Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:32 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Help, stripped screw in surefire scout ring mount 

hey all,

i was trying to swap out the mount on my scout. used a star bit to try and remove the two surefire screws holding the rings to the factory mount. one came out just fine, the other stripped. anyone available with the capabilities to get this thing out?

thanks,
caleb

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you said "stripped" do you mean the screw head or the threads?

If the screw head, one way to solve the problem is to get a driver bit that you are willing to sacrifice. Clean out the socket int he screw head using acetone and a sharp pointed tool that will allow you to remove any coating and rough up the metal in and around the "socket". De-grease the driver bit too. Then use some J-B weld to bond the bit in the hole and let cure at least 24 hours. When cured try again but be careful to twist without tilting bit.

If anyone has used loctite on the screws, put some heat to the mount itself. A soldering gun/iron is a good way to do this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since it is obviously tight enough to strip, heat it before trying again. I've had luck in the past force fitting a hex wrench or flat tip screwdriver in a stripped star drive screw. Worst case, you'll have to drill through the head of the screw to get it loose.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly. Also, please forgive my spelling or grammatical errors. If my post doesn't make sense or is not amusing, it's technology's fault and most certainly not operator ɹoɹɹǝ. Thank You

Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it has a good sized head on it, you can use a dremel with a cut off wheel to make a slot across it for a standard screwdriver. Heat the screw area so the at the shank gets heated. A screwdriver should remove it. Just be careful so you don't scratch everything up while making the slot. You can use some tape around the area to protect it.

Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:38 pm

Thanks everyone for the insight and the offers to help. I got it out! The torx head was stripped. And it was in a tight spot. Ended up being able to get a good grip on it and slowly turning it loose with a tiny needle nose!

Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]