Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:52 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Older Browning Lever (BLR) lever stuck open 

Hi-

Hope one of you might be familiar with taking down an older BLR. My daughter has a nice little .243, and after she shot her deer last week the lever and action locked open. It’s super tight, and out of my experience zone. I believe Browning had “timing” gears and more than likely it’s out of place. But it hasn’t been overhauled in 30 years… anyone familiar and able to take a look for me? All I know is, everyone says this isn’t a project for me to do- definitely requires someone familiar.

In the Bonney Lake area

Thanks,
Josh

Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This may not help, but I had pretty much the exact same thing happen with my Henry .45 LC. What happened what my friend tried to load the magazine tube with the lever open. A round got jammed into the action and we couldn't get it out with the tools I had with me at the range (plus it was brand new and I didn't want to scar it up by being in a hurry). Once I got it home and after some reading, I simply unscrewed the lever and removed the cover plate. From there it was easy to remove the errant round, screw it back together and everything worked again as expected.

Like I said this may not apply to a Browning, but it might be simpler than you think to remedy the problem.

Good luck.

Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That was my initial thought, which is somethingbjammed in the ammo feeding. We have some mossbergs that like to jan with lift gate.
Could be the gears, but before you get to involved, look for potential jams or misaligned action/reciever parts.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:38 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks guys- this rifle takes a box mag and it came out ok. Bolt is back and lever down and open. When I get home, will see if a gear might have slipped….will let you know either way

Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My BLR 30-06 did the exact same thing. Upon closer inspection the bolt had moved back farther than it should have. The gunsmith I used to repair it is long since passed away unfortunately—he had a collection of BLRs and from memory, they have a rather finicky rack & pinion gear system that needs to be timed correctly upon reassembly.

Last edited by CQBgopher on Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Found this, if anyone is brave enough to help the fella out.

https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16858

Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CQBgopher wrote:
Found this, if anyone is brave enough to help the fella out.

https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16858

After reading through that thread, I might be willing to attempt it on my own rifle (I don't own a BLR), but it wouldn't occur to me to try it on someone else's, I'd be afraid of bunging it up. I've looked into stripping down my Winchester 30-30 and...nope, not going to do it. I'll clean it as best I can w/o getting into it's guts.

Again, good luck. At least now you've got a reference if you decide to try it yourself.

Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:30 am
Profile WWW

Thanks for that- I was nervous before…terrified now! Hahaha

Crap…

Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:29 pm

Do not take it apart, you will never get it back together. Had to send mine out to a Browning authorized gunsmith in Oregon to get it put back together. Don't remember his name right now but he got it working again in no time.

Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:57 pm

Thanks guys- Gerry, if your recall who it was.. please holler out. It’s an earlier model and Browning won’t support it. Looks like there might be a smith in Missouri

Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:42 am
FFL / Dealer

I can re time it.

Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:49 am

Try acgunworks@gmail.com

Jeff is the gunsmith.

Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]