Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:24 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Hello From Illinois - Yes, I Know ... 

kf7mjf wrote:
Talonap wrote:
joao01 wrote:
I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that you're in the Reserve component and are partly looking to move close to a reserve unit. A little known fact is that JBLM has Navy and Marines http://www.lewis-mcchord.army.mil/navy_usmc.html.

I tend to agree with Jager...Whidbey is fairly challenging to get on/off. There may be other stations in the area you can swing that are more "convenient" for everyday life. I do hear that the Bellingham Airport is really stepping up and has a lot of great offerings to help prevent drives down to SeaTac Airport.

Not a reservist any more. Spent six years active duty and about six active reserve. Left it all behind about 26 years ago. :patriot: I am in the VA Health system, so we would need to find the nearest medical facility.

There is an outpatient clinic in Mt. Vernon (next county over) and Island Transit will get you over to Skagit County.

You may also want to look at Thurston County, which offers a lot of the same rural/semi rural options as Island County, along with the functional transit system you described wanting, and easy access to VA facilities, without being stuck on an island where the only way off is a bridge or two ferries. (Grew up there, it's a great place to retire, but just disconnected enough from the rest of the world to get to you after a while).

Thanks for the input! We'll check out Thurston County. Not sure if we want to be in the same county as Olympia though ... :shocked4:

"Do what you can with what you've got!" Burt Gummer

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're talking VA Medical (Not DoD) Lakewood (Pierce County) and Seattle have the VA Hospitals. So I'd keep that in mind. Benefit to being beyond a certain radius is the VA Choice Program http://www.va.gov/opa/choiceact/. You can get medical stuff on the economy (which I'd trust more) than VA care.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:25 am

dreadi wrote:
With the direction that IL is heading, which is a regress in gun controls, I would say your thoughts on WA aren't a better situation in that aspect. Now that IL has concealed carry and still has no state registration, it's seemed to me that some aspects of firearm ownership has become easier. Here we have state registration for pistols bought from or transferred through an FFL. You still have the FOID, no fullauto, SBS, or SBR in the state but, in the time since I left, it seems the good fight has been paying off in small dividends instead of a lump sum. Since I moved here, I've seen more controls instituted, despite the allowance of SBR, SBS. Seattle recently passed a guns and ammo tax and has driven out at least one of the retail FFLs from the city to a location outside the city. Still not as bad as finding a brick and mortar FFL in Chicago though.

I, like you had this area on my radar partially based on gun laws. Some of thse liberties aren't legally available anymore, and I've only been here three and half years.

Now onto some positives. Never have in my life, and having moved numerous times and lived in three states prior, have I ever had the amount of gun shops and places to shoot available to me within an hour or less. You can fill up your weekend with shooting matches all year here. You can drive off in the the woods on public land and throw lead downrange until your heart is content or until you run out of ammo. You need 1911 parts? There's shop for that. You need AR parts? There's a shop for that. You need a selection of 60 year old rifles? There's a shop for that. You want to run into one of the forum admins on public transportation? That happens. You want to make friends and see how people will reach out and stick their neck way out for you, a stranger? That happens too.

This seven year old Merlot is tasty. welcomewgo

Thank you for all the good information. Could you clarify the State Handgun Registration? I can't seem to find any state law concerning that. I think that would be a deal breaker. I thought firearm registration was illegal at a federal level - could be wrong on that.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no formalized handgun registration like in Illinois in WA. There is a set of paperwork that is retained on file when a pistol is purchased through a dealer, but there is no requirement to have your guns registered with the state. It's more a de facto registry than a formal one.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:18 am

kf7mjf wrote:
There is no formalized handgun registration like in Illinois in WA. There is a set of paperwork that is retained on file when a pistol is purchased through a dealer, but there is no requirement to have your guns registered with the state. It's more a de facto registry than a formal one.

Thank you for the information. Just FYI, there is no registration in IL. :bigsmile: From what I've tried to find out about Wa, when a handgun is purchased from an FFL one of the pages filled out is sent to the, "Department of Licenses",? So, as you say, it is a, State De facto registration since the information is being kept and entered into the state government data base. In IL, the information is kept by the FFL for 20 years and only accessible to law enforcement when doing an investigation on that particular firearm, (used in a crime, etc. )

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3