Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:12 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 USS Indianapolis wreckage located 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/19/us/uss-indianapolis-wreckage-found/index.html

The men who were lucky enough to survive the Japanese torpedo attack went through tortured hell, in doing so. Eternal respect to one and all who served and all who serve currently. :patriot:

"We delivered the bomb"...
Quint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HYxqOqkSsY

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read the book, In Harms Way while deployed to Iraq in 2014. Its an incredible story. The Captain of the Indianapolis, Charles McVay, was the only U.S. Navy captain to receive a court martial for losing his vessel to enemy action. Although he was later cleared of wrongdoing and retired from the Navy, the incident weighed heavily on him for the rest of his life. It didn't help that some of the families of sailors lost in the incident would send him "greeting cards" during holiday season with horrible messages, blaming him for the death of their loved ones. Admiral McVay eventually committed suicide at the age of 70, using his service issued pistol.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/19/lo ... -crew.html

USA Today also has some pretty good pictures: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 583334001/

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have streampix with your comcast service there is a documentary and they talk to many of the survivors.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:55 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

My uncle survived being torpedoed three times in WW II and he was in the Army! (troop ships).
He took the ferry to Mackinac Island with us in the 70's, but don't recall him being into boats.

I read some of my dad's sea story books about people being torpedoed in WW I and II.
Men blown apart, men trapped inside a sinking ship, burning fuel in the water, sounded like Hell.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My only input is to avoid the movie with the same name, Indianapolis with Nick Cage. A big sticking turd of a film.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nick Cage is the key word here.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:37 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I think the last thing I liked Nick Cage in was Raising Arizona back in the 80's.
Different ship entirely.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Olympia173 wrote:
I read the book, In Harms Way while deployed to Iraq in 2014. Its an incredible story. The Captain of the Indianapolis, Charles McVay, was the only U.S. Navy captain to receive a court martial for losing his vessel to enemy action. Although he was later cleared of wrongdoing and retired from the Navy, the incident weighed heavily on him for the rest of his life. It didn't help that some of the families of sailors lost in the incident would send him "greeting cards" during holiday season with horrible messages, blaming him for the death of their loved ones. Admiral McVay eventually committed suicide at the age of 70, using his service issued pistol.

^^^ This x1000. Doug Stanton's book can't be oversold -- it's a genius combination of outstanding research and outstanding writing built around an extraordinary event. Even if you're only occasionally inclined to read nonfiction, In Harm's Way should be on your list.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but do we let paul allen finger fuck everything. or just leave it be and honor the men who died?

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are very strict laws that will prevent anyone from doing anything sacrilegious to it. The story of this tragedy is intense.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
There are very strict laws that will prevent anyone from doing anything sacrilegious to it. The story of this tragedy is intense.

This.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:

This.

:plusone:

The important thing is that these are maritime grave sites and should not be disturbed in any way. Much like the USS Arizona and countless other wrecks from the US, British, Dutch, German, Russian, and Japanese navies, the soldiers who died in these vessels should be allowed to rest in eternal peace.

The UK passed the Protection of Military Remains Act of 1986 and the US passed the Sunken Military Craft Act of 2004 to protect wartime wrecks. Most wrecks are effectively protected by virtue of their great depth but plundering and scrapping do occur.

Most recently press coverage was given to the virtual disappearance of several British WWII wrecks in Indonesia resulting from surface action with the IJN early in the war. The HMS Exeter and HMS Encounter have been almost completely plundered for scrap metal along with several vessels of the Dutch navy of the same time period.
https://www.livescience.com/56965-wwii-shipwrecks-vanish-after-illegal-plundering.html

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
I think the last thing I liked Nick Cage in was Raising Arizona back in the 80's.
Different ship entirely.

Lords of War..

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Pablo wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:

This.

:plusone:

The important thing is that these are maritime grave sites and should not be disturbed in any way. Much like the USS Arizona and countless other wrecks from the US, British, Dutch, German, Russian, and Japanese navies, the soldiers who died in these vessels should be allowed to rest in eternal peace.

The UK passed the Protection of Military Remains Act of 1986 and the US passed the Sunken Military Craft Act of 2004 to protect wartime wrecks. Most wrecks are effectively protected by virtue of their great depth but plundering and scrapping do occur.

Most recently press coverage was given to the virtual disappearance of several British WWII wrecks in Indonesia resulting from surface action with the IJN early in the war. The HMS Exeter and HMS Encounter have been almost completely plundered for scrap metal along with several vessels of the Dutch navy of the same time period.
https://www.livescience.com/56965-wwii-shipwrecks-vanish-after-illegal-plundering.html

I think the fact it is at about 18,000 ft underwater will be a pretty good deterrent.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next