Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Education forum needed 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
Which youtube video and channel? I'm sure there are lots that are great, and lots that are terrible. Can you help differentiate them?

Yes, there are "lots" of stuff on youtube...

Which channel is right for you? Depends again on what platform (rifle, shotgun, pistol) or mix and what fits you?

Are you... tacticool - do you want to run around in the latest military gear with vest and body armor and helmet (wannabe)... sorry.
Or are you looking for competition?
Or self defense?
Or just an Olympic champion or plinker?

So many levels and perspectives and Yes, so many channels...

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
How to become a better shot.

Do most people just learn from their father and think he is the end-all be-all of shooting? I'd like to learn from olympic champions and digest their lessons. Learn from the best of the best, and maybe oneday I can hope to be 1/10th of what they are.

So this is a good question. And it sounds like you were not raised in firearms?

I'm pretty much self taught. I have some "formal" training from the military, etc and some other stuff. But mostly, for me I'm self taught. This is coming from someone whos father was in the military for 20 years, etc, etc but he lost the taste of firearms (several tours of duty in Vietnam and others)... so I can understand his point of view (now as an adult).

I became an instructor specifically for that need to teach others (lessons learned, etc). And I am fortunate to have hosted many shooting things in my past.

Now, your statement is mixed. If you want to learn to shoot like an Olympic Champion... are you looking to shoot like an Olympic Champion? I mean if you are looking to shoot like "someone" not every skill set is transferrable...

Take someone that is a champion rifle shooter - does that translate into them being automatically a champion handgun shooter? Doesn't mean they can't but it also doesn't mean they are.

I illustrate this - If you think the military trains the average soldier to shoot a pistol... you would be wrong. They teach on the platform they are issued and that is a "battle rifle" not a pistol. So just because someone has military experience... does not mean they can shoot a pistol (well).

FYI: I was issued a 1911 and carried with lots of love... but let me tell you I was trained on an M16 (aka M4) type rifle.

The "new world" is newer. Most folks don't have friends or family that are familiar enough to train. They may shoot but that doesn't make them a teacher. They can surely teach bad habits...

But this is truly a new dawn. Firearms are in HUGE demand and more and more people are buying them... for many reasons... just look on TV to find some of those reasons.

Where to start? Are you a "newbie" or looking to shoot better.

It's a slow process... and there are tons of info - here on WaGuns and all over.

So this is your thread (OP)... what is your shooting experience and what are you looking to shoot better?
We have lots of people willing to help.

The last thing I would say... it's free and you need to take everyone's advice with a "grain of salt" - see where they are coming from and does it make sense to you?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
. . . but I've sure learned a lot over the years from the internet.
The one on blasting your own chronometer was a keeper. :bigsmile: You know I am only kidding.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:28 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I didn't read any of the posts as indicating that a student can learn all that he needs from books or online.

I personally have learned a LOT from books and internet, and I have encouraged my previous students to check out some of my favorites. Supplemental information... And I'd bet that there are some pretty sharp cookies who have learned almost entirely from the internet.

There are millions of resources, and most of them are good, if not complete. I'm not encouraging internet only learning- but it could be done with the right student.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:34 pm

My dad taught me at young age about firearms.

Didn't they have shooting stuff in schools years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jammer Six wrote:
Okay. Unless you're claiming you learned off the internet, I'm not sure what your point is.

If you didn't learn off the internet, I'd bet someone taught you. I'm not arguing that it has to be a professional instructor to teach you, I'm arguing that it shouldn't happen over the internet. (And, therefore, through this board.)

I'm kind of "pre internet"

And the emerging technology that to this day... is mind blowing!

If your stance is one "should not..."
I would say - wake up and open your eyes.
People don't need your permission (as it's happening, yesterday, today and onto the future).

People learn... it's information... It can be a double edged...
But the reality is it's happening, regardless of what you may say or feel.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

APA wrote:

Now you are "dating" yourself... Yes, back in the late 50's and early 60's and before.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:50 pm

oldkim wrote:
APA wrote:

Now you are "dating" yourself... Yes, back in the late 50's and early 60's and before.

Lol, shit I just turned 40 last Sunday

Did they back then have this crazy gun killings like today? Just curious about why they don't do it anymore. I would think people would respect the power of a gun a lot better then some BS movie they watch or video games

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

APA wrote:
...Did they back then have this crazy gun killings like today? Just curious about why they don't do it anymore.

So many social shifts...

Yes, there were "mass shootings" in every decade and every year... in every part of the US and the World...
If you do the research and use modern definition of mass shooting... It's not new.

It was less frequent and that should be the real question... why is it more frequent to some degree?

Hunter education, gun safety... MENTAL HEALTH...
Law suits...

Shoot back in the day... someone would come along and beat the shit out of you... not even a family member.

Now, they may sit you down and make you color a drawing and tell you how bad others are.

As for why they don't teach shooting at school.
LIABILTY

But look at the world we are living in now... :facepalm2:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fak ... lls-n28481

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
Jammer Six wrote:
Okay. Unless you're claiming you learned off the internet, I'm not sure what your point is.

