Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
leaferikson wrote:
RENCORP wrote:
Apply for your concealed carry permit as soon as possible,

90 days after moving here*

Right away.

Law is 30 days to shall issue to resident, 90 days to non resident/just moved. I doubt the Island County Sheriff will drag it out the full 90 days.

My mistake then, I was told 90 days to establish residency and then apply.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:10 am

oldkim wrote:
Welcome to WaGuns!
:wagwoot:
and to Washington State!

Let us know what you need! Oak Harbor is a nice place. Getting a bit higher cost of living these days but still able to find some gems over there if you are into more hands on property.

So, what kind of shooting are you into? There are like 2-3 ranges on the island...

If you are coming over... make sure you apply for non resident CPL (Concealed Pistol License).

Read the "out of state" info:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms ... alreq.html

Thanks for the welcome! We do mostly target shooting at indoor ranges. Would do some plinking if we could find somewhere, "Plinkable"

"Do what you can with what you've got!" Burt Gummer

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:15 am

new daddy wrote:
Where in Illinois are you now?

About 30 miles south of Chicago - "Crook" County. :crybaby:

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you have a reason to be near NAS Whidbey? Any reason to otherwise be on the Whidbey? Dont get me wrong, its nice out there, well out of OH it is. Just keep in mind irs forever from anywhere and if you to go anywhere, aside from the time, the traffic is sort of shitty. This is simply just do to the 1 way (by road) on and off the island. Personally, if you didnt have to be near the base, I'd pick somewhere else nearby. Anacortes, La Conner, Burlington areas are all nice. Skagit county has a very low tax compared to almost anywhere on the Westside. Housing is more expensive on the island due to it being near the base and an island. Lots of shooting to be had in the Skagit Valley. In fact, my typical shooting spot I run into shooters from the island almost every time.
Good luck, we look forward to adding another pro 2A resident!

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that you're in the Reserve component and are partly looking to move close to a reserve unit. A little known fact is that JBLM has Navy and Marines http://www.lewis-mcchord.army.mil/navy_usmc.html.

I tend to agree with Jager...Whidbey is fairly challenging to get on/off. There may be other stations in the area you can swing that are more "convenient" for everyday life. I do hear that the Bellingham Airport is really stepping up and has a lot of great offerings to help prevent drives down to SeaTac Airport.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leaferikson wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:
leaferikson wrote:
RENCORP wrote:
Apply for your concealed carry permit as soon as possible,

90 days after moving here*

Right away.

Law is 30 days to shall issue to resident, 90 days to non resident/just moved. I doubt the Island County Sheriff will drag it out the full 90 days.

My mistake then, I was told 90 days to establish residency and then apply.

So, look at the link I sent. If you are visiting here before you move over AND have time... apply as Non Resident. So you'll be covered when you move here permanently. But if you are here... in your home here... apply as resident (once you get your Washington State driver's license)... residency can be proved in different ways for different purposes. For CPL - you can apply as non resident to make it really really easy.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:34 am
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

:wagwoot:

You will be welcomed to move out here.
It's not often that we get snow in the Seattle area.
And, almost never get down to Zero degrees temps.
Rarely do we see triple digit temps either.

Thank you for your service.
There are several people on here who have a DD214.

Go Navy !!!!

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Talonap wrote:
mash man wrote:
Navy Corpsman?

That's the same as an Army Medic, or a civilian Physician's Assistant/Para-Medic. Nothing to do with Zombies :bigsmile:

:gibbs: I too was a Corpsman.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:54 am

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
Do you have a reason to be near NAS Whidbey? Any reason to otherwise be on the Whidbey? Dont get me wrong, its nice out there, well out of OH it is. Just keep in mind irs forever from anywhere and if you to go anywhere, aside from the time, the traffic is sort of shitty. This is simply just do to the 1 way (by road) on and off the island. Personally, if you didnt have to be near the base, I'd pick somewhere else nearby. Anacortes, La Conner, Burlington areas are all nice. Skagit county has a very low tax compared to almost anywhere on the Westside. Housing is more expensive on the island due to it being near the base and an island. Lots of shooting to be had in the Skagit Valley. In fact, my typical shooting spot I run into shooters from the island almost every time.
Good luck, we look forward to adding another pro 2A resident!

One of the reasons we were thinking of Whidbey, is the free bus transportation on the island. We don't own a car at the moment, and would need a good transportation system. Not really any great need to be there specifically. My wife just asked me to inquire if there are any Senior Citizen Apartments around. So, I'm asking. :bigsmile:

Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:07 am

joao01 wrote:
I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that you're in the Reserve component and are partly looking to move close to a reserve unit. A little known fact is that JBLM has Navy and Marines http://www.lewis-mcchord.army.mil/navy_usmc.html.

I tend to agree with Jager...Whidbey is fairly challenging to get on/off. There may be other stations in the area you can swing that are more "convenient" for everyday life. I do hear that the Bellingham Airport is really stepping up and has a lot of great offerings to help prevent drives down to SeaTac Airport.

Not a reservist any more. Spent six years active duty and about six active reserve. Left it all behind about 26 years ago. :patriot: I am in the VA Health system, so we would need to find the nearest medical facility.

Last edited by Talonap on Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:10 am

mash man wrote:
Talonap wrote:
mash man wrote:
Navy Corpsman?

That's the same as an Army Medic, or a civilian Physician's Assistant/Para-Medic. Nothing to do with Zombies :bigsmile:

Oh! I thought you were asking what it was! :ROFLMAO: When were you in? I was 1968-72 and 75-77. On two carriers in the Med, and at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, MD.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Talonap wrote:
new daddy wrote:
Where in Illinois are you now?

About 30 miles south of Chicago - "Crook" County. :crybaby:

Oh, you mean you're from Wisconsin? Yeah, I'm from downstate......

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Talonap wrote:
mash man wrote:
Talonap wrote:
mash man wrote:
Navy Corpsman?

Oh! I thought you were asking what it was! :ROFLMAO: When were you in? I was 1968-72 and 75-77. On two carriers in the Med, and at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, MD.

Oh great another squid.

Welcome to the family. You will find more than a few of us here hold dd214's. Always glad to have another brother on board. Even a squid. Becareful with mash though... He'll whisper sweet nothings in your ear.

What kind shooting you doing? Or plan on doing once you get to the land formerly known of the free

Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen wrote:
Talonap wrote:
mash man wrote:
Talonap wrote:

Oh great another squid.

Welcome to the family. You will find more than a few of us here hold dd214's. Always glad to have another brother on board. Even a squid. Becareful with mash though... He'll whisper sweet nothings in your ear.

What kind shooting you doing? Or plan on doing once you get to the land formerly known of the free

Don't pay any attention to the shallow water pirate.

I left out of there in 2000.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Talonap wrote:
joao01 wrote:

Not a reservist any more. Spent six years active duty and about six active reserve. Left it all behind about 26 years ago. :patriot: I am in the VA Health system, so we would need to find the nearest medical facility.

There is an outpatient clinic in Mt. Vernon (next county over) and Island Transit will get you over to Skagit County.

You may also want to look at Thurston County, which offers a lot of the same rural/semi rural options as Island County, along with the functional transit system you described wanting, and easy access to VA facilities, without being stuck on an island where the only way off is a bridge or two ferries. (Grew up there, it's a great place to retire, but just disconnected enough from the rest of the world to get to you after a while).

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next