Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Vepr in 7.62x54R work 

Not sure were to start, but I'm in Renton and I'm looking for gunsmith that will do following for Vepr in 7.62x54R:
-Barrel Match Grade Crowned
-Barrels checked for proper head spacing and adjusted as needed.
-Barrel threaded in 5/8-24, Front Sight Block face machined perpendicular to bore, shoulder is square and Suppressor Ready
-Front sight block aligned to bore (gas block original factory installation)
-Action smoothed out
-Magwell beveled
-Chamber polished
Rifle is brand new, 20.5 inch barrel. Basically trying to do the same thing as Definitive Arms, only with a bit longer barrel:
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/compone ... l?Itemid=0

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:03 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't know if he does that stuff or not, but I'd start with Fred at CaR Firearms in Kent.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:04 pm

MadPick wrote:
I don't know if he does that stuff or not, but I'd start with Fred at CaR Firearms in Kent.

Thank you! I'll start with them tomorrow.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:29 am

Crazy Russian wrote:
Not sure were to start, but I'm in Renton and I'm looking for gunsmith that will do following for Vepr in 7.62x54R:
-Barrel Match Grade Crowned good idea
-Barrels checked for proper head spacing and adjusted as needed. unnecessary and most gunsmiths have no idea how to properly headspace an AK. hint: for optimal headspace, bolt should close on a live round, but not close on either the go or no go gauge
-Barrel threaded in 5/8-24, Front Sight Block face machined perpendicular to bore, shoulder is square and Suppressor Ready okay
-Front sight block aligned to bore (gas block original factory installation) don't do this. only a handful of gunsmiths in the entire country know how to do this properly on a Vepr. the barrel components are dimpled on, not pinned. you want to adjust the front sight, not the FSB itself. you can easily adjust the front sight yourself
-Action smoothed out swap the trigger out to an ALG, don't "polish" the rails or anything silly like that
-Magwell beveled don't do this, the 54r is finicky about magazines already and removing material from the magwell will make the magazines wobble. are you using the csspecs mags or molot mags? if using the css mags, make sure your bolt is the correct version or it may need to be modded too
-Chamber polished unnecessary, likely to damage the irreplaceable barrel on your vepr
Rifle is brand new, 20.5 inch barrel. Basically trying to do the same thing as Definitive Arms, only with a bit longer barrel:

see my notes above

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:50 am

rstrobel wrote:
Crazy Russian wrote:
-Barrel Match Grade Crowned good idea
-Barrels checked for proper head spacing and adjusted as needed. unnecessary and most gunsmiths have no idea how to properly headspace an AK. hint: for optimal headspace, bolt should close on a live round, but not close on either the go or no go gauge
-Barrel threaded in 5/8-24, Front Sight Block face machined perpendicular to bore, shoulder is square and Suppressor Ready okay
-Front sight block aligned to bore (gas block original factory installation) don't do this. only a handful of gunsmiths in the entire country know how to do this properly on a Vepr. the barrel components are dimpled on, not pinned. you want to adjust the front sight, not the FSB itself. you can easily adjust the front sight yourself
-Action smoothed out swap the trigger out to an ALG, don't "polish" the rails or anything silly like that
-Magwell beveled don't do this, the 54r is finicky about magazines already and removing material from the magwell will make the magazines wobble. are you using the csspecs mags or molot mags? if using the css mags, make sure your bolt is the correct version or it may need to be modded too
-Chamber polished unnecessary, likely to damage the irreplaceable barrel on your vepr

see my notes above

I appreciate your input. Not trying to sound rude, but was wondering if you are a gunsmith yourself? And any other recommendations to make it more accurate?
Thank you in advance!

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:02 pm

Quote:

I appreciate your input. Not trying to sound rude, but was wondering if you are a gunsmith yourself? And any other recommendations to make it more accurate?
Thank you in advance!

Nope, not a gunsmith. Just a collector of RPK-style rifles.

It's an AK, it won't ever be as accurate as something like an AR or a bolt gun. The #1 way to improve the accuracy is going to be using high quality ammunition.

The two main drawbacks to the 54r model are the extractor and the magazines. The extractors break occasionally due to the length of the claw. Right now there are no replacements available. The magazines are shit because they're skinny and fit into a huge magwell, they're single stack, and the Molot magazines are notorious for jamming on the last round.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:38 pm

rstrobel wrote:
Quote:

Thank you in advance!

Nope, not a gunsmith. Just a collector of RPK-style rifles.

It's an AK, it won't ever be as accurate as something like an AR or a bolt gun. The #1 way to improve the accuracy is going to be using high quality ammunition.

The two main drawbacks to the 54r model are the extractor and the magazines. The extractors break occasionally due to the length of the claw. Right now there are no replacements available. The magazines are shit because they're skinny and fit into a huge magwell, they're single stack, and the Molot magazines are notorious for jamming on the last round.

I see. Thank You

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:53 pm

trying to accurize a 7.62x54r vepr into a DMR is a lost cause. been there done that. it's a nice 54r AK but not up to the task of accurizing.

also did an extensive slow mo video study of the ejection to try to come up with some way to prevent it from absolutely mangling all the brass -- also a lost cause. it's simply not possible.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:04 am

What's different about headspacing an AK? Couldn't you just just buy the gauges and do it yourself?

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:57 am

sreyemj wrote:
What's different about headspacing an AK? Couldn't you just just buy the gauges and do it yourself?

Yes, if you understand how to do it and have the correct tools. Most people will just go by the "closes on a go gauge, doesn't close on a no go" test which is far from ideal. You want it tighter than that.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]