Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:50 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 WTF is that. Grabbed gun and responded to house alarm------ 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last night after I'd headed up to watch some TV in the bedroom and get ready to go to sleep suddenly my alarm goes off. Grabbed my pistol and got ready to meet whoever had just broken in.

All I could hear was the siren going off and eventually the Alarm Company operator asking me if everything is OK. No open doors, no broken windows, just my fat-assed Main Coon cat looking me with that WTF is going on look.

The operator told me that there was an alarm triggered by the "Glass Break" detector. All windows were intact and nothing lying on the floor so I figured just a defective sensor. Cleared with the operator and reset the alarm. Went back up to relax.

About 2 hours later same thing. An alarm, operator calling me through the alarm control panel, nothing wrong, glass break sensor trigger. This time I turned off the glass break sensor and eventually went to sleep. This AM I checked the alarm system for "Activity" and found several more "glass break closed" events.

Could not for the life of me figure out what was going on and system diagnosis showed the sensor was good.

Later, while sitting and watching TV it sounded like someone had set off a small firecracker behind me. Now I know what it was.

With the warmer weather I have been keeping my AC on and the patio door closed. When the cat and dog go in or out flies come in. Pissed me off and I got tired of chasing them a fly swatter so I bought a "Redneck Flatscreen" also known as a Bug Zapper. One of the indoor models that can sit on the counter, hang from the ceiling, etc with two UV tubes behind the 2700V charged grid. Apparently I collected a couple of flies and a half dozen mosquito's overnight and they were dispatched by mini-lighting bolts. Apparently at just the right frequency to set off the alarm.

Note to self, get all the flies during the day and shut of the 'zapper' at night :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:16 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I'd think the yowl of a Maine Coon could set off a glass break detector.

When my sister lived in Maine, they had to dump the bug zapper almost every day with all the black flies.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

5 or so years ago I awoke at 2am to a smashing window/glass. Did the routine. Armed myself, phone ready, waiting for more noise and finally went to investigation hearing nothing else. Something fell and busted a window.

Makes you realize how you're at a disadvantage playing defense awoken from a sleep.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
I'd think the yowl of a Maine Coon could set off a glass break detector.

When my sister lived in Maine, they had to dump the bug zapper almost every day with all the black flies.

My Maine Coon is super mellow. No yowling at all. Walks around with her shoulder's humped up and a deep almost growl. Deeper than a purr and I can hear it half-way across the room. Will get on the bed at night and lay next to my head. THEN it purrs and it sounds like an idling engine. :bigsmile:

Cat is twice the size of my Shih-Tsu but they're best of bud's. In the afternoon they share the mat just inside the sliding patio door for a nap. :4couple:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got two sensors in my house that eat batteries. They go out about once a month. alarm company cries me a river when I complain. Had 1/2 dozen false alarms over two years.

Contracts up next month.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:21 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

We had plenty of false alarms at our Bellevue house.
Mostly cats and mother in law who couldn't figure out how to work the alarm when we were on vacation.
Dispatchers got to know her well.

Alarm contract was zero/mo.; Our corporate office bought out the alarm company and I was a regional manager so they really couldn't/didn't bitch.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dont pay for the hassle of false security.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That bug zapper sounds kind of nasty, using it indoors. Doesn't it broadcast bug parts when they get zapped?

Maybe you need one of these?:

http://komonews.com/news/offbeat/chinese-parents-alarmed-by-miniature-crossbow-craze

it doubles as home defense!

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:21 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Funny story in hindsight, deadshot2 . . . but I bet your heart rate hit some near-record levels. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]