General Chit-Chat, comments etc
Post a reply

Possible cannibal CME incoming…

Thu May 09, 2024 5:07 pm

https://youtu.be/g8tMmg6jHak?feature=shared

https://spaceweather.com/

Four X class solar flares this week, with accompanying coronal mass ejections due to hit starting Friday night.

Re: Possible cannibal CME incoming…

Thu May 09, 2024 7:20 pm

Hell yeah look for auroras tonight.

Thu May 09, 2024 10:46 pm

Hf bands should be fun..

Fri May 10, 2024 7:22 am

Wish I had a rig to find out!

No auroras to report.

Fri May 10, 2024 8:16 pm

Make sure you go look tonight!!!!!!!
I got texts from my brother in Arkansas saying they were pretty good..... a buddy back up in Minnesota said they were spectacular --- reds, greens blues.....

Sun just setting behind the mountains now..... I'll be heading out in ~an hour to look --- come back and take a shower --- and hopefully go back out some time ! midnight to see......

Fri May 10, 2024 10:09 pm

THEIR OUT!!! moving ever so slow

Fri May 10, 2024 11:56 pm

I saw it 2O+ years ago, and it looked like search lights 3O miles north, i was also 1O miles out of town and didnt expect them, but this is wild compared, bright lights on all sides, and seem to come togather directly above and im in town.

Sat May 11, 2024 7:06 am

Un. Fucking. Real.

Truly amazing. Was out last night, saw it. Was on the radio with other folks in other places seeing similar.

Saw it come and go. Reds, blues, light greens.....big streaks like spotlights from beyond the horizon, grey-greenish blast directly overhead, and it wafted and changed through the night.

First time in my life I've ever seen them with my own eyes. Pretty awesome display.

One of the guys on the Olycomm3 repeater had spent time up north, and gave a perspective of comparison. Just a great experience overall.

Sat May 11, 2024 7:27 am

Inside Mount Vernon city limits. Was amazing. Hopefully it's on again tonight, I'm going up river to get better darkness.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat May 11, 2024 9:19 am

I have to say --- the NLs were pretty spectacular last night!!!
Not the 'dancing waves of color' that I was used to seeing up in MN --- more 'radiant beam like' --- wondering if thats was caused by MASS ejections vs normal 'low capacity' ones....
I didn't see a whole lot of color changing -- I think there was too much light pollution -- but it was there and it was impressive how bright they were with so much of it! I think the cellfone cameras were adding more color to them than what was really there.

Definitely heading back out again tonight!
Last edited by JohnMBrowning on Sat May 11, 2024 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 11, 2024 9:20 am

I heard from a guy in your AO on the Olycomm 3 GMRS repeater. His signal wasn't great, but he was seein' what I was seein'.

Sat May 11, 2024 12:14 pm

Last night was the first time I've ever seen them, except maybe some hard to discern stuff way down low on the horizon. Last night it was directly overhead in Duvall, and it was glorious.

Using my Pixel 6a and the default camera on "Night view", here's a couple of my favorite photos from the night. If you're a FB friend, go check out the rest of the photos I uploaded.:

https://www.facebook.com/david.gonsalve ... &ref=notif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat May 11, 2024 1:44 pm

I find it odd that they put out a 'Special WEATHER Statement' yesterday and today.....

Screenshot 2024-05-11 144003.jpg

And even odder that certain areas are subject to 'higher severity'..... How the hell can they KNOW that????? I don't see any rhyme or reason to it.... Strange that the area just south of the Texas border is "EXTREME".

Screenshot 2024-05-11 143817.jpg

Sun May 12, 2024 4:32 am

Meanwhile, on the Flathead river looking north toward Polson (our closest city)

Sun May 12, 2024 4:46 am

I'm bummed.
Unless I needed to be further out in the sticks, I saw nothing.
Last night was very clear also.
Post a reply