Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:11 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Attachments in PMs - difficult/costly to implement? 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Every once in a while, I've wanted to attach a pic to make clear what I was asking about in a PM, but that capability seems limited to public posts.

If you were just waiting for someone to ask . . . .
:thumbsup2:

If you want to limit its use, it could be available only to Site Supporters.
:wink05:

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

What type of attachments? Is this something that in the world of dropbox, google drive, onedrive etc that has an online file repository that you can link to won't solve?

Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:13 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many of us do not use photo "hosting" sites for various reasons...

Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:27 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Sissyboy wrote:

Good, we don't want a fappening v3 featuring Sissyboy....

Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:46 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Massivedesign wrote:
What type of attachments? . . .

It's usually a quick sketch or detail photo that's not worth using my online space for because it's likely to become out of date rather quickly.

Massivedesign wrote:
. . . Is this something that in the world of dropbox, google drive, onedrive etc that has an online file repository that you can link to won't solve?

Seems like that would be true of attachments in posts, too, yet they're allowed there.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like there may be a good reason to not allow attachments in PMs. If there is, I'd just like to understand what it is. No arguments from me thereafter.

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:11 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Honestly the reason is space. We are not on an unlimited storage plan, so we need to monitor our disk space. We can do that pretty easily with attachments in threads, because we can see those, and after we trash the thread, can remove the physical attachment.

We do not see, search or modify PM's, so unless the end user deleted that PM, the file would remain in our disk space. While it's not a big deal if one or two were done, having attachments within PM's COULD be an issue if it were used widely.

Also, as far as making it available to Site Supporters only, we at WaGuns have always made it a practice that paying for Site Supporter status shouldn't entitle the user to additional benefits over other members (sans an extra entry into an occasional PIF, or a special "thank you PIF"). There are plenty of other sites where a "Supporter" etc gets special treatment, privileges etc and that can often reflect in a "class war". Mods, Site Supporters and Regular Members are all held to the same set of rules, access and permissions.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:34 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Massivedesign wrote:
Honestly the reason is space. We are not on an unlimited storage plan, so we need to monitor our disk space. We can do that pretty easily with attachments in threads, because we can see those, and after we trash the thread, can remove the physical attachment.

We do not see, search or modify PM's, so unless the end user deleted that PM, the file would remain in our disk space. While it's not a big deal if one or two were done, having attachments within PM's COULD be an issue if it were used widely. . . .

Thank you, sir.
:wavey:

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sissyboy wrote:

The still host photos, even if you put hosting in ironic quotation marks. I like imgur.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

olydemon wrote:
Sissyboy wrote:

Good, we don't want a fappening v3 featuring Sissyboy....

I was planning on eating breakfast. Not now.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lets go back to 1998 now, guess the future was to much for some people

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
access and permissions.

i call BS i click on stuff all the time and it says you dont have permission to view this topic :045:

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:17 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

mash man wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
access and permissions.

i call BS i click on stuff all the time and it says you dont have permission to view this topic :045:

You have to enter a password to get into the NSFW section. I'll send a message to your wife on FB with the password, she can pass it along to you.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]