Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:00 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Windows. WTF Msft? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This could be white paper in length, but I will just go with the WTF part (but much longer..so OK, it is a white paper if you want to get picky) :bigsmile: .

Is there some reason they could not produce a Windows "Clean" version as their next version? I would be glad to pay you $25 USD for each license per year for it. You know based on the normal (for most of us) productivity based best features of Windows, without all the BS media crap and the need to click three times or so to do the same functions as I could do in Windows Workgroup 3.1 from back in 1995.

I work as a contractor from home, so everything is remote, but I insisted on using Windows 7 and not 10. I told them if I had to use 10, find another guy. I guess being around for 20 years has its benefits. IT has been pretty good about making my stuff work (so far).

Since Msft insists on making their software more friendly to pushing media instead of being what made them great in the first place, which was productivity, Why would any business continue using Windows when their push is to distract the employee from doing their primary task which I pay them for? I am not the one to play Willie the whip, but does that sound like a good business decision?

Windows 10 is exactly the OS I want on my college students computer. You know the one that is working on real STEM degree not a MS sponsored mouse shoving degree. Unfortunately that is all there is, and Apple will get into my wallet when 2A doesn't work (said in jest....sorta).

So, to the immediate issue. Windows 7 SP1 with updates. "Worked" perfect, no gripes. Updates last week wiped out the update ability, access to to any restore points, and access to some of the "computer system" files SLUI.EXE both 3 and 4.

Rebuilt machine. Intel I-7 gen 6 not 7. MSI Z270 Carbon. 2 x Samsung 250gb ssd. New PS. Installed Win 7x64 with BIOS set for Windows 7 Install. I know you can't do a Gen 7 CPU with Win 7, but you can do a Gen 6 with Win 7 which I did. Push activate on connection with valid key. Nope. Now on a fresh install, you can't activate and have the 3 day timer. I spent about an hour with TS in India and none of the normal SLUI functions work so I now have a activation time bomb on my hands. They have me scheduled for two hours tomorrow morning (I doubt I will get paid for it) for their super gurus to get on it. They have validated my key and they have no idea why it is not working.

Hey MS, stop fucking with it. I will pay you 25 dollars USD per year if you would just do the upkeep. I would send you picture a of my ass against the downtown Seattle trash laden street view for a visual of my my butt hurt feelings, but I don't have Windows 10 with the dumb fuck Hot Key installed yet (thank God).

Last edited by skey on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do not go gentle into that good night.....

-Dylan Thomas

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, no shit. Put that quote in the cloud for the next bug that is discovered 3 years after the fact.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just use an activation hack. BOOOM. permanently registered...

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:

It's his job. Has to be legit. If not legit and he gets caught, it's a bigger deal than it is for average Joe.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

It's his job. Has to be legit. If not legit and he gets caught, it's a bigger deal than it is for average Joe.

I havent used any bogus software or key hackers in about 40 years around computers. I am not going start now nor should I have to. Msft screwed up my license, and they are going to fix it.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:52 am

The quality of Microsoft products has steadily declined with the increase of H1B coders and designers and the ingress of leadership roles of non-Western educated Indians within the company, especially Nadella.

Microsoft products have turned into the Tata of business software.

This is now the thought process behind the design and implementation of Windows 10, Cortana, Office 365, etc.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

skey wrote:
I havent used any bogus software or key hackers in about 40 years around computers. I am not going start now nor should I have to. Msft screwed up my license, and they are going to fix it.

Good luck with that. Microsoft had no record of my Office 2010 license I registered and purchased online from Microsoft. I finally had to use a keyfinder on a second machine to get my registration key.

I have Windows 7 on my main support PC, and Windows 10 on my secondary.

Building a Win 7 machine on new hardware is a pain in the ass. I had to create a boot drive with USB 3 drivers (and various other drivers) slipstreamed into the image, and the Win 10 bootloader. Unless you have old hardware, Windows 7 is very hard to install on new hardware.

I feel your pain...Windows 10, Server 2012, Server 2016 all drive me nuts to support from a usability perspective.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wish I had these issues. I put the disk in and everything works.

other than windows 10 auto updates you cant turn off it runs great

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:23 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

First thing I do to a Win 10, server 2012, server 2016 machine is add classic shell.
I like all of my menus and settings to be where they are supposed to be.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
First thing I do to a Win 10, server 2012, server 2016 machine is add classic shell.
I like all of my menus and settings to be where they are supposed to be.

I actually run classic shell with Win 7 but I just read an article that the writer is getting out of it and doing some other stuff, so it will be interesting to see if anyone picks up the mantle and carries on.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mmalleck wrote:
skey wrote:

Good luck with that. Microsoft had no record of my Office 2010 license I registered and purchased online from Microsoft. I finally had to use a keyfinder on a second machine to get my registration key.

I have Windows 7 on my main support PC, and Windows 10 on my secondary.

Building a Win 7 machine on new hardware is a pain in the ass. I had to create a boot drive with USB 3 drivers (and various other drivers) slipstreamed into the image, and the Win 10 bootloader. Unless you have old hardware, Windows 7 is very hard to install on new hardware.

I feel your pain...Windows 10, Server 2012, Server 2016 all drive me nuts to support from a usability perspective.

They have a record of my key and I know it. They looked it up and it is all good. Same with my Office so no key problems. The OS is just dicked up some how.

The only real problems I know of hardware wise is the desire to do the USB installation with the driver headache, and 7th Gen Intel processors are not supported in Win 7 on the GPU side of things. I believe you can just install a external PCI E Video Card to overcome that from what I hear.

I strategically picked out my hardware and the installation went just as planned from the CD as usual. After MS doesn't call, I am going to wipe the drive and start with a fresh installation and activate it as soon as I get the network drivers installed this time around. The worst that can happen is it still doesn't work. I could understand hardware conflict or incompatibility issue. I do not understand the OS not performing a pretty fundamental validation.

By the way the MSI Z270 board has a setting in the bios for Windows 10 / X or Windows 7 and I have not read anything, anywhere about anyone having this issue. I certainly found plenty about people getting the last round of updates that wiped out access to restore points, update history, updates, etc. My old hardware was earlier MSI mainboard with an AMD A8 processor. I believe there was some undocumented changes over the A8 production cycle and they gave bogus information to MS. That could possibly explain why some computers had these issues after the updates (just guessing).

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes when I hear you guys talking about all your new hardware, I feel back about my 15 year old stuff.

Other times, like now, I am just as happy, thank you very much, with my old hardware, and linux mint OS.

:bigsmile:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
Sometimes when I hear you guys talking about all your new hardware, I feel back about my 15 year old stuff.

Other times, like now, I am just as happy, thank you very much, with my old hardware, and linux mint OS.

:bigsmile:

I hear you. I wish I could do what I needed to in DOS. At least I told it what to do and it did it without giving me any suggestions. It was like being single. :thumbsup2:

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like all the newer MS stuff has the same virus we had to deal with through the 90's...

"setup.exe"

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next