Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:23 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Open shooting 

Hi all, new to the site and to shooting. An experienced shooter and I would like to go shooting, but not at an indoor range. How do I find where to go? Been looking all over and I see pages that say parks, Federal lands, Bureau of Lands Management are all okay. But, nothing tells me where exactly any of that is. Help!

Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:08 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns!

Rifle or pistol? If rifle, check out the public shooting days at Cascade, which isn't too far from you: https://www.cascadeshootingfacilities.org/

Renton Fish & Game Club is also an option for you, for both rifle and pistol: http://rfgc.org/.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:11 pm

Sorry, I forgot to specify. Pistol. Very new to shooting and want to gain confidence and accuracy. I'm in Kent, friend is in Lynnwood.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:25 pm

BTW, looking for shooting on open lands, instead of a range. I found that you need to be a member with a lot of them and I'm not ready to commit to that, yet.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:26 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

mimib wrote:
BTW, looking for shooting on open lands, instead of a range. I found that you need to be a member with a lot of them and I'm not ready to commit to that, yet.

The ones I mentioned are open to the public (with fee) and don't require that you be a member.

Honestly . . . while the idea of going out to the great outdoors and blasting for free is appealing to all of us, it's a harsh reality for most of us in Western Washington that it's simply not worth the time or the gas to do it. You're better off going to RFGC with your friend, paying the $30-ish in fees (total for both of you), and having a good day of shooting.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:28 pm

Ahhh... okay. Thanks for letting me know! I'll check them out.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Honestly . . . while the idea of going out to the great outdoors and blasting for free is appealing to all of us, it's a harsh reality for most of us in Western Washington that it's simply not worth the time or the gas to do it. You're better off going to RFGC with your friend, paying the $30-ish in fees (total for both of you), and having a good day of shooting.

Especially if you're new to shooting.
And want to actually shoot without waiting for His Royal Pain in the Ass King Inslee to decree our right to bear arms shall no longer be infringed ('fire ban').
You'll likely spend as much on fuel to an outdoor place as you will the range fee.

But I like shooting outdoors because you can't do somersaults between shots at most ranges.

Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:08 pm
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

mimib,

welcomewgo

Welcome to WaGuns !!!

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
mimib wrote:

The ones I mentioned are open to the public (with fee) and don't require that you be a member.

On top of that - do yourself a favor and pay for some basic instruction, at least. Shooting, especially handgun shooting, is not something most people figure out very well on their own (and you are NOT automatically good at it by virtue of being a man and liking guns, contrary to what many seem to think). It's technically challenging to do well, and extremely dangerous to yourself and others if done wrong. You'll waste less ammo in the long run and potentially save yourself some grief by getting some decent instruction. Many indoor ranges offer that service; if you can't find anything closer the Skagit Shooting Range has several good options.

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]