Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:19 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Canadian living in Seattle. 

Hey! Moved to Seattle a while ago from
Vancouver bc and happy I came across this page. Jumped through a lot of hoops to build a collection while living in Canada and sadly had to part ways with it all when I moved south. Looking forward to trying to regain what was lost and hopefully gain some knowledge from this forum.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:44 pm

Welcome to WaGuns.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there a Canadian law that prohibits you from taking your firearms out of country when you move? Or was it a U.S. law that made you give them up?

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Airborne Engineer wrote:
Is there a Canadian law that prohibits you from taking your firearms out of country when you move? Or was it a U.S. law that made you give them up?

This. VERY curious. I mean other than not being a citizen at first. Just trying to get my head around this. Thanks

And most certainly welcome!!!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:19 pm

it is possible to import some firearms from
Canada but requires a lot of ATF paperwork and at the time I was not yet a permanent resident making it even more difficult. And on top of all of that I owned a few Russian surplus rifles and ever a few *gasp* Chinese firearms. At the time it was easier to sell what I wasn't overly attached too and transfer all the other to a friend of mine for safe keeping.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:31 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns and to the USA! :flag:

That really sucks about having to sell your collection.

:blackcloud1:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:50 pm
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

welcomewgo

Welcome to the USA !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to WaGuns.

You will more than likely find most, if not all, of what you had before, now that you are South of the border.

Talk to Steve, he can help give you places to look for, about any thing.
Including cake.

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:23 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns!

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:33 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If there are possible plans to move back to Canada, you may want to keep that in mind when you add to your collection here. As I understand it, you can own a Tavor in Canada, but not an AR-15. Firearms laws are just silly all around.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:39 am

joao01 wrote:
If there are possible plans to move back to Canada, you may want to keep that in mind when you add to your collection here. As I understand it, you can own a Tavor in Canada, but not an AR-15. Firearms laws are just silly all around.

Me wife is American and with the time and money it took me to move here I don't think we will be switching countries any time soon haha. As for the Canadian gun laws.... I could probably go on for days with the different crazy rules but yes you can own and shoot a tavor anywhere you like but for some reason all AR-15s are restricted and can only be shot at a licensed range. AK's are flat out illegal to own because they "look scary" but a few years ago you could buy a Russian made SKS still packed in cosmoline for $199 and a crate of 1300 surplus. 7.62 for about the same.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Went through the same thing back in 2000 when I moved down here. Gun law idiosyncrasies, paperwork, and the fact that back then, "resident aliens" were not even allowed to get concealed weapons permits among other restrictions on owning guns.

So, it was a huge problem, and I had to sell off all my stuff as the easier alternative as well.

It was a British ( I think ) guy, Adrian, worked at Wades, who got backing, and worked a case to Wa. Supreme court to get the law changed so that "resident aliens" ( green card legal residents ) all had the same rights and privileges as any other Washington State resident. In his case, it was his livelihood at stake. Great guy, knew a lot of stuff, and was one of the good reasons to go to Wades to begin with.

Makes me cry when I think of all the Remington Rands, FAL's and Winchesters I gave up.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:48 am

RENCORP wrote:
Went through the same thing back in 2000 when I moved down here. Gun law idiosyncrasies, paperwork, and the fact that back then, "resident aliens" were not even allowed to get concealed weapons permits among other restrictions on owning guns.

So, it was a huge problem, and I had to sell off all Olivia Taylor Dudley stuff as the easier alternative as well.

It was a British ( I think ) guy, Adrian, worked at Wades, who got backing, and worked a case to Wa. Supreme court to get the law changed so that "resident aliens" ( green card legal residents ) all had the same rights and privileges as any other Washington State resident. In his case, it was his livelihood at stake. Great guy, knew a lot of stuff, and was one of the good reasons to go to Wades to begin with.

Makes me cry when I think of all the Remington Rands, FAL's and Winchesters I gave up.

I work just down the street from wades I'll have to stop by and say thanks if he still works there.

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! :snipersmilie:

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:34 pm

Mrs Six has a green card, she has been here 15 years. She did not know until about a month ago, that she not only can have firearms, but can apply for a CWP.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:19 am

Welcome! Fellow Canadian here, but am a permanent resident with a cpl!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next