Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:55 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 North End Supporters Box - Poll 

Should we change how the box winner is drawn?
No, keep things as they are 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
Yes, let's change it up 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Let's change it, but Snozzberries idea is less than perfect 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

North End Supporters Box - Poll 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I posted in the most recent drawing thread this:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=83995&start=13
snozzberries wrote:
I feel that at some point, the box should just be passed through these 8 people, in order. Instead of doing a new drawing after every person.

It seemed to get some traction and interest as an idea. So I'm making this poll/post.

The idea is thus:
  1. Everybody states "In"
  2. We end up with a list of 20 people
  3. We randomize the list and declare the winner
  4. The winner gets the box, does the trade, and then gives the box to whoever was #2 on the list
  5. #2 get's the box, does the trade, and then gives the box to whoever was #3 on the list
  6. Etc Etc Etc until we make it all the way through the list

The reasoning behind this change are:
  1. This guarantees everybody in the drawing gets a chance to see the box, instead of always drawing a new random person.
  2. This can allow faster movement between people. Maybe some people want to swap spots and go out of order. Maybe 3 people all meet at the same place, and 2 people get to go through it.
  3. This means less paperwork. We can have just 1 thread for a while, with the boxes location being constantly updated.

On a side note, what do you think of taking the box to Group Meet-ups? Have a drawing to determine order, everybody can have a go at it rapid fire in order.

Concerns
The only thing I'm not sure about, is I might want to research some of the items in the box to figure out what they are, what they are worth etc. So I might not be able to quickly choose something.

I personally have a brand new Nikon Mount I'd put in the box, but I'm not sure what's in the box to take back out. That might take me a while to figure out. I need to check their prices to ensure what I put in is worth more than what I take out, and what I take out is useful to me.

Thoughts?

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I proposed something similar a long time ago, but nobody seemed interested. I generally don't go "in" any longer as it became more of a chore than fun.

I don't know what the answer might be, but if it were fun again, I'd be more interested.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since i have the box right now and will be passing it off this week. I can say there is a whole bunch of stuff that really could use a description. With out giving to much away.
There are a bunch of grips and holsters in the box. Expect for one or two none of them are marked, there are a couple of generics as well but it would be nice to NOT have to go research to figure out if they might work.
There's some good stuff in there and the box is WAY better than the last time I had it.

A change to snozz's idea is to build a list over 2 weeks. Choose the top 3 or 5 randomly. Cycle the box in order among that group (Or better a couple of you get together and go through adding and subtracting. Once done put it back up for a week, repeat the process. Goal being that the box comes back up at least once a month for the top couple to look through.

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:53 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
I proposed something similar a long time ago, but nobody seemed interested. I generally don't go "in" any longer as it became more of a chore than fun.

I don't know what the answer might be, but if it were fun again, I'd be more interested.

Yep know the feeling. Hopefully we can make it fun again!

ADD: Snozz the group meetup while an idea especially for the odd ball stuff I don't think is a great idea. Though if there is stuff that has cycled for too long or misc stuff where there are lots of them (Like stickers etc...) bringing those to a meetup is a great idea.

I would also propose we cycle the box to a moderator OR designated cleaner and once every three months or so that person "cleans" the box.

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Col_Temp wrote:
delliottg wrote:

Yep know the feeling. Hopefully we can make it fun again!

ADD: Snozz the group meetup while an idea especially for the odd ball stuff I don't think is a great idea. Though if there is stuff that has cycled for too long or misc stuff where there are lots of them (Like stickers etc...) bringing those to a meetup is a great idea.

I would also propose we cycle the box to a moderator OR designated cleaner and once every three months or so that person "cleans" the box.

The problem I see with whoever "gets" to be the cleaner, is then it becomes a real chore. How to decide what to keep and what to toss? I know I wouldn't want to do it. Maybe if there were a solid inventory of what was in there so it'd be easier to track the stuff that's not moving it might be easier (Google spreadsheet?). There was stuff in the box last time I had it that I had no idea what it was, no easy way to look it up, and little incentive to do so because I wasn't interested in it. Now, to be fair, the next guy might see that same stuff and be thrilled that they found it, but there's a lot of stuff in there that I wouldn't even glance at when walking around a gun show. My wife and I spent a couple of hours last time we had it putting all the "like" things together, put some stuff in gallon Zip-loc bags, put all the ammunition together, sorted the reloading stuff out, etc. but in the end, I think we took a range bag and put in some reloading stuff (don't remember, it was probably more than a year ago now). Oh, I think that's where I got that POS Bushmaster AR magazine from too, wish I'd left it in the box...

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think 20 would take too long and potentially people further down the list may no longer be interested or otherwise unable to be reached for their turn at the box. I would suggest no more than 10, maybe 5-8 that could be done in a quicker span.

I've only had the box once and there was a lot of, well, junk in it. Perhaps some more rules on what goes in the box would be prudent - again trying to keep the box high value.

A thought just popped in my head, another idea that might be helpful is that everyone who wants in posts what it is they will add to the box, and the current box holder chooses who gets the box based on the value and relevance of the items to be added.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Logizyme wrote:
I think 20 would take too long and potentially people further down the list may no longer be interested or otherwise unable to be reached for their turn at the box. I would suggest no more than 10, maybe 5-8 that could be done in a quicker span.

I've only had the box once and there was a lot of, well, junk in it. Perhaps some more rules on what goes in the box would be prudent - again trying to keep the box high value.

A thought just popped in my head, another idea that might be helpful is that everyone who wants in posts what it is they will add to the box, and the current box holder chooses who gets the box based on the value and relevance of the items to be added.

Interesting ideas. Right now it's just 1 person. What if we increased it to 2 people? Or maybe 3?

Then there are still lots of drawings, but also it might move faster along.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]