. I-5 to longview and cross over many strip malls along the way to astoria. stop at the totem on the top of the hill. fort stevens walk the beach too. then on down to cannon plenty of places to stop and see.

as old growth mention camp 18 and as old jim mention spruce goose is cool in mcminnville

can always cross the astpria an hit hey 4 back to longview

Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:19 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, appreciate it. Really looking forward to the trip.

Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:59 pm

Cannon Beach is a tourist pit. Arch Cape is much better. There is an Oregon State park a couple miles South of Arch Cape that has camping and a nice beach and is a local surf hang out. You will want to spend a day at the Tillimuck Air Museum and a few hours at the cheese factory and who could pass on chowder?

Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hartcreek wrote:
Cannon Beach is a tourist pit. Arch Cape is much better. There is an Oregon State park a couple miles South of Arch Cape that has camping and a nice beach and is a local surf hang out. You will want to spend a day at the Tillimuck Air Museum and a few hours at the cheese factory and who could pass on chowder?
Had to look it up, hadn't heard of Arch Cape, but they list Hug Point on their website and the beach at Hug Point is, IMO, a must-visit if you're down that way.

Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:37 pm

hartcreek wrote:

This is cool information, many thanks for it. I've not heard of Arch Cape before but after the above post I went and looked it up, looks like a very nice place. I don't think wife will like to stay there, she's more of a tourist pit type of person who enjoys shopping and dinning at tourist type locations, but Arch Cape is close enough to Cannon Beach so we can head there to check it out.

Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:15 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Air Museum and Tilamook cheese HQ tour are musts.

Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:08 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]