If you didn't learn off the internet, I'd bet someone taught you. I'm not arguing that it has to be a professional instructor to teach you, I'm arguing that it shouldn't happen over the internet. (And, therefore, through this board.)

I'm kind of "pre internet"

And the emerging technology that to this day... is mind blowing!

If your stance is one "should not..."
I would say - wake up and open your eyes.
People don't need your permission (as it's happening, yesterday, today and onto the future).

People learn... it's information... It can be a double edged...
But the reality is it's happening, regardless of what you may say or feel.

Okay, I think we agree.

And it sounds to me like someone taught you. You had an instructor, whether formally or informally. Certainly, if you're an NRA instructor, you've had at least one formal class.

There is no reason to encourage today's new shooters to start with less than you had.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:16 pm

oldkim wrote:
APA wrote:
...Did they back then have this crazy gun killings like today? Just curious about why they don't do it anymore.

So many social shifts...

Yes, there were "mass shootings" in every decade and every year... in every part of the US and the World...
If you do the research and use modern definition of mass shooting... It's not new.

It was less frequent and that should be the real question... why is it more frequent to some degree?

Hunter education, gun safety... MENTAL HEALTH...
Law suits...

Shoot back in the day... someone would come along and beat the shit out of you... not even a family member.

Now, they may sit you down and make you color a drawing and tell you how bad others are.

As for why they don't teach shooting at school.
LIABILTY

But look at the world we are living in now... :facepalm2:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fak ... lls-n28481

Human nature I suppose. It's a crazy world today, I wonder what 10-20 years will look like.

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:19 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Back on track here. Like MP Mentioned, I don't know if we need our own section for this, there is a "general firearms discussion" that this falls into. If you are worried about a thread getting lost in the pile, then it wasn't a sustaining thread.

Personally, I have learned A LOT on the internet in regards to shooting. Different shooting styles, techniques, how-to's etc that I can read about, watch a video on, and then go out and apply that newfound knowledge at a range.

I wouldn't discourage ANYBODY from putting up some wisdom that helps new shooters feel more comfortable with owning and operating a firearm. In fact, I would support it, as that's kinda what this place is about.

Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:49 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The way I see it we have 18 subforums dedicated to buying and selling of firearms and firearm accessories. And we have 0 dedicated to operating these firearms properly. I'm thinking we need not just one sub-forum, but many. One for each discipline, for each type of firearm. Maybe General, Outdoors, Indoors, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Moving Targets, Self Defense, Action.

If you want to know why people are stupid and shooting into the trees and hitting houses and property down in Greenwater, maybe it's because we are too focused on buying guns and not focused enough on education.

I've been shooting since I was a kid. Went hunting with father and friends. During boy-scout camp I learned that all the activities besides shooting the .22 were boring, so I spent all my time there. Took a hunter-education class so I could go hunting. So while I think I know how to shoot guns, I know I can do better. I know I'm not an olympic champion caliber when it comes to long distance, or shooting clay pigeons, or pistols, or when it comes to anything. I want to learn how to do them all better.

If there are millions of resources, and some of you have learned a lot from the internet, how about we consolidate them into one location so people can easily find them? Get some of these experts to help differentiate between good advice and bad advice so people aren't shooting their pistols sideways and puting 15lbs of crap on their AR's. So they aren't resting their barrels on anything.

Or at the very least, could you post links to this information in my thread? viewtopic.php?f=40&t=73393

Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:48 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

What about the reference forum, that's been there since day one?
viewforum.php?f=68

Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
The way I see it we have 18 subforums dedicated to buying and selling of firearms and firearm accessories. And we have 0 dedicated to operating these firearms properly. I'm thinking we need not just one sub-forum, but many. One for each discipline, for each type of firearm. Maybe General, Outdoors, Indoors, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Moving Targets, Self Defense, Action.

If you want to know why people are stupid and shooting into the trees and hitting houses and property down in Greenwater, maybe it's because we are too focused on buying guns and not focused enough on education.

I've been shooting since I was a kid. Went hunting with father and friends. During boy-scout camp I learned that all the activities besides shooting the .22 were boring, so I spent all my time there. Took a hunter-education class so I could go hunting. So while I think I know how to shoot guns, I know I can do better. I know I'm not an olympic champion caliber when it comes to long distance, or shooting clay pigeons, or pistols, or when it comes to anything. I want to learn how to do them all better.

If there are millions of resources, and some of you have learned a lot from the internet, how about we consolidate them into one location so people can easily find them? Get some of these experts to help differentiate between good advice and bad advice so people aren't shooting their pistols sideways and puting 15lbs of crap on their AR's. So they aren't resting their barrels on anything.

Or at the very least, could you post links to this information in my thread? http://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=73393

You are confused about the meaning of the two verbs "teaching" and "learning" as relates to firearms ability. Yes, a motivated student *can* learn "some things" from books, vids, internet. However, these things do not "teach". Instructors teach. If you are looking for instructors/coaches/classes, there are many threads here that give you feedback/opinions. If you are looking for learning resources, you've already been advised on your best handgun option - in person competition: ASI/IDPA/USPSA/ActionShooting, even Cowboy/Bullseye/Steel.
As one master firearms instructor puts it "willingness is an attitude, readiness is a demonstrable fact."

Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2