Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 How do we get a newfangled site? 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sinus211 wrote:
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Ask Seattleguns about that one.

Exactly.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dan, have you looked at InvisionBoard? Pretty sure it costs some now, but I used to work with them and it's quality. I like the WaGuns as-is though.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Last edited by CurtisLemansky on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Phpbb is really where it's at. I've done a lot of forum and blog development and it really is the easiest to work with... For a forum that is... For a blog... It's WordPress by a mile...

Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

Exactly.

yeah, went over to SGN. Don't like that format at all.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:

I agree but that's not the American way. It's part of our genetics to keep fooling with something that works just fine until it's totally screwed up.

Just look at our small group in the shooting world. How many times have you heard the phrase "My rifle worked just fine until I changed xxxxx and now it doesn't". If it worked great, why was a change made? Answer: "my genes made me do it" :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this site starts looking/acting like XDTalk, I will punch every person I see in the crotch.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
If this site starts looking/acting like XDTalk, I will punch every person I see in the crotch.

Why?

Maybe I visit different parts of the forum than you. I usually hang out in the Non-XD handgun portion. I like the Glock group think that goes on there :bigsmile:

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's like an old shoe. .. it fits and it's comfortable and no need to break in. .. People don't like change unless it's necessary...

The fluff in other forums are nice but it's just fluff. .. the meat of any forum is the membership...

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Approaching this as a web project manager (which I have been in the past)...

What's not working with this platform? What are the projected requirements of the new one (wish list stuff)?

If you can meet your requirements and not take a step back in functionality, and it fits in your budget, by all means change. If not, don't.

While there are a couple small bugs that pop up here, nothing terrible. I have yet to see a forum platform that wowed me with ease of use and features. Most are evolutionary changes from years past. Remember, the main private use of the Internet 20+ years ago was Usenet...an online forum.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did someone say "wish list"?
The only feature I see elsewhere that I miss is the "hover over the thread subject and a little window pops up that shows the first words of the post" feature. This because it's hard to know exactly what the thread is about, and I am just too damn busy to click a couple extra times. Haha. It's a nice feature but I have no idea how and why it works like that in some forums and not others.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:28 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

gscott wrote:
Did someone say "wish list"?
The only feature I see elsewhere that I miss is the "hover over the thread subject and a little window pops up that shows the first words of the post" feature. This because it's hard to know exactly what the thread is about, and I am just too damn busy to click a couple extra times. Haha. It's a nice feature but I have no idea how and why it works like that in some forums and not others.

Agreed. That's a nice feature.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:31 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

A while back, I asked for sequential post numbers to be visible so links could be provided to a particular posts within a thread.

I've since learned how to accomplish that without any change in the forum software!
:thumbsup2:

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think this site works very well. It's probably the most user friendly of all the sites and easily navigable.

The only draw back is that it's such a pain in the ass to resize the pictures I want to post here. Even when my pictures are hosted by another site.

On the other hand, this is the only site I know of where you can post up the Youtube box directly in the thread as opposed to just posting an html link. I like that!

All considered, I still believe the functionality of the WGO site to be top notch and I would cringe in fear if I heard that it was going to be altered or changed in any significant way. It aint broke, don't fix it.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
mislabeled wrote:

Why?

Maybe I visit different parts of the forum than you. I usually hang out in the Non-XD handgun portion. I like the Glock group think that goes on there :bigsmile:

I won't go into the whole laundry list of irritation lurking at XDTalk, so here are my top 2 gripes:

Their use of screen space is atrocious and completely disconnected from the primary point of the site, which is to attract and retain visitors. Banner ads placed vertically make for a poor user experience, especially on mobile devices where screen real estate is already at a premium. The inclusion of user avatars on the main forum page (where all the threads are listed) is similarly wasteful. Ditto including the number of likes on the main page. Seriously, this is a forum, meaning most people are looking for a bit of discussion, not racking up likes. If likes are included in each post, that might not be so irritating. But on the main page? Totally unnecessary.

Their penchant for pop-up ads that occupy the lower 25% of the screen -- and that are hell to dismiss on a mobile device -- make me want to visit the site only if I absolutely have to. I don't hang out there. I search, I find, I leave. The ads play a big, big role in that decision. These gripes may go away once a user logs in, but if they can't even entice me to stick around long enough to do that, then their site design isn't doing its job.

I don't expect every forum to be like the Sig board, which is completely devoid of any ads or other obtrusiveness. Some forums, unfortunately, take it to the other extreme and forget that there might actually a human looking at the page, not a search engine robot or a company spending ad dollars.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
joao01 wrote:
mislabeled wrote:

Why?

I won't go into the whole laundry list of irritation lurking at XDTalk, so here are my top 2 gripes:

Their use of screen space is atrocious and completely disconnected from the primary point of the site, which is to attract and retain visitors. Banner ads placed vertically make for a poor user experience, especially on mobile devices where screen real estate is already at a premium. The inclusion of user avatars on the main forum page (where all the threads are listed) is similarly wasteful. Ditto including the number of likes on the main page. Seriously, this is a forum, meaning most people are looking for a bit of discussion, not racking up likes. If likes are included in each post, that might not be so irritating. But on the main page? Totally unnecessary.

Their penchant for pop-up ads that occupy the lower 25% of the screen -- and that are hell to dismiss on a mobile device -- make me want to visit the site only if I absolutely have to. I don't hang out there. I search, I find, I leave. The ads play a big, big role in that decision. These gripes may go away once a user logs in, but if they can't even entice me to stick around long enough to do that, then their site design isn't doing its job.

I don't expect every forum to be like the Sig board, which is completely devoid of any ads or other obtrusiveness. Some forums, unfortunately, take it to the other extreme and forget that there might actually a human looking at the page, not a search engine robot or a company spending ad dollars.

thanks for your explenation. I can see how that would be annoying. I usually just got in for the threads & topics I'm looking for and leave, so I guess I don't get too bothered by that other stuff.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next