Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 How do we get a newfangled site? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do we get one of them newfangled forums with all the thumbs up and badges and alerts?

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You go to SGN to see what it is like, and then run back here screaming like a little girl that you didn't mean it after all, and beg forgiveness.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:54 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

joao01 wrote:
How do we get one of them newfangled forums with all the thumbs up and badges and alerts?

Like..... A new software system for the site? It's a double edged sword, not all of us want all them newfangled items that come with that platform.

There are 3 major forum software platforms.

phpbb - The one this site runs on. Customization, open source, free
vBullitin - Like NWFA used to be on and SGN is on now. Cost's $$, source code isn't available, some mods cost $$, lacking support (vB is dying)
XenForo - If we were to ever upgrade, it would be to this. Costs $$ annually, difficult to "band", learning curve with how the platform works.

I have downloaded and installed demo copies of vB and XF and have played with them a lot. For what we do, and what we need, phpBB has all the features we seem to want.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
joao01 wrote:

Like..... A new software system for the site? It's a double edged sword, not all of us want all them newfangled items that come with that platform.

There are 3 major forum software platforms.

phpbb - The one this site runs on. Customization, open source, free
vBullitin - Like NWFA used to be on and SGN is on now. Cost's $$, source code isn't available, some mods cost $$, lacking support (vB is dying)
XenForo - If we were to ever upgrade, it would be to this. Costs $$ annually, difficult to "band", learning curve with how the platform works.

I have downloaded and installed demo copies of vB and XF and have played with them a lot. For what we do, and what we need, phpBB has all the features we seem to want.

I'm talking more like what NWFA and XDTalk are on now.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This one seems to work quite nicely

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:04 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

joao01 wrote:

They are both on XF. We will probably be there, eventually. It's mainly $$ driven. All of the donations we receive go back to our members in the ways of PIFs, schwag etc. We are not exactly rolling in the dough over here and each donation, to us, is a very serious matter.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
joao01 wrote:

They are both on XF. We will probably be there, eventually. It's mainly $$ driven. All of the donations we receive go back to our members in the ways of PIFs, schwag etc. We are not exactly rolling in the dough over here and each donation, to us, is a very serious matter.

so what you are saying is I need to donate (which I plan to sometime soon), and help get more members (got one this past weekend). Got it.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:08 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

joao01 wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
joao01 wrote:

so what you are saying is I need to donate (which I plan to sometime soon), and help get more members (got one this past weekend). Got it.

That will help, yes.. But also there needs to be a NEED to upgrade, a feature, service, etc that a majority of members will like.

I don't know if you noticed, but when NWFA went to XF they lost quite a bit of activity, mainly because people said screw it, too confusing. Numbers are starting to come back up, but as a forum owner, nothing sucks more than to see activity plummet.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:53 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:

Doesn't Facesmash have all that crap?

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
[quote="j

That will help, yes.. But also there needs to be a NEED to upgrade, a feature, service, etc that a majority of members will like.

Yeah - something good, like Auto Suck.

With Real Bacon Aroma.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
I don't know if you noticed, but when NWFA went to XF they lost quite a bit of activity, mainly because people said screw it, too confusing. Numbers are starting to come back up, but as a forum owner, nothing sucks more than to see activity plummet.

This...there were lots of bugs which took a long time to work through. I'm a young, technologically savvy guy and it was pissing me off...they probably lost a lot of folks with that mess.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
[quote="j

Yeah - something good, like Auto Suck.

With Real Bacon Aroma.

Real Bacon Aroma, not Fake Canadian Bacon Aroma :thumbsup2:

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or a like button and when hit it shows a set of boobs and the more likes the bigger the boobs it shows

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:40 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Ask Seattleguns about that one.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm, seems like this has already been thought about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next