Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Life Imprisonment cheaper than Death Penalty? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:
Guntrader wrote:
Can't 'rehabilitate' someone unless they want to change.

:plusone:

We already have a system for determining whether a convict has been rehabilitated. It's called parole, and it's deeply flawed as evidenced by recidivism rates.

Do away with plea deals and sentencing leniency. Mandate harsh punishments by law, and don't let prosecutors or judges wiggle around them. You'll still have violent crime, but you'll have fewer repeat offenders, which means fewer total crimes committed (in theory).

And for those who have received "harsh punisment(long sentences) and are then released, the next conviction receives an even longer sentence. For those who are slow learners three strikes for all violent felonies armed robbery, armed assault, any homicide, it's pretty much a given that those who repeat are never going to get the message. After the first conviction and completed sentence, from there any subsequent incarceration is "Super-Max" style. 23 hours in a cell and an hour a day outside. No mixing with other inmates, no gang affiliations, no 'programs', just plain old incarceration. Give them paperbacks, crayola's, and whatever but they got their chance the first time around to be "rehabilitated".

In this State there's lots of land on the East side of the mountains to build a Super-Max prison just like the one in Florence, CO. A place nobody wants to end up so that alone may get through the thick skulls of most offenders that they get their shit straight their first time in prison or they get to go to a far worse place.

There are lots of places we could build a Devils Island type prison too. Up in the Aleutians with the cold weather and colder seas would get my vote.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

vic_b wrote:
There are lots of places we could build a Devils Island type prison too. Up in the Aleutians with the cold weather and colder seas would get my vote.

The problem with a "Devil's Island" solution is logistics. Transportation costs of support materials (food, fuel, etc) would be terrible not to mention finding enough employees willing to live on the island to "guard" the inmates.

Take a few hundred acres of land that's not suitable for farming in E. WA but is close enough to a town that employees could live in. Move them back and forth with regular employee bus service. Same program with some of the wide open spaces in Nevada that's owned by the Government. Maybe some of the old atomic test sites that are still radioactive and might shorten the lives of those the bleeding hearts won't let society execute.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:42 pm

Alpine wrote:
And in almost all cases who appoints the bureaucracy which helps with the prosecution or in some cases of recess/retirement of prosecutors, DOES the entire prosecution? Who appoints appellate judges who might fix things that went wrong?

We'd be putting our lives into Jay Inslee's hands. Who here is comfortable with that?

No we wouldn't he stopped all executions, now it's life without parole

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
vic_b wrote:

The problem with a "Devil's Island" solution is logistics. Transportation costs of support materials (food, fuel, etc) would be terrible not to mention finding enough employees willing to live on the island to "guard" the inmates.

Take a few hundred acres of land that's not suitable for farming in E. WA but is close enough to a town that employees could live in. Move them back and forth with regular employee bus service. Same program with some of the wide open spaces in Nevada that's owned by the Government. Maybe some of the old atomic test sites that are still radioactive and might shorten the lives of those the bleeding hearts won't let society execute.

Who said anything about feeding them anything beyond survival rations? Guards? That might be a problem. Turnkeys maybe? Let them guard themselves. As you might notice, I have very little sympathy for criminals.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
I'd also mention that people shouldn't be released until they are rehabilitated and won't commit further crimes.

+1000

instead of prison just being a warehouse of criminals, make them get some mental and societal rehab and the ones that can't be rehabilitated....don't get out... period.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:03 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's another idea. Take a decommissioned missile silo, put in wire floors like a rabbit hutch. No bathrooms. Worst offenders go on the bottom. As you show rehabilitation you can move up floors.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3