Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:45 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 594 at the Range with Friends and Family 

I'm thinking about taking a small group shooting over Christmas break with my guns. Serious question: Is this what I need to do to comply with 594?

- For each adult child or non-family member I need to get an FFL check for each gun, paying FFL fee and use tax (if I can't prove tax was paid)
- Spouse and minor children don't need to do this but grandchildren, niece/nephew, brother etc do.

- Does this really have to be each person and each gun?
- Do I have to then FFL transfer each gun back to me?

- Failure to do the above is a felony or gross misdemeanor for everyone involved?

Not trying to start a political debate. Just a serious question about taking a group shooting as I have in previous years. Sounds like this tradition can't happen anymore...

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would call the Range and ask if they are enforcing 594.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Organized" ranges are exempt

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:24 am

kf7mjf wrote:

Thanks, though my understanding is that this is only for firearms which are kept at the range at all times (i.e. rentals etc).

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:52 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fury wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:

Thanks, though my understanding is that this is only for firearms which are kept at the range at all times (i.e. rentals etc).

You need to decide how YOU are going to interpret 594. Yes, one interpretation is that the exemption is only for rentals, etc. Another interpretation is that the exemption means that you and your friends/family pass the guns back and forth while at the approved range, but then the original owner takes each gun home.

If you go with the former interpretation, then yes, the procedure you outlined is pretty much true. Every time you hand the gun back and forth, you'll have to do all of that . . . which is of course totally impossible, since you can't bring an FFL to the range to do the background checks.

Regardless of what I think 594 *really* says, I feel totally comfortable going to the range and handing guns back and forth.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

F*ck it. Do not comply. that is my recommendation. It's not like you are selling at a gun show without a background check , from an online add or anything like that.... Just my take on it. I am not going to let some BS like 594 keep me from going shooting with friends and family. Brian

Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:44 pm

It is all f**ked ,I have my own gun range at my home, not a formal or licensed range, but I'm a FFL-03. so if my girl friend comes over to shoot my 22, as I understand it would be a felony on both of us. she doesn't live here.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sparkeee1978 wrote:
F*ck it. Do not comply.

Exactly. If the range enforces it, or tries to, tell them to go fuck themselves and go somewhere else. What is the range going to do, write you a ticket?

Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:54 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I went shooting at a local indoor range with my cousin this morning. All the guns were mine. No one asked. No one cared. 594 was never an issue there.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DGM33 wrote:
I went shooting at a local indoor range with my cousin this morning. All the guns were mine. No one asked. No one cared. 594 was never an issue there.

Yet another example of the sky not falling. The range exemption really doesn't need overthinking. I believe it is ok to share guns there, providing they leave the range with their original owners. If you want to be more conservative in your interpretation than that, well that's up to you.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, if you were a prosecuting attorney, then we might care what you have to say. Brian

Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pwned^

Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/12/19/a-month- ... nforce-it/

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sparkeee1978 wrote:
Well, if you were a prosecuting attorney, then we might care what you have to say. Brian

They can't give legal advice. Your lawyer can.

Ironically I just had a deputy prosecuting attorney (not King county) email ME for some (unrelated to 594) legal training materials.
I kid you not.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just my guess, but as long as you "maintain control" ie keep the firearm within reach and /or sight, there has not been a "Transfer"

I Believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies."
William Tyler Page 1917

Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next