Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:43 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Eager new shooter in King County 

After years of wanting to get into the sport, I finally purchased my first rifle. An M1A Loaded. Been hitting up the range and absolutely love the sport and am desperate to learn as much as possible about long range shooting. I have been going to the Kenmore and Issaquah ranges but would love to join the Interlake club in Redmond. If anyone would like to connect with me and possibly sponsor me, i would be more than happy to meet up for coffee to discsuss.

Let me know
Thanks,

E

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thats an intense first gun! Where did you pick it up? id love an m1a.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:15 pm

I bought it at Surplus Ammo and Supply Arms down in Tacoma. I have an old buddy that works there. Figured if i was going to purchase my first gun, i would get it through him. And to be honest, i spent a lot of time researching long range rifles. Took me about 2 years decide to go with the m1a loaded. It was a good, fun fit for me. I also got a Leupold 4.5x-14x scope on it too. Figured go big or go home.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:06 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Gask3t wrote:
I bought it at Surplus Ammo and Supply Arms down in Tacoma. I have an old buddy that works there. Figured if i was going to purchase my first gun, i would get it through him. And to be honest, i spent a lot of time researching long range rifles. Took me about 2 years decide to go with the m1a loaded. It was a good, fun fit for me. I also got a Leupold 4.5x-14x scope on it too. Figured go big or go home.

Fun rifle. I got it and a SPR Loaded 1911 to complete my "Fun" purchase a few years ago. Minus a rail, bi-pod and some grips I have left them stock. Hord some ammo and mags and get it to the range quick before the newness rubs off.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:10 pm
Profile WWW

Already shot through about 250 rounds over the weekend. My only complaint about the rifle, is that I did buy a harris bipod for it and an adapter that goes in the stock and pokes out the bottom. There seems to be a lot of twisting that can occur in the front from the hardguard and the stock when the bipod is deployed..... if that makes sense.

(and i would LOVE a 1911 too, such a great american combo)

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:21 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gask3t wrote:
I finally purchased my first rifle. An M1A Loaded.

:bow: Dude is serious!

Welcome to WaGuns!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:17 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Gask3t wrote:
Already shot through about 250 rounds over the weekend. My only complaint about the rifle, is that I did buy a harris bipod for it and an adapter that goes in the stock and pokes out the bottom. There seems to be a lot of twisting that can occur in the front from the hardguard and the stock when the bipod is deployed..... if that makes sense.

(and i would LOVE a 1911 too, such a great american combo)

I put on a small rail with a beading job on it. Not bad but sure is tough to put a dremel to a brand new wood stock.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Well that's one hell of a way to start shooting! Welcome to the shooting sports, you're off to a good start :snipersmilie:

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:31 pm

"I put on a small rail with a beading job on it. Not bad but sure is tough to put a dremel to a brand new wood stock."

Trying to avoid adding any rails to this gun minus the springfield scope mount. And its a synthetic stock not wood (ODG to be exact - thought it would be nice to have something different at the range. Too many ARs!). I eventually want to upgrade to a McMillan stock though . . . But I appreciate the advice.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:37 pm

sinus211 wrote:
Well that's one hell of a way to start shooting! Welcome to the shooting sports, you're off to a good start :snipersmilie:

Thank you. Eager to learn more and get my groupings tighter.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:38 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Gask3t wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

Thank you. Eager to learn more and get my groupings tighter.

I've done a little bit of shooting for accuracy. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I hear that sinus 211 can shoot a bit, and knows which end of the rifle to point down range.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:55 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Arisaka wrote:
Yeah, I hear that sinus 211 can shoot a bit, and knows which end of the rifle to point down range.

:lies: Seriously though compared to lots of guys around here that don't post much, I'm small potatoes. But I'm happy to help if I can. You want someone who can really shoot, talk to Samurai if you can find him. If you ever watch "Long Range Reality" on the Sportsmen's channel try and find the episode where he hits a 1260yds cold bore shot on the first attempt. That guy can shoot!

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:02 pm

I do have a question.

I was shooting all day with 10 rounds in my 20 round mags just fine on saturday. On Sunday, i went to a single load fire range and was shooting some Armscor 308 win rounds. I had ~6-7 dry fire shots. Thought this was very surprising for a new gun out of the box. Is it possible this is ammo related?

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:21 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

By dry fire do you mean that the primer was struck, but the round didn't fire? Was there a dent in the primer? On Saturday when you loaded the mag were you using the same Armscor ammo?

Most likely it is ammo related, but a few more details are needed.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next