Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Maple valley says hello 

New to the site. Referred by a current member. Completely new to the gun world so came here to learn. Shot some handguns before. Don't own any but turning 25 in a few weeks and looking to buy my first handgun as a gift :runforthehills:

Can someone be so kind as to offer some advice as to which companies to generally stay away from (Taurus) due to poor quality and such and which companies are sure 100 legit. My buddy loves LaRue Tactical, but that's rifles. :AR15firing:

:cheers2:

Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

welcomewgo

Welcome to WaGuns and to the shooting sport (addiction?)

Are you getting the pistol for self-defense purposes?

Listen to Mr. Henrichs, For semi-auto pistols stick with (in no particular order) Glock, S&W, Sig:

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:18 pm

Thanks for the videos. I've shot a glock 17 before and did not care for it at all. Shot a Springfield 1911A1 the other day alongside a HK USP. 1911 was by far my favorite and most accurate with.

Next visit is trying out the HK VP9 and FNX45 and maybe a M&P40. :thumbsup2:

Yes to the self defense aspect. Our govt is gonna drive us into a second civil war which I want no part of. But people not fighting in that war will go crazy on the side lines and I'll need to defend myself and my family when shit gets real. :AR15firing: :snipersmilie: :diggin:

Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KXNGKUSH wrote:
Thanks for the videos. I've shot a glock 17 before and did not care for it at all. Shot a Springfield 1911A1 the other day alongside a HK USP. 1911 was by far my favorite and most accurate with.

Next visit is trying out the HK VP9 and FNX45 and maybe a M&P40. :thumbsup2:

Yes to the self defense aspect. Our govt is gonna drive us into a second civil war which I want no part of. But people not fighting in that war will go crazy on the side lines and I'll need to defend myself and my family when shit gets real. :AR15firing: :snipersmilie: :diggin:

I dont care for the glocks either (but they are excellent guns dont get me wrong). And never cared for the Springfield XDs. I have S&W M&P's (Shield, 9c, and full size 9mm) I like the M&P platform. My brother had a H&K USP Compact 45 (still like a full size of most guns), I didnt care for it. I have a Sprngfield 1911, for a first gun and a self-defense gun stick with the more budget friendly pistols that are typical for LEOs to carry; the Glock, S&W, Sig are not terribly expensive and they are combat/LEO proven (read: stone-cold reliable) weapons platforms.

Just on the points of proliferation and ease of locating sources for replacement parts and magazines alone I would say stick with Glock, S&W, Sig

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:47 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns!

I really don't think there's a clear "good list" and "bad list" of gun companies. Yes, you can read some things about Taurus and a few others, but . . . really . . . I'd buy whatever gets you excited. You didn't like the Glock, that's fine. Shoot and handle some others, and you'll figure out what it is that you like. I wouldn't worry about brand too much.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yea kinda what madpick said. Yes there's some companies I shy away from for certain guns. RIA makes some decent 1911's imho, especially if your wanting to add custom parts to it anyways. Glocks are glocks... ugly bricks that go bang(and I own one), Taurus... makes decent wheel guns but I'm not a fan of their semi autos. The XD line from Springfield is good, as is the M&P line from S&W(I sold mine because I hated that friggin trigger). But there's lots of others that I didn't list too. I'd say stick to things though that are A.) relatively common so things like holsters and magazines are available and not an arm and a leg. B.)(this is especially important for a fairly new shooter) stick with common calibers 9mm, 40s&w, and 45acp, these are the 3 most common calibers on the market, so availablity should be gtg unless there's another panic.

Welcome to wa guns

Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:30 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm super pumped to get back on the range and shoot. Hope to make it to some shooting events yall hold. I browsed around the area of this website that talks about areas to shoot outside like Greenwater and the triangle pit past tacoma... didn't notice anything that pops out around my location here in maple valley. Can someone make a suggestion? Btw... I'm originally from SoCal and have only been in WA for little over 4 years. I don't get out much so I'm still not familiar with cities and their particular locations relative to one another. I have to Google maps everything!! Thanks for any and all help!!

Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard!
Check out Black Diamond Gun Club.
http://www.blackdiamondgunclub.org

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:02 am
Site Moderator / In Memoriam