Switch to full style
Want / Need a feature added? Have a great idea you would like to share with us? Do so here!
Post a reply

garbage ads taking over browser

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:09 pm

so I click on a thread, read it and tried to back out but it seems the ads are spamming my browser and not allowing a go back option

WTF??

Re: garbage ads taking over browser

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:14 pm

Yep, I just got a pic of Oprah in some ad that took over the Firefox tab I was using for WaGuns.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:16 pm

Adblock plugin is your friend.

Also, you may want to run a deep malware scan. I'm pretty sure Waguns doesn't normally serve those ads.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:16 pm

I just had the same thing. My Chrome tab for WaGuns just turned into this:
http://x.vindicosuite.com/serve/v=5;m=3 ... 26dtd%3D69

Fear not, the IT department will be here shortly.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:21 pm

kf7mjf wrote:Adblock plugin is your friend.

Mmmmmaybe.

I know I'm biased, but I don't use any adblocking software on WaGuns; I "whitelist" our site. The money we make from the Google ads is very helpful, and will come to the members in the form of PIFs, supporting good causes, etc.

I was using Adblock Plus for a while on other sites, and it was really effective . . . but it also reaaaallly bogged down my computer and brought it to a crawl. I did a web search, and this seems to be a common problem; Adblock apparently uses more resources than it "saves" from ads.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:24 pm

That URL and a few variants have now been blocked!

Thanks for letting us know.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:28 pm

MadPick wrote:

Mmmmmaybe.

I know I'm biased, but I don't use any adblocking software on WaGuns; I "whitelist" our site. The money we make from the Google ads is very helpful, and will come to the members in the form of PIFs, supporting good causes, etc.

I was using Adblock Plus for a while on other sites, and it was really effective . . . but it also reaaaallly bogged down my computer and brought it to a crawl. I did a web search, and this seems to be a common problem; Adblock apparently uses more resources than it "saves" from ads.

I whitelist Waguns, and I white list responsible advertising (a lot is already whitelisted).

As for bogging down resources, I've never had that problem, and I'm running at the moment the latest Chrome, on top of a bleeding edge Beta build of Fedora 21 (which does give me fits now and then, but that's beta for you.)

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:30 pm

IT'S THE NORTH KOREANS!!!!!!!!!!!!

:runforthehills:

:reaction:

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:44 pm

hey youd be pissed to if they made a movie about killing the president

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:47 pm

Ops wrote:hey youd be pissed to if they made a movie about killing the president

Except we'd call it free speech and move on.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:11 pm

Here is another one. PM sent.

http://sponsor.adverstitial.com/view/ad ... 9142879976

Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:18 am

MadPick wrote:

Mmmmmaybe.

I know I'm biased, but I don't use any adblocking software on WaGuns; I "whitelist" our site.

I whitewash this sight too, 99% pure bleach solution, just can't ever be to carefull.
I mean have you SEEN the creapers running this place? :zombie:

Err wait I thought you meant something else....
:wagwoot:

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:33 am

Ads on full site have been disabled for now.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:34 am

Just curious . . . has anyone had this issue this morning? Or had the problem gone away before Dan turned off the ads?

Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:35 pm

no idea, so far tonight its ok
Post a reply